Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Muffinkiller1

Use for lead, smithing practice

27 posts in this topic

Lead is a very malleable material in nature, you should be able to work it regardless of temperature. granted the tool parts & pieces gathered would be useless due to this malleability.

So a single lead ingot can be formed in to a tool part & the finished product can be melted to be reshaped into an ingot. lead also can be welded together with no flux when heated to welding temperature, this process will not count towards your total smithing skill & is just a way to practice without wasting a large amount of coal & flux resources.

the process is the same for double ingots, sheets, & double sheets.

Smithing is difficult & working with a metal that's always permeable would allow one to get the hang of it without wasting time reheating the ingots to a workable level.

The only problem with this suggestion is that the red arrow placement for tools is different for every metal. So a pickaxe made out of wrought iron uses a different combination of button presses to complete than one made out of black steel. You would still be able to practice smithing as the general idea to get a feel for how the mechanic works, but you wouldn't be able to actually get any specific practice to figure out how to make a specific tool.

That's exactly what i was trying to say, lead working as just a method of practice, not a shortcut, it needs the balance there.

It could also be used to train your smithing level without using resources if you really want to do that

Lead could have really simple arrow placements, so you can get a feel for what move moves the arrow how much. And you can also get a feel for how hot a metal should be to do what and how long it takes for metal to cool and stuff like that

That would help a lot, I think.

It could also be used to train your smithing level without using resources if you really want to do that

I'd actually be rather worried about this aspect. So far, all skills improve through the irreversible actions. Lead as a material that could be easily reshaped back and forth between ingot and a finished metalwork product, without use of any resources, for training would make the whole idea of the smithing skill get wasted as gameplay concerning it would boil down to grinding it till anyone with a bit of spare time is a decent smith. I wouldn't be fond of that.

I would love this to be appreciated, as long as smithing lead does not affect smithing skill.

grinding it till anyone with a bit of spare time is a decent smith.

Well, the main post does say that it shouldn't effect your smiting skills....

Well, the main post does say that it shouldn't effect your smiting skills....

That I am aware of. I'd like to point out that I was quoting Dano6655's post where suggestion of it actually training smithing skill through continuous reshaping of lead was proposed, not OP.

Lead could have really simple arrow placements, so you can get a feel for what move moves the arrow how much. And you can also get a feel for how hot a metal should be to do what and how long it takes for metal to cool and stuff like that

That would help a lot, I think.

Maybe Lead Arrows could give the mob poison.  (lead poisoning)

That I am aware of. I'd like to point out that I was quoting Dano6655's post where suggestion of it actually training smithing skill through continuous reshaping of lead was proposed, not OP.

Oh ok, sorry for misunderstanding.

Maybe Lead Arrows could give the mob poison.  (lead poisoning)

I dunno, lead poisoning won't be a instant effect, and won't lead be a bit too soft to penetrate, especially if the target has armor or thick hides?

Additionally, lead would also probably be so soft that the arrowhead would deform on impact. Lead as a practice metal has some merit, and I like that idea.

Additionally, lead would also probably be so soft that the arrowhead would deform on impact. Lead as a practice metal has some merit, and I like that idea.

but if you made it sharp enough and just used lead plating with something harder underneath you could give them lead poisening :ph34r:

but if you made it sharp enough and just used lead plating with something harder underneath you could give them lead poisening :ph34r:

Which would horribly kill them in just about five or so years, if you try doing this consistently. What a way to go

Then, it will not be a lead arrowhead but a lead coated arrowhead.

And it probably won't introduce enough lead into you bloodstream to cause lead poisoning unless they leave the arrowhead in their body for a really long time or something.

I mean, a lot of guns use lead pallets, but have you ever heard of somenone getting lead poisoning by getting shot by a lead pallet?

I mean, a lot of guns use lead pallets, but have you ever heard of somenone getting lead poisoning by getting shot by a lead pallet?

enWiki has mentioned animals (and people) getting lead poisoning from eating game meats. So there you have it.

But that's because of the buildup of lead after eating loads of lead-riddled meat. Not a cause of getting shot by a lead pallet(which will most likely be removed somewhat fast, and not effect the body that much)

And it's not like they took one bite and fell over dead

Just getting stabbed by a lead arrowhead will not have any effect, at least not for a bit of time

Besides, romans used lead jugs to store their wine. and it had no ill effects visible, or fast enough that made them think that it had something to do with the lead jug

Maybe Lead and be a decorative item.  They can we crafted to strips (like planks), circles, squares, ect to be placed on the wall.  Or Lead and Sand to make a clear glass block and pane.

talking lead:
"Lead is very resistant to corrosion - lead pipes from Roman times are still in use today - and it is often used to store corrosive liquids"

Do we have corrosive liquids?

Maybe if we can make lead blocks then chisel it

I really think we need to be able to make solid metal chiselable blocks (not ingot piles) so I can have a gold toilet and platinum throne.

Do we have corrosive liquids?

Maybe if we can make lead blocks then chisel it

no, however lead was used in the roman ages for piping, did they have corrosive liquids?

Besides, romans used lead jugs to store their wine. and it had no ill effects visible, or fast enough that made them think that it had something to do with the lead jug

Well, for one thing, most of them died for other reasons before any symthoms showed up. Second thing is that light forms of lead poisoning aren't that obvious without blood levels analysis, and if someone actually died from it, they wouldn't know why anyways.

Lead has had significant use through the ages. Apart from pipes, lead was, and still is extensively used as a roofing material, generally forming th water proof gullies on buildings.

When used in sheet form, or even to beat or join sheets, it takes a lot of practice and skill to get it right, otherwise it sags, splits, or goes "thin". Producing complex joint such as "saddles" (the 3 dimensional coller when a hip, such as the top of a porch, joins the main roof) takes a lot of skill to get right.

Lead working, and lead working tools, should therefore be considered as seperate skills and seperate tools.. they are not hammers!

Lead is subject to corrosion by both acid and alkali, being more susceptable to the latter than the former. When used as a gully on an oak or chestnut roof, the constant leeching of tannin has significant impact on the lead, hence it is generally treated with an oil (unfortunately I can't rememebr how or from what it's made).

And you can also get a feel for how hot a metal should be to do what and how long it takes for metal to cool and stuff like that

Given how soft lead is when cold, you probably wouldn't actually get a feel for this by practicing with lead.