Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
NadNerbTB

How to show support for suggestions?

10 posts in this topic

How does one go about showing support for suggestions? More than once, I've had an idea, checked the forums, and found that someone else had already suggested it. OK, great. Now what? Especially if it's an older topic, I don't want to necro it just to say "I like this idea". Is there a poll somewhere to vote on ideas? If not, could there be?

There's a button next to every post that says "Like This". You can click that to let the OP know that you like the suggestion. You are correct in that it isn't proper etiquette to necro a post simply stating "I like this idea" but if you do have anything at all that is constructive to the discussion such as expanding on ideas or offering changes there is no harm in posting that, no matter how long ago the last post was. Obviously you'll have to use your own discretion on whether or not the necro will bring life back into the discussion and encourage other people to post on it again as well.

I would also strongly suggest starting your post with something along the lines of "I know this is a necro." to keep the other forum members from pointing it out to you and not taking the post as seriously.

Does the Like This button provide any feedback to the forum (other than a notification to the poster)? I'm not seeing anything.

If you look at the user's profile page, there is a box on the side that will have a number and a rating like "Good" "Excellent" etc. which is a count of how many likes they have received. You can then click on "Likes" on the left of their profile and it will list every post of theirs that has ever been liked.

Hmm, but even that doesn't say how many people liked it. The original poster could walk through their notifications, I guess.

when on the forum if i click on suggestions i see a list of posts.

On the right side I can see the creator of the post, how many views and how many replies.

I believe to get the full benefit of the Like button it should show how many likes the post had.

We should also be able to sort by number of likes.

I just have no idea how hard this would be to incorporate on the forums 

For me, the best way to show support - and the one worth most respect - is a decent, thought-through comment, allowing me to see what the user is supporting, why and whether it's worth anything, including consideration. As it often is on the internet, just liking/disliking doesn't say much - many people may like or dislike certain posts for all kinds of ridiculous reasons which shouldn't matter, if not to certain other users then in general.

Thus, I'd rather suggest people wanting to offer their support to simply write what do they like and why, possibly expanding upon the idea or at least underlining importance of what they find most vital to be kept in suggested form.

Regarding OPs issues - we don't really have any voting nor I don't think we really need one. If you really like some old thread, you can always, in relevant discussion which would touch upon subject of said old thread - link it and voice your support.

In fact, I hope we won't have voting or other polls. I saw communities using such and regrettably, in most cases the results were much corrupted as threads turned into popularity campaigns ('vote and subscribe!' kind of deal) or people were just liking/disliking threads to get their favorites noticeable, to support their friends or to cause stink around threads of people they didn't like, with little of objective regard for the content of said threads itself.

The old format of the forums used to display a list of who had liked a post next to it's like button. I've always missed that feature..

The old format of the forums used to display a list of who had liked a post next to it's like button. I've always missed that feature..

Is it  something that can be implemented again?

I think there are a lot of people that go to a post read it but don't think they can contribute to the discussion, so they do not reply.

I would like to know how many likes a post have. 

For me, the best way to show support - and the one worth most respect - is a decent, thought-through comment, allowing me to see what the user is supporting, why and whether it's worth anything, including consideration. As it often is on the internet, just liking/disliking doesn't say much - many people may like or dislike certain posts for all kinds of ridiculous reasons which shouldn't matter, if not to certain other users then in general.Thus, I'd rather suggest people wanting to offer their support to simply write what do they like and why, possibly expanding upon the idea or at least underlining importance of what they find most vital to be kept in suggested form.Regarding OPs issues - we don't really have any voting nor I don't think we really need one. If you really like some old thread, you can always, in relevant discussion which would touch upon subject of said old thread - link it and voice your support.In fact, I hope we won't have voting or other polls. I saw communities using such and regrettably, in most cases the results were much corrupted as threads turned into popularity campaigns ('vote and subscribe!' kind of deal) or people were just liking/disliking threads to get their favorites noticeable, to support their friends or to cause stink around threads of people they didn't like, with little of objective regard for the content of said threads itself.

I agree but many people think that if they cannot contribute to the discussion they should not post anything. After all do we want to have a lot of people just saying  "I LIKE THIS".?

So if people click the like button and they do it. We should be able to sort the posts by number of likes.

Or at least I wish we were able to do it.

I just don't know if is possible with the new forum.