Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
jammasterz

App that helps you with smelting

24 posts in this topic

Hello everybody.

I started playing TerraFirmaCraft a few weeks ago and there is one thing that i didn't like- calculating what sizes and quantities of ores you need to smelt to make an alloy. It is a real pain especially if

you are smelting in bulks or you're just simply bad at math. That's why for the past few weeks I've been coding an app that helps you to optimize smelting of your ores.

This is my first app i have ever created and it runs on android.

Here is the app on google play, where you can see the screenshots and download the app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jam.alloyoptimizer

The usage is really simple, and its all explained in the help in the app. Simply click the menu button on your device and choose help.

Unfortunately it only runs on android. The app is still in its alpha mode which means that it contains bugs, but they will be fixed as soon as you report them. Also, as its very difficult for the app to do its job with a vessel, that mode is disabled for now. I will finish it when i have time. For now you can try to use the crucible mode and try to make the result only take 4 spots(thats the difficulty I'm having problems with).

Upcoming features in order:

1. The app will try to variate ratios you have given until a proper result is given

2.A button that turns on/of the resources. Its useful when you don't mind looking for resources to make a specific alloy, or if you have all the resources in the world

3.Vessel mode

Let me know what you think and if there are any problems with it :)

Let me know what you think, the community's opinion is important for this app. 

OH i didn't see that. Well that makes this app pretty useless. The topic can be closed.

EDIT: After closer examination, my app is a little bit different

My app supports crucible and any other way smelting because its not bound. It also does the bruteforcing for you- so that you don't have to try out all the different ratios to make your ingot. Also it makes it so that there is no loss of material. So the apps are quite different. Mine is still in development, i just got it to work like a day ago.

This app is getting a huge revamp, as the version that is available now is my first meeting with android. I learned a lot and i want to rewrite it.

New Features include:

• Better user GUI
  • Buttons with ores pictures
  • Support for limited space like for example a vessel.

The alloy calculator by theubie is very nice but it may be a little annoying when smelting in bulks- then, you have to click a lot of times and find the right ratios by trial and error. Mine does that all for you.

To be honest, I'd consider checking it out if there'd be offline, native windows executable version of the application. The way things are right now, Alloy Calculator, even if less developed is greatly more convenient for me to use.

Knock yourself out.  There's plenty of ways you can make something a lot more useful than mine.  What I wrote is really more for early game/quick reference.  I have plans one day to do something more in-depth but I don't have a lot of time to devote on my project right now.  

Besides, more choices is always better.

I was actually trying to make this app for windows but its a real pain to do that in java if you don't want your users to run your program from command prompt.

I was actually trying to make this app for windows but its a real pain to do that in java if you don't want your users to run your program from command prompt.

In what sense, could you not just make a .bat that starts it up?

Actually, I might give it a shot myself in java or c# and make a nice executable version.

Luckily the dev tool I used to create the AlloyCalc can take the HTML5/Javascript and use Node Webkit to create executables for Win/Mac/Linux, but since I only develop in a Windows environment I only released the windows executable for mine (and only on one version, only been one minor bug fix since then though and since I don't have time, people will just make due).  Look around to see if there's a good wrapper for Java that you could leverage to make it at least appear to be an executable.  No sense reinventing the wheel.

I maybe will release a windows version after im done with android, but i will release it in c++ or something else that supports GUI.

Here is a little pre-taste of whats comming.

http://imgur.com/JKJeB54

http://imgur.com/qdHGBI0

When it comes to GUI, there's only the result that i have left to do.

It will some time to write the algorithm to fit the vessels and crucibles requirements, but i will happen eventually.

What you see is the Vessel mode and the Crucible mode. You choose the alloy you want and it only displays materials that fit for the alloy. Then you press the buttons that correspond to each type of ore/ingot and you enter how much of that material you have, Then press optimize and its done. It will display exactly what materials to use to get the alloy you want without any loss of metal. The vessel is quite limited because of its 4 spaces, so it may be very hard to find the right combination of ores if you don't have variation so there may be some tips on what to collect to make it work or how many ingots you can actually make at a time.

