Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Bioxx

Staying with 1.6.4 discussion

Staying with 1.6.4   54 members have voted

1. 1. How would you feel if we stayed with 1.6.4?

• Very Disappointed
    • Somewhat Disappointed
    • Doesn't matter to me
    • I'm glad
    • I'm happy

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

35 posts in this topic

This thread is for discussing the prospect of staying with 1.6.4 moving forward.

After some further testing it appears that my issues are limited to running the game in eclipse. I built a jar of the mod and played in a live environment where it performs quite well, so this entire discussion is moot :)

If older versions perform better for more people I'm all for staying at 1.6.4. I can see why it would be a bad idea to fall too far behind in keeping up with the vanilla updates in the long term but for the short term it seems reasonable.

Since TFC modify so heavily Minecraft I do not think that moving is needed unless it add things to the game, improve the performance, keep up to date with the best mods (or useful ones), and/or that makes things easier for the devs to program things or to play with mechanics that aren't available at 1.6.4. The only thing that I like about 1.7+ is that I can change the volume of the weather effects (no more annoying rain). 

b78 is pretty awesome. not sure how I feel about 1.7; I haven't played it much... I don't really think it matters in terms of TFCs direction of progress but that's just speculation.

I think TFC is another game, separated of the normal minecraft, i add only a few more mods to mi minecraft profile (like antique atlas couse dont like the unrealistic minimap of other mods) If you keep adding content and modders keep doing addons in terms of the content and mechanics 1.7 dont matter at all.

In the other hand i see in posts that 1.7 is more manejable for users, it adds the realms, its easier to make and mix texturepacks. Dont know the other things 1.7 adds but im sure that its necesari to sare information in this post to realise if its deserves to be upgraded to 1.7.

In any case i dont going to kick TFC for the first place of mi favourite mods. So decide wisely, couse im glad that people like you make this mods, couse im to lazy to learn how to make mods.

Sorry for the english. Im form Spain.

Well, on my part i don't really care if its 1.6.4 or 1.7. 

Apart from better sound options and colored glass 1.7 doesn't add a whole lot i would care about. 

On the other hand "forge" is required to install TFC. afaik, the forge creators dont support the older versions anymore, so that could possibly cause problems.

I don't think stopping progress is good idea. But if moving to 1.7 is such a problem and there is no big advantage to it, then the priority of this change could be reduced. But then there is question if it is possible to maintain both 1.6.4 and incomplete 1.7 version at the same time. Either way I think giving up on it completely is a big no. Take a little break from hacking 1.7 and maybe return to it after some time. Then you might update it piece by piece.

If you continue doing better with 1.6 than Mojang can do with 1.7, I feel no hurry for change.

... I just don't understand why we should stay in 1.6.4, and for how long.

However, I would say that there is reasons to go toward the development of 1.7 port.

- Emris have done a lot of work on the 1.7 update and I would see it as an insult to him to ditch his work.

- The translation doc have been updated to the 1.7 .lang format, I don't exactly feel like undoing all the changes when I know I would have to do it again for a future 1.7 release. Do you want to code 1.6.4 to use .lang file? If nobody change back the file, then there will be no more language update and no translation of new items.

- Nuchaz from Bibliocraft seems to be willing to make a TFC addon for Bibliocraft and he is releasing a 1.7 version soon and he will not develop a new addon for 1.6.4

- It seems it would allow the fix of some bug like custom bow animation.

- And I think that some things have been fixed for 1.7 and not for the next build 78 release.

And really, why should we stay in 1.6.4 ?

I think it's ok to work on 1.6.4 if the changes are applied to the 1.7 branch and that there is still work on the 1.7 update too.

I really don't care, but I feel that TFC works fine in 1.6.4, and there is no real reason to update to 1.7

I mean, what will it give us? new biomes? TFC kinda destroys the vanilla terrain gen so that won't do anything.

New wood? We have that, and it won't matter as we'll have to change it to fit TFC anyways. New fishing enchantments and new fish? We don't have brewing or enchantmens, so pufferfish and enchantments are useless. Salmon and clownfish can be nice, I suppose. New blocks?(podzol, packed ice, red sand, etc) These have no good use, and are made by terreain gen anyways, which in TFC, is totally different. New commands? Achievements? Fishing changes?

The 1.7 changes might be great and all, but if it doesn't work with TFC, it'll be kinda redundant, you know?

And even if all the mods go to 1.7 and we can't use TFC with other mods, so what? TFC works fine on it's own, and while other mods might be fun to have, I don't think not being able to play with other mods will have a huge impact in the gameplay. I don't think we should update just so we can play TFC with other mods in their up-to-date versions. If you want to play other mods, play other mods, and if you want to play TFC, play TFC. Simple as that(And anyways, the 1.6.4 versions of other mods works fine now, and they'll work fine for all of eternity and a day. Just use em.)

Also, Just looking around, it looks like the 1.7 update had a bit of code change or something that made it really hard for the modders or something(I don't code, so I wouldn't know :/)

If the modmakers want to stay in 1.6.4, I would say stay. They are the ones making the mod after all.

The 1.7 changes might be great and all, but if it doesn't work with TFC, it'll be kinda redundant, you know?

