Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
WetCheerios

Visual Glitches and Crashing Clients

6 posts in this topic

So this may or may not be a long winded post, I'm not to sure how it's going to play out yet.

I've recently started a completely Vanilla TFC server, literally only the TFC JAR and Forge are installed. I've had it up and running for a few weeks now, with no real concern or issues to speak of. Just recently I've encountered multiple bugs and and issues that are threatening the servers world itself, and I'm going to go over the lot of them in this post. I'll have some of the players go over there personal account of the issues as well in the reply section. Note I have "fixed" (or at least temporarily fixed) most of these issues, the main reason I post is simply to make the the community, and more importantly the developers of the mod aware so they know about them and have a chance to fix them and improve upon their mod.

I have deleted the servers config and got a lot of the players to delete there own as well, also naturally I restarted server.

So to start off with, I'll briefly talk about a bug that I did kinda go over in IRC with Bioxx.

So some of the members on the server were experiencing a kind of latency (which could be unrelated), and shortly followed by a crashing of there clients. I'll have them post their error reports. I went over to the area I knew they were to see what was going on, and as soon as I got close to what turned out was an orchard, I also crashed immediately with this crash report: http://paste2.org/sajG2Hxa . After attempting to log back onto the server I continually crashed as soon as I logged on. I went to IRC, found out I was basically hooped and had to MCedit out the tree that was causing the problem. After deleting the proper blocks I logged back in, and everything seemed to work accordingly.

The new bug we're having might be slightly related to the bug previously listed, and I have a few theories about it myself.

So lets go back a week or so, I was doing some smithing with a buddy. He makes a pile of copper ingots, maybe 60-70 ingots in the pile. I walk up and all I can see is one ingot on the ground, yet he can see the entire stack of 60. If I took the one ingot I could see, the stack would appear to me and all would be well. Heres a quick recording of that bug:

Sounds like a pretty insignificant bug, right? Well jump back to now, I'm in the same area as the one I had to edit the tree out of previously. All the Ingot stacks, anvils, stones on the ground, sticks on the ground, grass... it's all invisible, and not only that, the ingot piles can't be picked up or broken. When I tried to break it in creative mode it was like there was nothing there, I punched the block behind it while trying to punch the invisible pile. The only reason we knew they still existed was the fact that we couldn't walk in the space the pile was occupying. There was no way to obtain the invisible rocks either, yet we could however break the rocks. The anvil had no interaction to it, and I ended up having to replace all the stuff via creative mode. This was only happening in the area surrounding the previously bugged out orchard, so I think it may have had something to do with either that, or MCedit somehow messed it up, because that was the only area I was in on MCedit. Another thing, buckets seemed to also be invisible unless clicked upon, but if I left the area that seemed to be "Buggy" it becomes visible in my inventory, when i return to the area, it disappears again.

If necessary I'll have members post their accounts of these issues and also their crash reports, as they seem to have been crashing for different reasons.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Cheerios

So just to give more background on WetCherrios report...

I was making an orchard of different fruit trees.  When I gathered the saplings in my inventory I noticed one of my olive tree saplings was not stacking with the rest of the olive tree saplings.  I didn't think much of it since I had previously seen this type of behavior with worked/un-worked ingots.  When I planted this special sapling I noticed the stump was invisible (by invisible I mean it has a hit box but it is 100% transparent).  So naturally I punched the stump which immediately crashed my game.  To rule out other possibilities for crash I did it 3 more times.  Crash reports:

http://pastebin.com/Q0dUaDtu

http://pastebin.com/vxKh880y

http://pastebin.com/ULkdxnRQ

The tree grew normally, at the same speed of the trees around it.  But ALL of the 'wood' texture parts (trunk and branches) were invisible.  The leaves were totally normal, however.  I didn't try punching it anymore.  I never got around to harvesting from the tree either.

Also, I think my latency issues were unrelated (since I found my ping to the server to be around 250ms compared to my normal 40-50ms) but perhaps that exacerbated some underlying bug that was going on.

The fruit tree crash is due to us changing how fruit trees were handled in different hotfixes of 78. If the world was generated any time before 78.10 and since updated, I can see the possibility of how this happened. This is already fixed in 79 since all references to the pre-78.10 trees are gone.

The ingot pile server sync issue has been around since Dunk first implemented the ingot pile. It's the exact same issue that happens with food prep tables.

As for the invisible blocks, it does indeed have to do with the chunk being edited in MCEdit. For some reason when transferring saves back and forth between SSP and SMP, the majorty of the tile entities no longer work properly. There are already reports of this bug in these threads:

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/5252-

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/6153-

The fruit tree crash is due to us changing how fruit trees were handled in different hotfixes of 78. If the world was generated any time before 78.10 and since updated, I can see the possibility of how this happened. This is already fixed in 79 since all references to the pre-78.10 trees are gone.

Right, just as follow up the world was not created before 0.78.10, it was created in the current build 0.78.17.

So just to give more background on WetCherrios report...

I was making an orchard of different fruit trees.  When I gathered the saplings in my inventory I noticed one of my olive tree saplings was not stacking with the rest of the olive tree saplings.  I didn't think much of it since I had previously seen this type of behavior with worked/un-worked ingots.  When I planted this special sapling I noticed the stump was invisible (by invisible I mean it has a hit box but it is 100% transparent).  So naturally I punched the stump which immediately crashed my game.  To rule out other possibilities for crash I did it 3 more times.  Crash reports:

http://pastebin.com/Q0dUaDtu

http://pastebin.com/vxKh880y

http://pastebin.com/ULkdxnRQ

The tree grew normally, at the same speed of the trees around it.  But ALL of the 'wood' texture parts (trunk and branches) were invisible.  The leaves were totally normal, however.  I didn't try punching it anymore.  I never got around to harvesting from the tree either.

Also, I think my latency issues were unrelated (since I found my ping to the server to be around 250ms compared to my normal 40-50ms) but perhaps that exacerbated some underlying bug that was going on.

This is already fixed in 79

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. This happened to me 10 minutes ago on rhodances server using pure forge+tfc build 79.7.

Exactly the same thing, it was olive, it didn't stack, it was invisible when i placed it, it crashed my game when i tried to break it.

If this happens to anyone I found you can fix it by dropping cobble on the ghost trunk block, be warned that it will kick everyone on the server but when you log back in the tree will be gone.

Was going to make a new thread but a quick search found this one. Coincidence that it's olive again?