Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TomatoThief

Open Air Latrine Design

10 posts in this topic

Somebody referred to their stone age hut as a "latrine", which I found poetic, so that's what I call my early huts now.

This is how I've settled on building my latrines in every game: (apologies for no pictures)

• Flatten the top of a small hill, getting a stack of dirt
  • Layer 1: Make a 9x9 dirt wall (32 blocks) which encompasses 7x7 interior living space.
  • Layer 2: On top of the dirt wall, place the same amount of "stacked" logs (32)
  • Layer 3: Make an 11x11 "brim" of thatch above and around the logs. This prevents spiders from crawling over.
  • Forget the roof!

Now you have a latrine that is essentially an open-air courtyard which is fully protected from mobs, provided there are no higher elevations where you can be shot. The 7x7 interior is very spacious, with plenty of room for fires, pit kilns, tool racks, and chests. If it rains, you can extend some thatch out over the fire. I put a piece of dirt on the interior corners to easily climb up and survey the area. Before (and after) you get a door, you can have some dirt on the outside close enough for you to sprint straight into the house where mobs can't follow.

I'm so enamored with this simple design that I use it to start with in every world I play (I only do Hardcore, so I play a LOT of worlds). There are easier and more efficient latrines, but I find this an excellent compromise of resources and aesthetics. I used to use solid thatch, but cutting all that grass became mind-numbing. I enjoy making this one, and can get it done well before first nightfall.

This is pretty much how I start every game too (I also only do hardcore for single player worlds). I use thatch for an entry door since it's easily broken by hand to get back in. Also, a torch in the center keeps the 7x7 area lit where mobs won't spawn.

Is this supposed to be in the "Suggestions" portion of the forums?

I think the guides section... nice guide though

Yeah this belongs in the Guide section, which does need more frequent posts.

You... might want to look up "latrine" in a dictionary.

Stikl, coil dwelling :)

Isn't a latrine a bathroom building? I thought this would be some sort of guide on how to build a Roman-style flowing water latrine... with cloth-topped wiping sticks and all!

I usually dig either 2 or 3 deep square, and cover with logs.  In a pinch you can make a reasonable sized hut with only 6 logs which is easy to obtain within the first day.  If you need more space you can always just expand.  Later ingame when you want to build a proper home you can always just build ontop of your hut and turn it into a cellar.

If somebody referred to their hut as a latrine they were being very tongue-in-cheek. An open air latrine is would essentially be a hole you $#!t in. Good to know spiders don't try to climb through thatch though.

Cant even start on how much the use of the word Latrine bothers me. But hey have fun. If you want to cal your first base a toilet is up to you.

That apart, that's a design that I have used in some occasions, although I usually make a priority to look for clay, then all I need to do is dig under and make my first base underground with  log piles for a door. Another advantage is that I can start using the clay during the night. In case I cant find clay right away I have resorted to designs similar to the OP. In any case there is no way I would build anything if is not close to water and clay.