Please let me know what you think of the future layout and if there is anything unclear with it.

A little update on the project. I didn't have much time lately but i did some coding. The vessel mode is pure madness, i haven't been able to make it work yet. Therefore, i will be releasing the new version without the vessel mode. It will be visible, but it will do nothing. Of course i'm planning to finish it, but for now its not that important.

If you need to optimize your vessel alloys, use this:

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/5774-alloy-calculator/

Luckily enough, this site and my app will complete each other for the time being. Mine doesn't have vessel mode, his doesn't have crucible mode :)

It was originally called just Addons, but since Kitty clarified the guides forum to be only for guides, she needed a place to put both your app and mine so she renamed it to Addons and Applications.  Just for us.  Don't you feel special?  I know I do!

The new version of this app is now available in google store. The app is pretty straight forward to use, and also there is help if something is going wrong. Let me know what you think.

I actually could use some input on a conceptual problem I'm having. This will be used in both vessel and crucible mode. I would really appreciate some new ideas.

The problem:

When you use the app, you must give it a ratio- this is actually preferred ratio and it can change.

This ratio will change if its not possible to find a fitting combination of materials for it. So basically the app will tamper with the ratio until it succeeds.

But I would like the users to be able to decide how the app modifies the ratio. I want the user to say to the app that he rather wants copper to get higher and other metals lower.

This is important when for example making Black Steel. You definitely do not want the garnierite to get higher since its rare, but you don't mind the other stuff to be used. Or maybe you are very lucky and you spawned in a giant garnierite heaven and you want to save other stuff. Please tell me your ideas! They will very likely make it to the app.

Perhaps the first materials entered gets highest priority of being used up, and so on.

Then if the app has to modify the ratio it will focus on the material first entered and modify the rest of the ratios based on that?

I actually could use some input on a conceptual problem I'm having. This will be used in both vessel and crucible mode. I would really appreciate some new ideas.

The problem:

When you use the app, you must give it a ratio- this is actually preferred ratio and it can change.

This ratio will change if its not possible to find a fitting combination of materials for it. So basically the app will tamper with the ratio until it succeeds.

But I would like the users to be able to decide how the app modifies the ratio. I want the user to say to the app that he rather wants copper to get higher and other metals lower.

This is important when for example making Black Steel. You definitely do not want the garnierite to get higher since its rare, but you don't mind the other stuff to be used. Or maybe you are very lucky and you spawned in a giant garnierite heaven and you want to save other stuff. Please tell me your ideas! They will very likely make it to the app.

Yes, please do this. Setting different priorities would be the best. <3  :D

I am currently swamped with my studies, but after some thinking i decided that priority is going to be set based on how much of an ore instance you have in comparison to whats needed. This is to avoid making the user interface too complicated. So when you don't have to worry which material to save- it will be done for you. When is released, i will explain(in the help tab) a technique that can be used to somehow affect which material is going to be saved.

Nevertheless, i still have a lot of stuff to do in real life so don't expect this update to be coming out any time soon.

This app is almost exactly what I needed.  I'm looking for something that will basically let me input a list of every ore type/amount that i have stashed away and tell me what alloys I can make with it, how many of each I can make, and what the optimal way to spread out the percentages among the diff ores is.  Seems like your app will at least do most of that if I put it in what ores I have and I juts have to specify the alloy I want instead of it giving me a list of what all I can make.

Is this project still going?

I really enjoy smelting now when the app makes it so easy to do the calculusions. Time to make sime metal tools.

Sorry if this not your priority, but have you considered adding an theme for the app? I really think a darking blue colour would be better (color: #0b0b61).

Do you have any planning of when the next rev will be released?

Also what language in programs did you make this app?

Thx for making the source-code public :)

Will be interesting to me as I'm on a mission to learn Java.