There are more changes that sand and blocks in 1.7+. By no means I'm an expert in modding Minecraft (I just made some simple weapons not long ago), but if 1.7 actually ease modding and/or make things that in 1.6.4 would be a nightmare to mod  or impossible I think that it'll be important to move forward. Also, as was pointed out, forge stop supporting 1.6.4 and that is a bad sign for 1.6.4 modders in the sense of bugs and whatnot. 

The right question, in order to make a better decision, would be; what are the modding difference between 1.6.4 and 1.7.+ and how would they impact TFC in the long run? 

I agree with AllenWL

You have limited development resources and you're devoting a portion of them to playing catch up with Mojang instead of coding the features you actually want to code. Code what you want now and then play catch up later with MC 2.0 or whatever's around the corner once TFC is polished.

what does 1.7 truly have?

I'd say you should just stay on 1.6.4 unless you really need something that 1.7 has (performance, the translation stuff, whatever). Since this is a total conversion mod, upgrading is always going to cause a lot of work on bug fixing and undoing vanilla changes. I'd rather see effort put into new gameplay and features. MC 1.8 is right around the corner and then you're going to have to do this all again if you keep trying to stay up to date.

Like ___Frank said, you don't want to be constantly playing catch up and not working on new features. At least wait until Mojang stops rewriting all the code and then port to that version, whatever it may be.

what does 1.7 truly have?

Functional logins once namechange goes in.

I'd say you should just stay on 1.6.4 unless you really need something that 1.7 has (performance, the translation stuff, whatever). Since this is a total conversion mod, upgrading is always going to cause a lot of work on bug fixing and undoing vanilla changes. I'd rather see effort put into new gameplay and features. MC 1.8 is right around the corner and then you're going to have to do this all again if you keep trying to stay up to date.

Like ___Frank said, you don't want to be constantly playing catch up and not working on new features. At least wait until Mojang stops rewriting all the code and then port to that version, whatever it may be.

I will say, everything they touch, is different every time. Either do it incrementally, to try and keep pace, or spend for ever dealing with *everything* having changed, all at once.

1.7 changes are almost all content wise, wich we don't care because we play a total conversion mod. And if there is performance gains and loss, then that's what needs to be put in equation.

Players complaining about not being able to play other mods is not aceptable, TFC is incompatible with almost all of them(the only mods I use have all older version for 1.6.4). Also, the launcher allows us to use multiple version with different profiles and mods on it, so I don't see the issue on playing a mod with an older version of MC

Why don't the devs utilize things added in vanilla 1.7? Red sand could be a new way to get iron. Podzol could have more max nutrition in exchange of immobility. Packed ice would be used in 'refrigerator' structure to cool food. Extract poison from pufferfish(but the potion effect itself is broken).

I'd gladly upgrade to 1.7 for this mod.

cpw? Is that truly you?

If we don't change in the next update, that's fine with me (after all, Better Grass and Leaves seems to be staying 1.6.4 for good), but the update does need to come.  

... I just don't understand why we should stay in 1.6.4, and for how long.

<snip>

And really, why should we stay in 1.6.4 ?

I think it's ok to work on 1.6.4 if the changes are applied to the 1.7 branch and that there is still work on the 1.7 update too.

If you've read the post on the home page, the main reason why Bioxx is considering staying on 1.6.4 is because of just how resource heavy and laggy 1.7 is. Not just with the FPS, but down to the core of the game with how slow chunks load and all of that. A lot of people with older systems who can even run TFC on 1.6.4 with no issues, can't run Vanilla 1.7. It's that bad.

I would say, unless its very hard. Possibly just make the jump every other update? Because this would make it to where the Port to a new MC version would be less often and allow for content focused updates, while still not being so far behind that it would cut down on mod support. So I vote to stay with 1.6.4 until 1.8 comes out.Like I said though, if porting 1.6 -> 1.8 would be really hard compared to 1.6 -> 1.7 -> 1.8.Also, if we could get the content from 1.7 without the coding changes, that would be nice, I want hardened clay and colored glass!

There's certainly both pros and cons of staying with 1.6.4, though I may be looking at current devteam's choice somewhat more favorably than it's alternative.

On one hand, TFC will probably have to catch up with newer clients, especially since with time they will offer plenty of features it will be a big loss to not take advantage of. However, on the other, stability and performance are some of the biggest problems when it comes to this mod. Already, many players experience issues as TFC is somewhat demanding and I strongly believe that any decisions that will exacerbate the problem should be reconsidered. If anything, attempts at optimization should be of some priority, rather than taking risks that the whole thing will be choking even more.

Thus, I'd say that staying with 1.6.4 is lesser of two evils, for now at least.

The reason I am disappointed for the lack of transferring to newer versions is not because of 1.7, but because of the future 1.8. This new update mostly adds technical blocks and stuff that wouldn't be of use to casual players, but there are people such as this:

and this

that make really cool tricks that can be done using command blocks that can only work for the future 1.8 update. I would like some way to have there be a way of increasing a certain type of fighting skill like hand-to-hand combat, or swordsmanship which are both immersive and realistic aspects that could be used with this mod. I am sad that it became too difficult for the team to work for this, but think about the possibilities.