Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Visitor

New food system tweak

1 post in this topic

I am quite happy with the new food system and the fact that varied diet has some meaning, however I'd like to suggest some tweaking of it, for the sake of both undisturbed, pleasant gameplay and realism/believability which to my knowledge is one of the priorities here.

Namely, I don't think that each food group should directly be responsible for equal percent of maximum HP. While nutrition is affecting health, often the effect of malnutrition is very long-term and even then any nehative effects can be easily staved off with a bit of lacked element found elsewhere.

Additionaly, not all of the food groups are as important for maintaining health:

For example, one can exclude breads from the diet (currently, after changes, the only grain-derived edibles) and still be very healthy provided he has a steady supply of products from other groups. Similarly, one can derive enough calcium from nuts, leafy vegetables or fish that in combination with easy access to meat and plants in general, there should be no problem with abstaining from dairy as all the necessary nutrition would be provided. In comparison, dropping meat, vegetables or fruits (though vegetables can temporarily maintain a person not fond of fruits and vice versa) would be far more disastreous for health.

That combined with the fact that strongly encouraging players to play dietitian, I'd like to suggest two things:

- Different percentage of max hp different food groups are responsible for (as mentioned above, living without bread [which in turn loses much nutritious value if it's not whole-grain] is easy, less so without vegetables).

- Losing temporarily percentage of max hp if more than 1 food group bar is empty.

Given the changes to seed availability and rotting mechanics, it may be good for balance in general as while variety is important and the system is step forward from letting players just gulp down all those porchops all the time, forcing player to constantly control level of half a dozen of different bars while keeping an eye on decaying stocks of food or be punished otherwise may not be the best way to tackle the problem, especially should players be unlucky to spawn in a world where certain foodstuffs from a certain group is harder to procure.

Ultimately, of course, it's just a thought to consider.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0