Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
ziat007

A use for gems, Trinkets. More Equipment slots.

31 posts in this topic

The idea is that there would be a whole new technological branch jewelry-crafting. This would give small buffs and conveniences.

To house these new gems there would be multiple equipment slots.
Necklaces and rings would be a great start for these slots.

New equipment slots:

• Ring
  • Ring
  • Neckless
  • Arm Braclet

The items:

• Ring
  • Bracelet
  • Neckless
  • Amulet

The Materials:

Metals acceding quality:

• Brass
  • Bronze
  • Silver
  • 9K Gold (37.5% pure gold)
  • 18K Gold (75% pure gold)
  • Rose Gold 18K (75% pure gold)
  • 22K or 24K Gold (91.6% pure gold) (or just pure)
  • Platinum

Gems acceding quality:

• 4 sizes
  • require chipping before use

Trinket bosuns (the highest bonus possible)

• 10% mining speed
  • 10% bonus seeds and crops
  • 10% strength (attack damage)
  • 10% Defence
  • etc

Art needed:

• Ring, all metals (inventory, on player)
  • Neckless, all metals (inventory, on player)
  • Amulet, all metals (inventory, on player)
  • Bracelet, all metals (inventory, on player)
  • Gems, uncut
  • Gems, cut (chipped) (inventory, on player)

The on player models could be easily generated in game with metainf. I assume if gems have a use they would not come out cut, it just does not seem the terma way :P

Creating the Jewellery (the whole process):

Chipping the gem:

• a similar to knapping minigame
  • If the gem is ruined you can chip down to the next smaller size.
  • I just thought of a amazing and real life accurate minigame!
  • The gem has a random uneven knapping profile. It would not be a perfect square and you have too make a gem shape. (Very similar to the real process)
  • This is obviously done at a table with a magnifying glass and a diamond chisel?

Crafting the Jewellery

• Here the choice of metal and gem is made. 
  • Of course there is some smithing like minigame.
  • A gem does not have too be insured, creating a necklace with a very tiny bonus or none.
  • Up to a certain amount of gems may be inserted, I think 3 would be a nice number.

A VERY quick visual:
Posted Image

The old stuff:

Balancing:

Brass would be the least powerful up to platinum, which obviously the most powerful. Maybe even multiple types of golds, etc.
The type of gem and quantity would define the type of buff, and the quality the strength. More gems would require higher levels. These levels would NOT be lost on death.
Also this would be modified by the skill level of the crafter.
The calculation would be something like (metal type + gem quality + gem quantity)*0,1X
X being the skill level.

Uses:
These buffs would be minor and convenience.
The system should be good for servers which would add a valuable trading resource.

If you have any sugestions I will moderate this thread.

Edited by ziat007

A system like this could use the Baubles Mod, which may be compatible with TFC and Thaumcraft 4 is currently using it too. However, I believe the devs have stated that they don't want to give enchantment-like buffs to the players, and honestly, I wouldn't really like if these were implemented. It's too much "magic" feeling for me. That said, it could probably be done well, or possibly implemented in some later features, like if NPCs ever become a thing, giving them jewelry would gain their favor or something. Otherwise, it could still be worth it to some just to be able to have these items as a personal status symbol in the game. Just a little ramble to add to the discussion.

A system like this could use the Baubles Mod, which may be compatible with TFC and Thaumcraft 4 is currently using it too. However, I believe the devs have stated that they don't want to give enchantment-like buffs to the players, and honestly, I wouldn't really like if these were implemented. It's too much "magic" feeling for me. That said, it could probably be done well, or possibly implemented in some later features, like if NPCs ever become a thing, giving them jewelry would gain their favor or something. Otherwise, it could still be worth it to some just to be able to have these items as a personal status symbol in the game. Just a little ramble to add to the discussion.

Bioxx has said before that NPCs will never be added.

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/16-do-not-post-the-following-suggestions/

However, I do think that gems should be able to be used for jewelery or encrusting armour and tools for ceremonial/for fun purposes only.

Bioxx has said before that NPCs will never be added.

Yeah... I know... but I still have hopes. Maybe I'll work on an addon when I improve my java-fu a bit  :P

I think the best use for gems would be as a decorative piece that you could eventually place... imagine crystal cups and jeweled swords on the wall, elaborate mosaics of colour... yes, I think that would be best and easiest.

What I was thinking of was very small bonuses. Maybe a highest level trinklet in mining would give 10% mining speed. This would have of course high requirements, like a high crafting level, 3 Exquisit gems and the best metal. So your first trinklet would give around 0.5% boost. But it would add a end game value to these items that would in end game give a significant boost like the 10%.

You might think 10% is a lot, but I think with very high requirements it would be ok.A max harvesting ring could give you for example 10% more yield. If they had more than a decoration purpose they would be more motivating. Even though the bonuses would be subtle. 

