Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
soulion

fruit and vegitables give a little water

12 posts in this topic

fruits and vegitable contain water,something that can be hard to find in dry biomes or not near water,and basically the title says it all

And maybe breads and salted meats take down your thirst a bit

agreed.  fruits should give a little more water than vegitables

Raw fish can give you some water

While I like this idea, I don't know how much it would bring to the game. Once Alcohol is introduced, that was generally used as the preferred water source of ancient cultures (or watered down alchohol), which is made with fruit or grain and water. I personally think that would be enough.

If it's just a line or two of code though, sure, I'm all for this!

To put things into perspective, if the milk buckets weren't actually bugged, drinking from them (20 oz) would replenish about 1/6 of the hunger bar, and 1/3 of the thirst. A ceramic jug replenishes half, and a glass bottle replenishes about 0.25.

Use the milk bucket as a base line, we see that 5 oz of basically water (87%) would equal 1/12th of the thirst bar. Here's the results of a quick google search on the water contents of different foods.

Fruits:
Apples 84% - 1/12th bar
Bananas 75% - 1/15th bar
Blackberries 85% - 1/12th bar 
Blueberries 85% - 1/12th bar
Cherries 81% - 1/12th bar
Cranberries 87% - 1/12th bar
Lemons 90% - 1/12th bar
Oranges 87% - 1/12th bar
Peaches 88% - 1/12th bar
Plums 85% - 1/12th bar
Raspberries 87% - 1/12th bar
Strawberries 92% - 1/12th bar

Vegetables:
Cabbage 93% - 1/12th bar
Carrots 87% - 1/12th bar
Garlic 65% - 1/15th bar
Green Beans 90% - 1/12th bar
Onions 89% - 1/12th bar
Peppers: 92% - 1/12th bar
Potato 79% - 1/12th bar
Squash 95% - 1/12th bar
Tomato 94% - 1/12th bar

Grains:
Barley 12% - 1/60th bar
Corn 15% - 1/60th bar
Oats 14% - 1/60th bar
Rice 13% - 1/60th bar

Proteins:
Cooked Beef 60% - 1/20th bar
Cooked Chicken 60% - 1/20th bar
Cooked Eggs 70% - 1/15th bar
Soybeans 8% - 1/120th bar

So, salt content and everything else aside, on average fruits and vegetables are about the same, filling half a bubble of thirst per serving. Cooked proteins (you can't eat raw) would provide less, and grains/soy beans would just do nothing.

Now all realism arguments aside, even though 5 ounces of milk and 5 ounces of cherries contain the same weight worth of water, from a gameplay standpoint this really doesn't make much sense. In my honest opinion, the thirst values on foods should be cut in half in comparison to milk. This is solely based off of the psychology of eating something, versus drinking it. To put this into visual representation, here's the amount of thirst replenished compared to the amount of hunger replenished:

Posted Image

And here's the amount of thirst replenished if you were to fill a completely empty stomach with the juicy fruit:

Posted Image

Looking at that, the only valid argument I can see for this suggestion is "It would be neat to see the devs even thought about that." The argument of adding it as an alternative for when you are in a dry biome and can't find water is moot, because you would end up using all that thirst just trying to find that much food in the first place.

It'll be neat, but yea, kinda pointless. Might be of some help in not getting dehydrated as fast, but for replenishing thirst, it'll never work

so uh...any ideas of how to find water in a dry biome?because right now im dying of thirst in my game.....

go find a non-dry biome, or a river.

Or just get a new seed.

Sorry for no being able to give better advice :/

Actually, I'd like to point out that if we talk about realism here, it wouldn't be even as much provision of water as decreasing the effect of water use. While some very juicy fruits can help with the thirst a bit, most of them are 'solid' enough that body uses water to actually digest them. Yes, often (depending on what you actually eat) more water than you gain by eating the thing in the first place.

One of the reasons why desert expeditions starting to lack water also cut on food consumption.

But if we ignore the whole realism, I don't mind it, provided that stuff like salty, fat stuff would increase thirst a bit.