Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Fuzzymage

Map Pregeneration.

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

So, im running a semi new server that has started to attract new people.  The issue I'm running into are people starting to explore and generating new chunks which is causing a bunch of server lag.  Does anyone know how I can pregen the map?  The only way I know how to requires bukkit and wordborder.

WorldBorder is definitely the way to go to pre-generate a map for TFC. You can (temporarily) use MCPC+ to run both Forge and Bukkit on the same server and pre-generate the map.

Generating the map with players on can be either slow, or laggy. But never fast and without lag. So depending on your needs you may consider closing the server for a day or so to pre-generate the map.

So, I'm assuming leaving mcpc+ on for admin plugins beside worldguard/edit/hawkeye isnt a good idea?

TFC isn't officially compatible with MCPC+ due to the fact that it changes some of the behind the scenes forge code that TFC is working off of. Because of this, any issues that you might come across while using MCPC+ probably won't get any support since there isn't much TFC can do to fix them.

Yeah, many mods don't directly support MCPC+. That said, I encourage you to trial it anyway; admin plugins aside, the performance advantage over vanilla/stock Forge is gigantic. Especially on longer-running servers, which will continually lose performance over time to a phenomenon called chunk leaking. This doesn't happen with MCPC+.

Example: I ran a 1.6.4 server last fall on my own computer. It has a state of the art 4x 4.2 GHz Haswell CPU with 16 GB RAM and only SSD storage. I loaded up all sorts of mods, including Alternate Terrain Generation which produces landscapes that are just as performance-hungry as those of TFC, if not more so. With maximum serverside view distance enabled (15 chunks instead of stock 9), and four people online in completely different areas, I started off at 9 ms world tick, thanks to the raw power of my CPU.

Fast forward three months, and the same machine couldn't stay under 50ms world tick with more than 2 people online at the same time, regardless of server view distance. Even with nobody on and no chunks loaded, it sat at 25-35 ms. Nobody on the FTB forums or the official Minecraft forums had any idea what was happening, only that yes, that happens sometimes. Or rather, that's what the FTB guys said. The vanilla guys said that their Bukkit servers are totally fine and it must of course be the mods I run that break things. And yet, Opis showed that the total serverwide load from tile entities (the stuff that many mods go crazy with and which is usually the first suspect for lag) was less than 4 ms per tick. Or in other words, less than 10% of my CPU time went into mod content. The rest just vanished into thin air. After running a JVM profiler, I discovered that all that CPU time was sitting in vanilla functions for biome checks and mob AI simulation. Even on a completely empty server with no chunks loaded. What the heck was going on?

That's when a google search randomly led me to the old Spigot project and a discussion about chunk leaks - a vanilla bug where a chunk is not properly unloaded, so that despite it showing as unloaded it still takes up CPU time. Spigot fixed that. And later it integrated into Bukkit. Which brought me back to the fact that nobody running a Bukkit server seemed to have these issues I kept seeing...

So I backed up my world and threw it on MCPC+. I expected issues, because with IC2 and Thaumcraft, I had at least two mods which explicitly said to avoid MCPC+ because of possible incompatibilities. Much to my surprise, there was not a single issue, not even a log message. And the world tick? 6 ms with 4 people on. Boom. I was downright shocked - that was a third less on a three month old map than what the stock Forge server needed on a completely fresh, empty world!

I'm definitely going to keep hosting my servers on MCPC+ in the future, unless an incompatibility forces me back to stock Forge. Thankfully I haven't seen one yet.

Thanks for the help/tips.  Got it up and running and pregenning, No issues so far.