Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Maga

Frames and Plaster (scaffolding and building block)

43 posts in this topic

I too want to have blocks for building along the lines of that was suggested in OP.

I wouldn't even mind to have original wool blocks back just for the hell of it, because those too can look very nice.

Additional miscellaneous stuff I'm not so concerned with, just the pretty buildings part.

Also, we really need a way to expand on vanilla base block meta-id functionality. I remember seeing that is't an integer, which then means there's no bloody sense in only allowing 16 meaningful values.

I feel i should mention that those walls are made of plaster, not wool.

I feel i should mention that those walls are made of plaster, not wool.

You're a busy guy, and one of the admins, so instead of wagging my finger for not reading the entire thread I'll just catch you up on it.

That's been brought up in this thread already. In response to said concerns I proposed that if we insisted on realistic crafting we could craft a frame block (that could also act as scaffolding, see scaffolding mod for details) and then apply a ball of clay to it which would dry white after a few hours. If realistic crafting isn't priority #1 then the crafting recipe that uses a plank block, cloth and sticks would be useful because it gives a great use to both cloth and sticks, 2 previously  useless items.

Either way, adding scaffolding that can be covered with clay or planks that are stretched with wool would both be great additions in my opinion.

We're not going to add a block with an incorrect recipe just to use a material. It feels shoddy and half-assed.

The block won't be added for wool, but if you feel like changing your original post to use plaster instead, we can continue the discussion.

We're not going to add a block with an incorrect recipe just to use a material. It feels shoddy and half-assed.

The block won't be added for wool, but if you feel like changing your original post to use plaster instead, we can continue the discussion.

Did the research I should have done at the beginning and promptly changed the op.

Even though wool is still useless I'm way more happy with this version... It just feels so much better. Thanks for the knock on the head Dunk. I needed it.

Plaster was used extensively in antiquity, and a use for a useless mineral is always welcome- nice job.

Being from a country filled with cottages, I'm all for anything that includes plaster.

I also think that plaster should be craftable through either using gypsum or by placing crushed limestone in a kiln. Traditionally, whitewash and plaster was manufactured from quicklime formed in a lime kiln (at least here in northern europe). 

And someone suggested that framing plaster is a feature found mainly during the Tudor era. Wattle and daub utilizing lime has been around for millennia, it's probably a more historically accurate building material than framed plaster.

Though really I don't care as long as there's a block containing plaster.

On that matter another block I would love is plastered stone, preferably cobbled stone so I could make an authentic thatched cottage (Even normal cobbled stone looks unreal with thatch)

Having two types of cobblestone gas been discussed elsewhere, my opinion is that crafting cobble with mortar (or plaster) should create a block that looks similar but not identical and wouldn't be affected by gravity. Bricks are nice for some things but very restrictive at the moment.

Mortared/plastered cobble could look something like this http://img.wonderhowto.com/img/05/44/63465288300373/0/tactics-for-using-stairs-minecraft.w654.jpg

However great that would be for building and aesthetics it's kind of got it's own thread already.

This is what I had in mind as to how that wall was made, but I wasn't sure whether or not it was plaster. My rage is satiated.

I believe that another type of cobble stone is unnecessary, as bricks are designed to fill the need for a stone-based non-gravity block

Speaking as a builder I could not disagree more. The different stone colors help but only having one texture for buildings that use stone I find both severely limiting and hard to believe. A poor farmer's cottage would not be made of the same massive blocks that would realistically be restricted to the castles and dungeons of wealthy lords and barons. I don't think we need carpenters blocks or the chisel mod here, but saying that the HUGE niche of stone building blocks should be filled by a single texture is silly. Asking for just one more option sounds perfectly reasonable.

I have a better idea for making mortared cobble but I'm at work atm and break is almost over.

Speaking as a builder I could not disagree more. The different stone colors help but only having one texture for buildings that use stone I find both severely limiting and hard to believe. A poor farmer's cottage would not be made of the same massive blocks that would realistically be restricted to the castles and dungeons of wealthy lords and barons. I don't think we need carpenters blocks or the chisel mod here, but saying that the HUGE niche of stone building blocks should be filled by a single texture is silly. Asking for just one more option sounds perfectly reasonable.I have a better idea for making mortared cobble but I'm at work atm and break is almost over.

Many castles were constructed entirely without mortar by masons with interlocking rocks.

Let me rephrase it: at this time, mortared cobblestone is not a top priority in terms of new building blocks. Many other candidates might fill a much-needed gap in the array or add a useful new feature. Aesthetics for the sake of aesthetics is one of the lowest priorities until a well-balanced, stable system is established.

No doubt there are much more important things to work on, I'm not disagreeing with you on that. However, because I tend to play SMP to build structures (instead of having one building be my smithy, barn, bakery, tannery etc) I can't help myself from wanting a more realistic building block.Bottom line is I'm biased. I know it.Still... Mortared cobble could be no more than copying code from other blocks, simple crafting recipe and adding 21 very similar textures. Not exactly a tall order.

The different stone colors help but only having one texture for buildings that use stone I find both severely limiting and hard to believe.

That isn't true. You can also use smooth stone and raw stone.

That isn't true. You can also use smooth stone and raw stone.

Well... obviously? But these two blocks have problems too, I Just thought they would be so obvious that I wouldn't have to go into detail... maybe I was wrong about the obvious bit.

Natural stone has it's purposes and can be used to build but acquiring enough of the stuff is a nightmare and historically people did not build houses by taking massive chunks of a mountain and placing it in the shape of a cottage.

Smooth stone has the same problem as bricks but about 8x worse. It makes a nice castle courtyard but poor people's house walls were not 1x1 meter monoliths of polished stone stacked on top each other.

Even the quickest Google image search will show you that most buildings from that period use cobblestone (something like the image I linked in the OP), not massive slabs of polished stone and brick.

Many castles were constructed entirely without mortar by masons with interlocking rocks.

And yet we need mortar to build with bricks...

I would also like to point out that the thread is quickly derailing and a conversation that deals specifically with the issue of cobblestone for building vs cave ins already exists here.

I hate to feed the offtopic beast, but just use thatch as scaffolding and cobblestone works fine in most situations, especially since historically multiple floors were rare, and when used, tended to either be made of wood or used support beams, which we already have.  Finishing the house with some nice plank moldings gives it a nice look while maintaining stability during additions/repairs.

In short, building with cobblestone is hard, but not impossible.  Just like RL. 

I hate to feed the offtopic beast, but just use thatch as scaffolding and cobblestone works fine in most situations, especially since historically multiple floors were rare, and when used, tended to either be made of wood or used support beams, which we already have.  Finishing the house with some nice plank moldings gives it a nice look while maintaining stability during additions/repairs.

In short, building with cobblestone is hard, but not impossible.  Just like RL. 

It's not hard, It's time consuming. Being one of the most influential materials in buildings houses in stone ridden lands, it's entirely reasonable to expect it as a building material.

And to add to the offtopic I think an amazing mechanic would be having to place rocks to form stable cobble stone. Just like how you make a straw pile, you would place 4-8 blocks in a pile which would form a temporary cobble block. If one is broken in a structure or a block is broken underneath a stable cobble block, each adjacent cobble block can revert to a loose cobblestone block if it has a space to fall. In this way you would have have to frame off a section of stable cobblestone if you wish to work on it, and would make building a tedious but rewarding activity.

80% of that belongs in the cobblestone thread.

Please.