Coming from the belief that gems as they are are a waste of potentially very nifty items, I too would like to see more uses for them. However, I am not sure about going straight into making magical jewelry. What I would like to see and what is already suggested, is to make new blocks or their use in semi-esoteric alchemy, possibly with brewing different mixtures and creation of alchemical ingredients for blocks or equipment done reusing mechanics of cooking.

To be honest, I am not overly against magical trinkets - keeping it enough low-key would be important for me. I guess I would enjoy aforementioned jewelry if bonuses would be small and materials needed - beside metals and including gems - really rare, as we really do need things to do and potential goals late-game. For those reasons I am ambivalent toward Thaumcraft. Don't take me wrong, it got some nice ideas but with making magic common and going overboard - in comparison with more down-to-earth survival theme of TFC - with what one makes with it (plus the dreadful automation through the use of golems) it really clashes with how I'd rather play the game.

So, yes, slightly magical trinkets and alchemy would be a way to bring mechanics of enchants or food special effects which lack of now is somewhat of a waste. It would bring a worthwile use for the gems which also the existence of is a bit of a waste but, let me stress that - I want gems to be very rare (so even chipped ones, which wouldn't be useful for anything but the weakest and least useful of items) and general ability to make such kind of items - a late-game thing (requiring precious metals and at the very least flawless-quality gems). I want it to be somewhat more like charms and shamanistic baubles of primitive cultures surviving off the land in tune with the theme of TFC, rare and mystical, not typical D&D/heroic fantasy 'let's have tons of magical jewelry for everyone because of our high levels' fare.

Also, I'd rather have effects fo such jewelry somewhat obscured in case of those rarest and most powerful items. So you can make a ring +10% damage dealt per hit and know it is exactly that or you can make some really powerful item block to be put somewhere in the area helping with 'bounty of the land' without much of additional info (and possibly several effects like increasing slightly chance of additional food and seed yield, growth speed and soil regeneration). Of course, such thing could be checked in the files for those really curious but regular players would have and hopefully enjoy a tiny bit of unknown and mystical.

With this thread here, I'm going to add something I was thinking about. First, the design ideas:

• Give use to gems of all qualities
  • Give use to non-tool metals
  • Smithing-like minigame to create
  • Raw time to make usable
  • Uses as much as existing mechanics as possible

So, you would start with Jewelery table. This would work similarly to anvil in both creation and function. There would be multiple tiers each needing better metals and being needed to create higher-level items. This table allows you to create various Focuses from precious metals (Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum) in combination with gems. Each focus needs one mold of liquid metal and up to 5 gems. Their rarity and quality will determine how good the Focus is. Then, you need Infusion Altar. Those too are tiered. Infusion altar needs to be placed in area, that is plentiful in specific element: water, earth, air, fire. Placing a Focus into an altar starts charging it with specific element. After that, it will take few days to fully charge. The rate or charging will be proportional to tier of altar and inversely proportional to quality of focus. Charging will take ~7 MC days on average. After that, you get focus charged with specific element. To use it, you need enchanting table. This allows you to combine this focus with an tool, weapon or armor to get an enchantment. What kind of enchantment it is will depends on what tool and what element you combine. For example boots and Water will give you waterwalking or pick with earth will give faster mining. Focus is destroyed by this procedure. Item can be enchanted only once. Many vanilla enchants could be repurposed for this. I could also be possible to combine the focus with water or alcohol bottles to produce potions of specific effects.

I think this system would be really simple to implement and only big challenge are the enchantments themselves. And maybe the jewelcrafting minigame. Of course, this would need to be implemented as addon, considering Bioxx's aversion against magic and enchantments.

I think at a level of magic that is really small it is acceptable. Euphoric, your suggestion is what I had in mind. And with the high tier ones being extremely rare and hard to craft I think it would not make it overpowered. Adding these to the vanilla game in the case of Bioxx not agreeing with the "magic" would still be great, as a more sophisticated equipment system would be really nice. ie. Aether mod. The vanilla equipment system is a little bit unextensive, and if your going full on with rocks and metals, than equipment would seem as important step.

And there are 52 gems in game! They need a use! Jewellery just seems like the first obvious thought.

Or make gem tip arrows.

I am not sure how believable that'd be. I'd suspect gem-tipped arrow would be about the same as if you'd use a pebble for the tip. Unless you meant the arrows to be enchanted or some such. Which, to be honest, would be going a bit too far. I'd really not want gems to be directly weaponized, even if some items involving them could help by proxy.

I think the best use for gems would be as a decorative piece that you could eventually place... imagine crystal cups and jeweled swords on the wall, elaborate mosaics of colour... yes, I think that would be best and easiest.

i think maby gems could be encrusted in chisled blocks. i'd like to have a safire dolfin statue in front of my house

What I was thinking of was very small bonuses. Maybe a highest level trinklet in mining would give 10% mining speed. This would have of course high requirements, like a high crafting level, 3 Exquisit gems and the best metal. So your first trinklet would give around 0.5% boost. But it would add a end game value to these items that would in end game give a significant boost like the 10%.

