Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zedek

TF Wiki

39 posts in this topic

For the love of god how do you become allowed to edit the wiki, this is awful. The wiki is so damn incomplete and although it gives you some decent information it's still poorly formatted. I don't think there's even an article about the Firestarter. I know this mod is in beta but I still think we should be able to edit and create articles.

Well first off I edit it in my spare time. It is far from poorly formatted it is an exact copy of the official minecraft wiki. It may need polishing and articles are missing so I can keep stuff uniform and know what I have left to add. The people that can edit the wiki are the ones adding info to current pages and have asked them not to add pages that are items in game.

I understand that editing the wiki is not your top priority I really do. I'm not saying that's wrong. All I'm saying is that for a having incomplete pages or not having pages on everything that could be just irks me. I don't mean to disrespect your wiki I just want to help.

I feel like the reason for the incomplete pages is because the mod is incomplete. I believe that as the pieces of the mod get balanced and set into a more firm state that the information will then get added to the wiki. It's better to have nice finalized information rather than something that could change every time an update gets deployed. Best thing to do is just ask on the forums or PM someone if you want to know something for the time being.

Well first off I edit it in my spare time. It is far from poorly formatted it is an exact copy of the official minecraft wiki. It may need polishing and articles are missing so I can keep stuff uniform and know what I have left to add.

I think he meant "poorly formatted" as in the actual pages of the Wiki. The front page is fine, however if you were to check, say, Getting Started, it's very poorly formatted. If the Wiki is open to more contributors, I could probably make an attempt at helping with both spell check and formatting. Right now they're both poor.

The people that can edit the wiki are the ones adding info to current pages and have asked them not to add pages that are items in game.

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. Are you saying the current contributors have been asked not to add new pages?

Additionally, I would like a reference chart so I can see what ores appear in what stone, instead of putting undue stress on the server by opening every single ore page to see what stone it spawns in. I'm sure everyone else is annoyed by this before they have them memorized. So far I have granite->cassiterite.

I totally get not having info on things like tool durability, how to use the prospectors pick, things like that, because the tools are supposed to feel like normal tools, not like magic tools that have a specific number of uses. Having recipes though, would probably help a lot of people out that don't like NEI.

Maybe after full release?

Yeah, I joined this community so I can do as I do best; write. As a longtime contributor on most gaming wikis (Minecraft, Dead Rising, Dead Space, Neverwinter Nights, Neverwinter Nights 2, Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect) I was looking forward to adding all of the missing content, including descriptions and tips for each tool, item, anvil, and log, as well as a few guides of my own to new players. Then I find out it's locked. Sadface. :(

Well first off I edit it in my spare time. It is far from poorly formatted it is an exact copy of the official minecraft wiki. It may need polishing and articles are missing so I can keep stuff uniform and know what I have left to add. The people that can edit the wiki are the ones adding info to current pages and have asked them not to add pages that are items in game.

First off, thank you for the contributions you've given to the website, and the assistance you've given to Bioxx.

That said... I'm baffled by your statements here. Why would you do this?

I believe you have missed the concept of a wiki. Wikis are not manuals or encyclopedias written with painstaking polish and a master checklist. Deliberately leaving out pages so you can edit them yourself not only tremendously slows it's development, but it stifles the potential of the wiki and indirectly stifles the popularity of the mod. I understand you want the pages to look nice and uniform, and that is a laudable goal, but you're limiting a valuable potential resource to advance the mods popularity: It's fans!

From the guy who invented wikis himself, which reflects almost exactly the point I'm trying to make:

"A wiki is not a carefully crafted site for casual visitors. Instead, it seeks to involve the visitor in an ongoing process of creation and collaboration that constantly changes the Web site landscape."

This, it seems to me, is missing from the TFC wiki. Thank you for your time.

