Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NecroMandy

hedges as a decorative feature

7 posts in this topic

Not sure at all if there is anything like this planned already but thought it may be worth a suggestion.

I want to start a small server, but one thing i know is good about servers is the features and hard work put into towns especially spawn towns. I have noticed that the leave blocks when sheared and placed cannot be placed side by side, this goes for a few different plants (clay flowers).Therefor currently the only way to make decorative features for spawn is through the use of bushes (personally i love the elderberry bushes for this) sadly however as they do not grow (it would be waay to O.P if they could be duplicated)  it is nearly impossible to gather enough to decorate a whole town or city. I think it would be neat to add another type of hedge plant that does not produce any edible fruits (maybe herb based would be ok) that can be used solely for a decorative feature. 3 or 4 different varieties with different colour flowers or no flowers at all depending on seasons, that grow to a maximum of 3 blocks height with a very slow growth period. These hedges could then be sheared or pruned with special pruning shears, to collect more hedges over a period of time. 

Special pruning shears could be made out of 2 pieces of metal ingots, worked on the anvil to each form a blade, the blades are then combined in your inventory. When crafted with two sticks  a pair of pruning shears are made these could then have the same durability score as other metal tools made from 2 ingots of the same material type. 

Crafting pattern:

Crafting pattern for pruning shears (wrought iron shown)

http://i.imgur.com/3MrF6f0.png

This is just a quick idea I thought I would share with you all :)

I am a fan of hedges as decorations around/in my builds, so would definitely be a fan of some kind of hedge growth.

On balance I would probably prefer a mix between hedges that grow and those that don't, as for some purposes hedges that stay one block high are what I would want.

Since you already get growth/duplication for fruit trees, I don't see a huge issue for allowing growth of fruit bearing hedge variants (for varieties that actually grow enough in the real world).

That said, purely ornamental ones would work for me too.

I like the idea, and also I do not find O.P. to be able to grow edible bushes, since they produce so little food that you need a great deal of them and that would cover a lot of surface, vital surface in a city or town. Fruit tree, on the other hand, produce a lot of fruit  and are really compact, they can also be reproduced (slow, but surely), in that sense I feel that fruit trees are more O.P. than some bushes. 

i was also kinda thinking that the pruning shears could be a slighty more dependable way of getting saplings from fruit trees, if that was the case then sapling drops with axes could be reduced to something like 1/4 chance, saws 2/4 chance and pruning shears 4/5 chance. it would mean until the player hits at least copper age they will find it difficult to obtain more fruit trees and it will help push for people to learn the smithing skills. 

(I have only learnt to make sheets on the anvil so far, but i will get there eventually.... lol xD )

...mixed feelings here. On the one hand, I LOVE the idea of not having to creatively arrange my 7 different types of berry bush outside my house so they don't look like crap. On the other, purely aesthetic changes and additions are probably priority 0 right now.

Also, MASSIVE props for texturing your own proposed items and including implementation instructions - that kind of shit will get you VERY far around here, but once more on the other hand, D&B hate adding new items when an existing one could just get another function, and I feel they'd probably just make it something you could do with a right-click on a scythe or something.

my thoughts were more that the pruning shears could become the replacement for vanilla shears, so not only for gathering saplings from fruit trees, and gathering new flower hedges, but also for shearing off leaf blocks, gathering wool, etc. 

The image i used for shears was just a suggestion and the vanilla one could be kept. 

my thoughts were more that the pruning shears could become the replacement for vanilla shears, so not only for gathering saplings from fruit trees, and gathering new flower hedges, but also for shearing off leaf blocks, gathering wool, etc. 

The image i used for shears was just a suggestion and the vanilla one could be kept. 

Hmmm.. making the tool very multi-purpose WOULD definitely make it more likely to be included... and this way actually farming any fruit other than berries effectively is gated behind metal, making things more forage-y like the stone age should be... I like it!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0