Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Pyrocantaes

Rocksalt - a world without any?

19 posts in this topic

So after spending a monthof TF minecraft days exploring pangea (and yes I have one large landsmass surround by 2000+ size oceans) and not finding any surface rocksalt deposits anywhere .. where might I stand any chance of finding any? The same goes for graphite.. Kaolinite I have inabundance and the very large rich vein of gold under my house is just a little worthless right now..

It is not uncommon in TFC to travel at least 10,000 blocks. If you can't find any rock salt or the minerals on your continent, I suggest making a boat.

I traveled about 3k blocks with a boat to find rock salt and kaolnite. Some things are really hard to find in TFC.

Travelled 5k to find it. Enjoyed the journey a lot, never felt this way in the vanilla.

Leaving the horse on a shore, making boats (break constantly), checking rocks, prospecting, managing growing inventory, meeting jungle finally on a new southern lonely shore, cutting through heavy jungle foliage, feeling like a pioneer ...

No chickens yet, though :(

Btw, have U a minimap installed? Helps a lot.

Good luck! Don't let the puny rock salt outsmart you! Find it, dig it all out and dissolve into the ocean!!!

I gave up on chickens after i searcher a perimeter with 3k block radius. Also, what really annoys me is that even though animals are really rare, they always, ALWAYS spawn next to those darn bears. Literally every place there are animals, there are bears. I had to go to unloaded areas and kill all of them to transport the animals.

Is 3k perimeter enough? In my freshly spawned understanding, player spawns usually close to -10k. The wiki states that chickens appear in Jungle climate. Jungle climate requires temperature 24 to 35 and the highest rainfall:  >1500. So probably chickens would be more common closer to equator (0), like -2k to -4k?

Maybe if rains are more frequent in autumn (are they?), this would be a good time for the big chicken journey? Cons: crops could die.

I haven't noticed bears close to animals so far, guess I'm lucky :) I enjoyed noticing that a bear whom I remember killing at the start of the long journey, spawned again roughly at the same place when I returned.

My natural spawn was at around -15k (may of been further south) and Etho's TFC series he's at about 14k so it could be a very very long journey to find chickens...

3k circle is nowhere near big enough to find all that you need

Its possible to spawn even at 3k from equator, i think, or i was looking at the wrong coordinate.  But it wasnt the case on my world and if its true that chickens only spawn there, then indeed i need to travel further.

So I spent some time last night exploring further.. after crossing the 6000+ block southern ocean (6 minecraft days, my base is at -9800, next land mass excluding a few sand bars is at -2900) I found a new land mass.

So far after another 12 minecraft days exploring still no rocksalt.

Whilst this land mass does have some sedimentary rocks, conglomerate and claystone, it's predominately marble, basalt, and granite (again), with outcrops of Gabbro and Rhyolite, and one outcrop of slate. I've have found a large desert area and now a jungle..

And still no sign of rocksalt.. nickle (yes), sphalerite(huge amounts), copper (all forms large amount including on the surface), casserterite (including surface deposits), platignum, silver, gold, limonite,  and useless jet and galena. No obvious coal seen yet.

So where am I likely to find any rocksalt if there is any???

Edit: Yes I do have a mini-map installed.. Enables me to book mark both mineral deposits and night shelters.

Rock salt is a surface rock layer, so digging down will do nothing.

Also, rock salt is not a ore but a rock type, so try breaking rocks that are light gray-ish in color(well, unless you have a texturepack, in which case it might be different)

And I'm not sure if there are certain biomes or latitudes where rock salt layers generate, so..... the only thing you can do is explore, and explore a lot.

On the plus side, once you find rock salt, you'll probably be able to gather enough rock salt to never need to go collecting it ever again(unless you die and lose the lot)

Pyrocantaes, sorry man, bad luck. I would just search in a spiral. Just fighting probability with labor. I hope U will find it soon.

Btw, have U checked places really close to spawn? I spent lot of time searching for graphite and was speechless when found it right at spawn.

Also, as a sign of support to you, I decided to don't stop untill I find chickens, postponing my beloved skyrimish-pagoda-foodstorage-at-the-top-of-the-mountain project.

Chickens I have no problem with .. that jungle biome had loads.. but without some sort net to transport them in they're rather pointless.. I have pheasants close to home should I warrent it worth the effort to collect them (given that bows are pretty much useless).

To AllenWL .. yes I know rock salt is a surface layer ore .. all the ore deposits I quoted for the southern land mass were surface finds, yes even the native copper, tetrahedrite, and casserterite. The spawn is basalt to > 200 blocks away then it's either more basalt or marble. My main hose is 300 blocks from spawn on top of that very large rich gold/copper double vein and 100 blocks from a very large normal hematite vein and 250 blocks from the large normal casserterite vein. The coal and kaolinite are 900 blocks blocks from my base so about 1200 from spawn.

The other thing I've noted about this southern land mass is the distinct lack of animals.. I've seen half a dozen pigs, a few pheasant, and the half dozen or so chickens on the edge of the jungle biome. No bears or wolves.

I think (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that bears and wolves are colder climate animals, so not surprising you arent finding them near a jungle.

yes I know rock salt is a surface layer ore

That's just it. It's a surface layer ROCK, NOT a surface layer ORE. You will not find rock salt in an area that has marble, or basalt.. because that area is marble or basalt. Rock salt is just like marble and basalt, it is a stone type that will cover the entire surface of a very large area. It is not like native copper or cassiterite, which are ores that spawn inside of a stone. You don't use a propick to find rock salt. because it isn't an ore or a mineral. To find rock salt, you just keep running until you see a different color stone/dirt on the ground, and check what stone type it is. If it's not rock salt, keep running.

As for the animals spawning, furiousuk is correct. Animals only spawn in certain climates. The climate near the equator that chickens spawn in is much too hot for many other animals to spawn in. 

http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Climate

Edit: Some screenshots to drive home the fact that rock salt is a stone layer:

A cross section of a quartzite layer (left) meeting up with a rock salt layer (right). Every single one of those stone blocks on the right is rock salt.

Posted Image

How these two layers look meeting from above. Quartzite rocks scattered on the surface on the left, Rock Salt rocks scattered on the surface on the right:

Posted Image

Stone layers down near the middle layer. Quartzite (Left), Rock Salt (Right), Granite (Bottom):

Posted Image

So after another 6 minecraft days .. 3 spent replacing chisel, pick, and making a saw.. and starting to run short on food I decide to head home...

Round a small peninsula I saw something pinkish.. guess what rocksalt.. So I mined 6 64stacks, all I had room for and tried to head back north..

2000 blocks and 3 boats later .. I'd already suffered 2 crashes and lost my bed as a result.. and another land mass blocking my route ..

Heading inland .. guess what... more rock salt..

I crossed that one and 1000 blocks of ocean later another land mass and more rocksalt .. so just like busses you wait ages and then 3 come along at once..

So 4 more boats later, 3 crashes, one due to minecraft running out of memory.. I'm now back home..

At least I now now salt those cows and pigs that keep committing suicide...

Btw, have found chickens. Not in the Jungle, just in some climate-appropriate ordinary biome, like -6k ... They seem to enjoy water skiing - no problems with full-speed boat. But near the destination the only rooster was meanly murdered by a gang of skeletons and wolves. So a next journey is planned next summer. So fun!