Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ziat007

Mobs afraid of fire

6 posts in this topic

I think mobs should be afraid of fire, as fire in the stone ages was a source of safety. Although the mobs in TFC are fantasy/scifi and to me don't really fit in with TFC, I still think they should be afraid of fire.Thinking about it it would add a whole new risk to your fire going out.This would also require thatch to be more late game. The thatch recipe requiring rope could do this. 

Edited by ziat007

Cool idea, but actually this will not provide protection from arrows and spears

hmmm, good point, but I would still like this to be implemented especially with the more wildlife planed.

I don't see why it should provide protection from arrows or spears, given that those are utilized by - what we can assume - somewhat sentient beings who shouldn't be as easily affected by fire as animals are. Also, in theory we have this feature since early versions of Minecraft, with enemies not spawning where there are torches. Granted, it's not exactly the same but it does kind of make sense - hostile mobs do not show up where there's light/fire unless they are specifically attacking something.

The same way animals can overcome their fear of human settlements if willing to attack humans. Incidentally, the fear of fire may have been partially developed because of it's association with humans as often where there was fire (barring stuff like wild forest fires and even then not always) so were they.

The other issue I possibly may have with the idea is that it would basically double the security of the camp in the early game, which we can admit often is secure anyway, but still - going too far here wouldn't be good and if it wouldn't be big enough difference then there's no point in adding this thing in the first place.

Possibly I wouldn't mind it if it would be balanced, for example requiring actually quite big flame (high temperature) for the fire to scare away the enemies. In general though I'd consider the whole feature gimmick at most which wouldn't in practical setting enrich the game too much. If it is easy to add, and would be added with above taken into consideration, I guess 'why not' but I am completely fine without such effect.

I don't see why it should provide protection from arrows or spears, given that those are utilized by - what we can assume - somewhat sentient beings who shouldn't be as easily affected by fire as animals are. Also, in theory we have this feature since early versions of Minecraft, with enemies not spawning where there are torches. Granted, it's not exactly the same but it does kind of make sense - hostile mobs do not show up where there's light/fire unless they are specifically attacking something.

The same way animals can overcome their fear of human settlements if willing to attack humans. Incidentally, the fear of fire may have been partially developed because of it's association with humans as often where there was fire (barring stuff like wild forest fires and even then not always) so were they.

The other issue I possibly may have with the idea is that it would basically double the security of the camp in the early game, which we can admit often is secure anyway, but still - going too far here wouldn't be good and if it wouldn't be big enough difference then there's no point in adding this thing in the first place.

Possibly I wouldn't mind it if it would be balanced, for example requiring actually quite big flame (high temperature) for the fire to scare away the enemies. In general though I'd consider the whole feature gimmick at most which wouldn't in practical setting enrich the game too much. If it is easy to add, and would be added with above taken into consideration, I guess 'why not' but I am completely fine without such effect.

My bigest inspiration for this is don't starve. There your fire going out i the night is a big fear, when you run low on logs.

However there is a issue with the fantasy creatures, although as you said they do not spawn by torches so one can assume they are afraid of fire.

Generally the point of this would be somehow to push early game into caves with fires. (I am very fond of the early stone age idea).

"Bear Crap answered 7 years ago

Well yes and no. We here in Alaska have found that a fire kept going in your camp will indeed detour bears. Of course if you have lots of good smelling food, like a bar-b-q going it would be more apt to attract Mr bear. 

In the last 40 years that I have been in the wilderness I always kept a fire going at out hunting base camp. And it did seem to keep the bears away. I think it’s from the animal’s natural fear of a forest fire. They smell the smoke and it makes them wary (if you have a clean camp with food put away). Locals here in Alaska generally keep a fire going to keep the critters away. 

But one time I was sitting by the fire in Arkansas waiting for my hunting buddies to return when a raccoon came up to the fire and sat next to me. He just sat there for about 20 minutes (warming up?) then he left into the woods. Lol it was funny! 

Man has used fire to protect themselves from animals for thousands of years. I have had a pack of wolves make a wide berth of our camp when the fire was going but when it died they came into our camp and I had to run them off (they were after our sled dogs).

"

Maybe thatch being more late game, (same time as wood, the recipe could require rope, which is realistic and believable) 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0