Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Takatifu

New to multiplayer servers

3 posts in this topic

I've been watching Pakratt's videos of him and his buddies playing on a TFC co-op server and looks really fun but i haven't played multiplayer yet.

Speaking in general (not only TFC multiplayer):

What should i expect in SMP?

Do i need to know something beforehand? there's something called protection and a /mytown command, what are those things?

And now speaking of TFC in particular, is it even more resource intensive than solo play?

Because it lags a bit on my pc after 5 minutes of playing

I've posted it on this subforum because it isn't all about TFC

for the commands : http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/mytown/pages/commands-and-permission-nodes/

From my experience, griefers will be the main downside. It can be hard to prevent people from destroying or steeling your stuff. When I played on a server, people burned down the town, my house burned twice, then in a remote island secret underwater base, someone stole all my things, then in a super safe ingot deposit someone breaked in (even if it's virtually impossible to get in without permission to open the trapdoor) and took everything. Even if there is my town or towny or any protection mod, people might be able to find a way in (using fire/chisel.... anything that they can).

So if you play with nice people who respect other players, it's fun. I had some crazy mining expeditions, building a town with the others and it was extremely fun. I would consider myself as a good community player, but it's not the case for all other players.

Best thing to do is to try and see by yourself

My game runs much smoother in SMP, presumably because the server does the heavy lifting. If you're playing SSP with fast graphics, you might find that you can go up to fancy graphics with a far render distance. Time doesn't stop when you log off so your crops will continue to grow but they will also wither away if you don't log back in to harvest them in time.

All players spawn in the same area where starting resources are eventually depleted and new players such as yourself will have to travel great distances before starting. Alternatively you can join a town. Town "chunks" are protected. Only town members and allied towns can modify their contents. Bioxxville on the happydiggers server goes one step further and town members have private plots that only they or a select list of their friends can access or modify. This eliminates griefing from members of allied cities or new town members. It took a little planning to design the town accordingly but it works well now. You can always complain to a server admin and have changes reversed but personal plot protection makes everyone's life easier.

If you're going solo on a server that doesn't have protection, you're more vulnerable. On a previous server, I designed an underground base that was all in one chunk. This meant that either it rendered completely for others walking by or it didn't render at all. If you build on a chunk boundary others might see inside your base if one chunk loads and the other doesn't. I used a single transparent farmland block surrounded by trees for the "sky access" of the blast furnace and forge and animals farms were at least 16 blocks down to avoid hearing them at the surface. Everything was self-contained. It worked well on that server but it would be ineffective on the happydiggers server where everyone can see you at tfc.happydiggers.net

Have fun!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0