Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
GreenJonan

Buckets and fishing

14 posts in this topic

This is a suggestioin realting to both the topic of buckets and fishing. If there are topics relating to these ones please tell me.

Link to other suggestions: http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/6178-darkness-and-movement/

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/6179-gold-coins-and-coin-stamps/

Fishing:

An idea is that inorder to fish you would have to firstly bait your fishing rod with items of mob drops (not meat), e.g. rotten flesh. Without baiting your fishing rod it should be impossible to fish. Worms may be added as an item used for bait, the bait and fishing rod may be crafted together to get the baited fishing rod. Worms may be gotten from random certain naturaly spawning dirt and grass blocks, from certain temperature and humidity biomes. Worms may be possibly farmed in a warm farm, both giving you more worms, but also rich soil, inorder you must fead them vegtable food scraps.

Fish can only be caught in certain biomes, water based biomes or sub biomes, such as rivers, and fresh water and salt water. There may be more types of fish, such as Tuna and Carp.

Depending on where you are catching your fish will affect the likely hood of the catch rate. Underground is impossible, nightime is half chance, daytime is the same, but full moons are twice as likely as daytime. In order to craft a fishing rod must use the same pattern but replace sticks with a tool-rods, crafted by sawing a plank into 2 tool rods.

Buckets:

Instead of having both red steel and blue steel buckets just have steel/black steel buckets, working like vanilla. Wooden buckets may be able to pick up water and other water-like liquids, like in vanilla TFC, you can place it down, except the catch is that you do not place down a source block and that it disaperes once being paced, you can then pick back up any non source water blocks.

Any thoughts or criticism, please detail down in the comments, as it would be much appreciated.

I'm not gonna discuss buckets...its being talked about in too many places. Your fishing ideas are good tho, however instead of crafting the bait to the rod...maybe a sneak right click thing to bait it. With the tool rods that would be a bit pointless...if different levels of fishing rods were added that would make more sense. Then I would understand then being slightly better that the basic stick pole.

I'm not gonna discuss buckets...its being talked about in too many places. Your fishing ideas are good tho, however instead of crafting the bait to the rod...maybe a sneak right click thing to bait it. With the tool rods that would be a bit pointless...if different levels of fishing rods were added that would make more sense. Then I would understand then being slightly better that the basic stick pole.

I was planning on suggesting different tiers of tool rods for metals, since it doesn't make sense to strap a stick to a steel blade, it would be better to just wield a metal tool-rod to a metal item head.

Overhauling fishing has been planned to be added to TFC for a while now. Dunk has even recently created a new model for a fish mob.

Posted Image

I believe that Bioxx is currently getting some of his ideas from Mariculture, since that mod is so expansive and focuses mainly on sea life.

As for buckets, the red/blue steel is there for added lore behind the colors of the metals, and to give at least a bit of extra incentive for making the final metals that are otherwise considered completely a luxury. Wooden buckets used to place non-source blocks like you suggested, but this was easily exploited by placing the flowing water in a 1x1 hole. Since the water had nowhere to flow away to, it just sat in the hole the same way a water source block does.

Kitty do you know if build 79 will be 1.7.10 or 1.7.2? Also the model is awesome, Dunk has being doing some good work. Can't wait for the next build. 

And GreenJonan metal tools rods is overdoing it, maybe if leather was needed to finish them otherwise swinging a pick or sword with a plain metal handle it would slip right outta your hand. Plus with the introduction of metal handles then sticks would become even more useless, as they already are so limited and you get so many of them.

79 is currently being built on forge version 10.12.1.1112 for Minecraft 1.7.2, we might update to a later version of 1.7.X before the official release, but that really depends on how much more porting work we want to do, and finding the proper balance between time spent coding, and a relatively soon release date. Technically we could hold off on release until we're up to date with the current version of Minecraft.. but it would likely just be an infinite loop of catch-up, and we would never actually be able to release; by the time we finish updating, another new version is out.

I don't think any sensible people mind playing on an older version, after all, TFC on 1.6.4 is loads more fun than vanilla on the latest snapshot. Just so long as in the next build has working flatland worlds for testing builds in creative mode I'll be happy.

Of course, adding some other stuff like braziers, scaffolding, aqueducts etc would make me even happier, but good things take time, and I digress...

If you want a flat area to build on for a creative world, load up the save, find a low enough spot then type /debugmode if you don't have debug mode already enabled, and then you can type /removearea to remove 16 blocks NSWE and Up. The command also accepts parameters along the lines of  /removearea x y z.. so you can do /removearea 100 256 100 which will remove 100 blocks NSWE, and guarantee the sky is clear up to world height.

79 is currently being built on forge version 10.12.1.1112 for Minecraft 1.7.2, we might update to a later version of 1.7.X before the official release, but that really depends on how much more porting work we want to do, and finding the proper balance between time spent coding, and a relatively soon release date. Technically we could hold off on release until we're up to date with the current version of Minecraft.. but it would likely just be an infinite loop of catch-up, and we would never actually be able to release; by the time we finish updating, another new version is out.

The reason I asked is because a lot of modders released 1.7.10 builds this week, and others are talking about getting the update out. I understand why playing keep up with mojang can frankly be a pain in the rear end. It "bugged" (pun intended)  me how they built forge on 1.7.2 with all of its render bugs and stuff, but now its on 1.7.10.

Talking about the fishing idea, I think it would be possible to fish without bait, but you would only have a 15% or so chance of catching a fish, while different bait would increase that. I fish in real life, and there have been many times where I have caught fish without bait, even though I catch more with worms, crickets, etc.

I've been looking at your posts, kid... You and I?

We're not going to get along well.

Follow. The forum. Rules.There are already like 5 fishing threads, and I was JUST in a thread about buckets not even 5 minutes ago. This here is spam, and you should be grateful to people like Kitty and Maga for salvaging it into meaningful discussion.

Think before you post next time.

I like the idea of rethinking the whole fishing experience.

If you think about, the fishing rod is a new invention.

Old civilizations use to fish by spear and trapping and latter on with the use of nets.

If you want to add bait we need to first add worms and crickets that would spawn only close to fresh water.

We could maybe cut a fish into 16 small pieces to use as bait.

I don't like the idea of using zombie rotten flesh for anything is just plain disgusting.

If we want to be believable no one IRL would touch a zombie. 

Worms and crickets arn't the only bait for fish.

You could use cheese, bread, dough, meat, or pretty much nearly any food that isn't a vegtable table from my experience.

Although the effectiveness is questionable, it works.

And I think we should be able to fish underground, but at a really low chance, or catch fish that are not as nutritious.

Assuming Bioxx hasn't already scrapped it (which I think would be pretty dumb, as it worked quite well and there's really no need to scrap features just because they aren't yours), I had a nice mechanic working for fishing in which you had to cast out a line and reel the fish in. It was actually pretty fun, and made fishing feel more rewarding.

I tweeted about it a month or two back, around May 9. Go check it out