You might think 10% is a lot, but I think with very high requirements it would be ok.

A max harvesting ring could give you for example 10% more yield. 

If they had more than a decoration purpose they would be more motivating. Even though the bonuses would be subtle. 

With this thread here, I'm going to add something I was thinking about. First, the design ideas:

• Give use to gems of all qualities
  • Give use to non-tool metals
  • Smithing-like minigame to create
  • Raw time to make usable
  • Uses as much as existing mechanics as possible

So, you would start with Jewelery table. This would work similarly to anvil in both creation and function. There would be multiple tiers each needing better metals and being needed to create higher-level items. This table allows you to create various Focuses from precious metals (Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum) in combination with gems. Each focus needs one mold of liquid metal and up to 5 gems. Their rarity and quality will determine how good the Focus is. Then, you need Infusion Altar. Those too are tiered. Infusion altar needs to be placed in area, that is plentiful in specific element: water, earth, air, fire. Placing a Focus into an altar starts charging it with specific element. After that, it will take few days to fully charge. The rate or charging will be proportional to tier of altar and inversely proportional to quality of focus. Charging will take ~7 MC days on average. After that, you get focus charged with specific element. To use it, you need enchanting table. This allows you to combine this focus with an tool, weapon or armor to get an enchantment. What kind of enchantment it is will depends on what tool and what element you combine. For example boots and Water will give you waterwalking or pick with earth will give faster mining. Focus is destroyed by this procedure. Item can be enchanted only once. Many vanilla enchants could be repurposed for this. I could also be possible to combine the focus with water or alcohol bottles to produce potions of specific effects.

I think this system would be really simple to implement and only big challenge are the enchantments themselves. And maybe the jewelcrafting minigame. Of course, this would need to be implemented as addon, considering Bioxx's aversion against magic and enchantments.

i think maby gems could be encrusted in chisled blocks. i'd like to have a safire dolfin statue in front of my house

This, this, and this. Mostly the last one since it's the only one I see Bioxx letting us have. If not, this would make a great add on!

A recurrent discussion. I still favour the idea of combining, say 2 small gems into the next larger one, with or without a tool. Then only the best gems may have an additional use.

We could have a new type of mold that allows gems.  A Jem Sword Mold. A Jem Mace Mold. Ect.  That way we can use gems has weapon decoration.

Posted Image

Well,  either way I think the jewellery would be great. It would be a lovely use for a valuable resource. If Bioxx would not like the small bonuses it could be done in a small simple mod, or as a config thing :)Although, If you look into history people did believe certain pendants had magical power :P In in a certain way if you believe in something it can come true, ie placebo effect.So if someone had a pendant of strength and they thoroughly would believe it made them stronger it would :) not by much, but by little.

We could have a new type of mold that allows gems.  A Jem Sword Mold. A Jem Mace Mold. Ect.  That way we can use gems has weapon decoration.

Posted Image

We have already gone over this, Gems cannot believably be melted down and cast. Makes no sense for many reasons relating to chemistry.

We have already gone over this, Gems cannot believably be melted down and cast. Makes no sense for many reasons relating to chemistry.

I am not saying melt down the gem, just have it add to a weapon mold. The finished copper mace mold will have a jem in it.

So, while the molten metal is cooling, you ram a piece of gemstone on it.

Sounds good

The thing with that is you have to consider how many types of gems there are: 13. Say that we don't worry about quality of that gem type, so regardless of it being chipped, perfect, or whatever the type is the type and the size of it won't affect the model. Now, that's still 13 more weapons/tools added per weapon/tool that'd have this feature. Yeah, that's a ton of work and clutter for something that wouldn't have much use.

Yes, they could just make 2-3 gems have this feature, but really, that's still too many extra items IMO. If they could add an effect to a weapon or tool (similar to the enchantment effect) that was just based upon the color of the gem in it (so ruby would be red, etc), that could save from a lot of clutter, but yeah.

Well, I think the art could be easily generated.
The items could work with meta :) All in all

Art neede:

• Ring, all metals (inventory, on player)
  • Neckless, all metals (inventory, on player)
  • Amulet, all metals (inventory, on player)
  • Bracelet, all metals (inventory, on player)
  • Gems, uncut
  • Gems, cut (chipped) (inventory, on player)

The on player models could be easily generated in game with metainf. I assume if gems have a use they would not come out cut, it just does not seem the terma way :P

I am not saying melt down the gem, just have it add to a weapon mold. The finished copper mace mold will have a jem in it.

Ohhhhh, I get it. Sorry, that makes sense.

Since there are no real uses to gems in this mod, I think it would be a good idea to add bling into the game to add a use to the gems and more uses to gold. Also it would be nice to have a cane with a diamond on top so I can be a pimp daddy.

Edited by Kittychanley
Duplicate Suggestion, merged into older existing one.