Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
kaldskryke

Salt from Saltwater

30 posts in this topic

Salt from saltrock should still be easier and less time consuming, but it would be nice if you could generate salt from saltwater. Distilling mechanics could also be used in concentrated alcohols or something.

Distilling is way out of the time frame of early game stone-age. You would also need to evaporate an extreme amount of salt water to get the same amount of salt from a single piece of salt rock.. making the coding to implement such a system more hassle than its worth.

Since we're on the topic, wouldn't it make more sense to have salt form as mineral pockets rather than a full-blown rock layer?

Perhaps in a future build, but from a mod standpoint it is always better to use existing blocks for new things, than to create new ones.

I don't understand, mineral pockets?

So like how you find pockets of minerals like cryolite, and graphite, and kaolinite. He's suggesting we add a salt mineral to that list.

ok cool, thank you. could be cool.....alternatively to quern salt rocks. :)
And since salt brings flavours right, does it mean that salted meats bring more chance to have tasteful meals?  :)

It does not. The chance of tasteful meals has to do with the internal foodIDs in combination with the world seed and the player's skill. A salted piece of meat has the same foodID as a non-salted piece of meat; it just has a different NBT flag on it, which isn't used in the calculation.

Since this seems like a good place to mention, as a possible alternative to salt being distilled from salt-water, what about natural deposits on the shore line? In some areas salt water gets caught in pools or splashed high on rocks and natural deposits form. This is especially common around areas of land-locked salt water like The Black Sea, or The Great Salt lake. Further, if any sort of 'history' might be taken into account, you could also have some deserts form salt flats, large expanses of flat mineral salts like you have in Nevada and the like. I understand this might be difficult, especially if you are making a salt lake, or a salt flat biome, but it would be neat to see, and provide an alternate source for those who play an extended stone-age. I could see salt gained from these sources already being in powder form, ready to use.

Gypsum and other soluble minerals often form as evaporite deposits as well.

Don't we already have a gypsum mineral that isn't used for anything?

one doesn't actually need to distill salt water to get salt.  You can just set it in a shallow vessel in the sun.  Near where I live they have these huge concrete pools where they dry out the seawater for sale on an industrial level.  We'd only need, say, a hollow in a stone, like an unfinished forge.  Throw in a bucket of salt water and come back a few days later.  Maybe destroyed by rain.

How about use a bowl to get a bowl of saltwater, the leave it out in the sun(place it like you would pottery) and after some time, it turns into a bowl of salt, and you take the salt

You get 4 salt items from a single rock. There isn't enough salt in salt water for a single bowl's worth to produce the equivalent of 1/4th of the rock.

You get 4 salt items from a single rock. There isn't enough salt in salt water for a single bowl's worth to produce the equivalent of 1/4th of the rock.

Sea water averages 35 grams (~1.2 oz) of salt for every liter of seawater. I could see 1 salt, but no more per bowl. If it ever exists, it a bowl of water should be placed down in sunlight with the same mechanic to place down ceramics.

Have it be a barrel instead of a dish, and produce one or two salt... piles?  Lumps? Cubes? idk... salt... items.

I think they're redoing barrel mechanics right now, might be a good time for it.

Have it be a barrel instead of a dish, and produce one or two salt... piles?  Lumps? Cubes? idk... salt... items.

I think they're redoing barrel mechanics right now, might be a good time for it.

Doubt that a barrel would believable. The point of a bowl is the fact that the sun can evaporate the water and the salt can be scraped from the bowl into a pile.

How bout a jug?

Distilling is way out of the time frame of early game stone-age. You would also need to evaporate an extreme amount of salt water to get the same amount of salt from a single piece of salt rock.. making the coding to implement such a system more hassle than its worth.

--

Kitty, distillation is out of the timeframe of the stone age... But not of the iron age. Also, to make salt you only need a jar with saltwater, let it to dry in the sun and ready. It isn't that difficult.

In many countries by salty oceans people will dig pits about four feet deep in the beach and leave them, when the water in them evaporates, there is left massive chunks of salt (like slabs).

These pits are an incredibly cheap way to yield large amounts of salt.

Maby in terrafirmacraft you could dig a pit in a beach, it could have a layer of water appear, which, if left alone would result in a medium, r small amount of salt. In real life, it is as simple as digging a hole in a beach to get salt, though it is done in countries by very salty oceans (like the Persian Gulf)

There are other methods like this used to collect salt (like salt ponds) which are very simple and could be thought of to implement in terrafirmacraft.

Something I've been wanting to see is glaciers. I know this has nothing to do with salt from evaporated water. But if we add glaciers, salt pans (Massive salt fields) could be added. These are formed by the evaporation of water bodies. These will spawn in deserts. 

Sorry for the random suggestion, but I'm not wishing to make another topic...

Let's get back to the salt water, wouldn't this will make it very inefficient, tedious and almost not worth it? if you can get 4 salt of a single rock, in a few seconds of grinding it. You'll skit this entire long process. I know that this could be useful for those who are having trouble finding rock salt, but I've seen it almost everywhere, it's the most common thing I see, besides surface galena.

But it will also add another small thing to do in TFC, like a "hobby" or something you do when you're really bored, or in need...

If any system were implemented to allow the evaporation of salt water into salt, it would have to be done with salt water in containers. If it was a matter of making a hole and filling it with salt water and walking away, it would be very difficult to code so that the game knows only to evaporate that little pool of salt water, and not per se the entire ocean.

so, but some salt water in a barrel, wait a few days, and salt happens?

sounds good to me!

so, but some salt water in a barrel, wait a few days, and salt happens?

sounds good to me!

Wait like a month... which would be fine.  Not having salt for your meat really sucks.  Maybe code in some temperature dependence too.

What about filling a bowl/vessel of salt, then place it by the sun, wait one day or two, and it gives one small clump of salt that, if 4 combined gives the normal lump of salt we know?