I believe you have missed the concept of a wiki. Wikis are not manuals or encyclopedias written with painstaking polish and a master checklist. Deliberately leaving out pages so you can edit them yourself not only tremendously slows it's development, but it stifles the potential of the wiki and indirectly stifles the popularity of the mod. I understand you want the pages to look nice and uniform, and that is a laudable goal, but you're limiting a valuable potential resource to advance the mods popularity: It's fans!

From the guy who invented wikis himself, which reflects almost exactly the point I'm trying to make:

"A wiki is not a carefully crafted site for casual visitors. Instead, it seeks to involve the visitor in an ongoing process of creation and collaboration that constantly changes the Web site landscape."

Things don't have to be used for their original intent. You can use a CD as a coaster, doesn't mean you have to use a wiki as a wiki.

I have a small spreadsheet showing which rock types contain which metal ores (as per the individual pages on the wiki).. Would this be useful to the wiki?

Ore Reference.xlsx

Updated ore ref link

Edited by Beckoner

I vote yes :) Though maybe just having that for download would be just as useful.

I have a small spreadsheet showing which rock types contain which metal ores (as per the individual pages on the wiki).. Would this be useful to the wiki?

Ore Reference.xlsx

Oh thank you. you just saved me an hour of work now. :D

I was getting frustrated at the somewhat lacking wiki info too. was just about to start a similar spreadsheet myself.

Things don't have to be used for their original intent. You can use a CD as a coaster, doesn't mean you have to use a wiki as a wiki.

This is true, but doesn't really get at my point. I'm not trying to argue the semantics of the wiki, I'm saying that his decision is directly harming the wiki's development and IMO indirectly harming the mod's popularity.

When you have a room full of people who want to listen to the music on that CD, you're using as a coaster until you've finished remastering the music, maybe you should consider sticking the CD in the CD player where it belongs, before they pack up and go someplace with a little better ambiance. So what if the music is a little scratchy, at least it's there.

For the same reason, when you have a bunch of fans wanting to use and expand a wiki, but you've deliberately prevented new pages from being created, it stifles creativity, and devalues the wiki.

Well, lets make a new unofficial wiki then. Problem solved.

I like that idea. Having a wiki that actually gives the information the user is looking for would be nice for sure. It took me 20 minutes just to find the crafting recipe for the flint spear the other day...

I like that idea. Having a wiki that actually gives the information the user is looking for would be nice for sure. It took me 20 minutes just to find the crafting recipe for the flint spear the other day...

Hahaha? Me, I couldn't find it, period. Not on the wiki, or the minecraft forum post, I eventually tried everal different things, such as diagonal sticks and flint until the (rather od) recepie for a "flint shovel" gave me the javelin.

I found a description of how to make it from a random post (can't even remember where) saying how to line up the items to get it.

Well, first few pages are done and Getting Started is halfway finished, so I'll work a bit more tomorrow. For now, I have a few things I need to do. :P

Ooh, it's nice. I'll be tossing in stuff as well. First order of business is adding that fellows ore chart in :P

Ooh, it's nice. I'll be tossing in stuff as well. First order of business is adding that fellows ore chart in :P

and fix the firepit info. it's highly inaccurate.

I'd edit it myself, but I'd rather not get too involved in wiki editing. ( I have little enough playtime as it is. don't wanna spend it all formatting text. sorry)

the fuel info is lacking. the firepit can burn more than just logs, I can confirm that peat works great. even for melting, but charcoal and coal i have not tested yet. and the ore smelting info is wrong. there are many ores that the firepit is hot enough to melt. not just the tier 0 ones. it's just not as fast as a bloomery, and it causes you loose the ore if you remelt a messed up ingot. even if you do put a new mould in the bottom slot.

First off, I didn't put all the information in the Wiki myself. Second, that page was just put there today. The wiki only has 6 pages, it's still in the "getting the right into to put on each page" stage, so there's bound to be some misinformation as we try to make it as informative as possible. I personally try to avoid adding things that I'm not sure I'm right about, but it still happens.

In the end I think the unofficial wiki is going to end up with a lot of info. It's probably going to take a week, two weeks if its just me and the creator of the wiki.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0