Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DarkLadyPhoenix

Anyone else having issues with world gen?

18 posts in this topic

Hi! :) I've been away for a while. First with secret world beta and now D3, but I downloaded version 16 and while it has made some very impressive mountains, every other biome seems to be very mountainous.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am constantly running into forests that I can't reach because they are on top of a sheer cliff. Even the swamps and plains are hilly. That forest screenshot was the flattest place I could find in three different forests. Aside from building in swamp water, there is not other place where it is relatively flat. Is anyone else having this problem?

understand that there are a lot of different Biome's that generate different world's. if your looking for a flat place to work you have 3 choices. search VERY far for a flat place (you will find one eventually), make your own (it's what we do in real life), or start a supper flat world. please don't take this post the wrong way, I'm just trying to help. there isn't just one forest biome there are several plus the seed generator makes for a VARY unique map.

Did you even look at the Taiga screenshot? Or the "swamp"? This isn't on one seed either- it's on ALL seeds I've generated.

I'm not asking for a super flat place to work, but I expect plains to be plains and forests to be forests, not reallyfuckhigh mountains everywhere. I could give you more examples if you like... post more screenshots of everywhere I've been to prove that this is not just a fluke biome or seed?

Hills 3 was far taller than any mountain I'd found and I've looked in 3k in either direction. That alone should prove there's something a bit wrong here.

In case you haven't noticed, jumping takes nearly twice as much hunger than just running on flat land. Now multiply that by every step and you have a place where you will die of hunger before you even get across two biomes.

The flattest place I've found so far is Icy Plains which have no number, but the nearest tree is 1200 clicks away.

I've also tried terraforming a mountain exactly once in minecraft. It just doesn't work unless you have months to be chipping away at it. In order to get a flat area, you need a place that is already relatively flat becuase you'll still spend a week to make it how you like.

I recommend trying new seeds out. It sounds like you got a "mountainey" one. An interesting challenge, but if it isn't suited for you then you had better find a seed that is a bit nicer.

I've tried a different seed. I've tried 5 different seeds and they all look the same.

Does this look like a swamp to you?

Posted Image

Or this?

Posted Image

Does the word 'swamp' pop in your head when faced with those hills? Last time I checked, this mod was about realism. There is nothing realistic about a mountain of swamps.

Posted Image

Hills will kill you before you even reach the desert beyond.

How about a comparison?

Let's try the known flat land- plains. the first image is a v16 generation. The next one is from V5

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's a v5 swamp:

Posted Image

Does no one really notice the difference?

Yea I see a huge difference, hills. The terrain seems to be less flat in general. Although I'm loving those pillar-like mountains. I'd build a base on 3 of em and have bridges high up connecting them. It'd be epic.

the terrain has definately gotten more hilly after bioxx changed the sea level. there are more altitude variation than before.

But. In my opinion:

This change has only added to the realistic feel of most maps. there is plenty of terrain in real life that is just as epic as that witch you have made screenies of.

for example: plenty of swamps have elevation changes of several meters between the lowest and highest spots.

I've had pretty flat swamps generate in pre16. but they are somewhat rare, but when you do get one like that it will be a huge watery one.

The swamps where i live are usually pretty small affairs, often perched at the edge of the ocean or at the foot of a hill. I actually love it when i see this type of terrain showing up on my map. makes me feel straight at home imediately. I only wish that they had more birch and less willow in them, since norwegian swamps don't have willow trees. (i can repair them if i want that homey feel tho so I'm not complaining)

As for the food issue, well. walking for a full day on nothing but a loave of bread is kinda overpowered. altho i still usually manage to get by with one or tow pieces of pork. the trick is to choose a decent path, and not jump and run all the time. Just like a real human would do when trecking trough the woods.

now here is a tip for you. get the smart movement mod. it allows you to climb the 1 high ledges instead of jumping them. it also fixes steves lack of swimming ability.

being able to make a high jump and grab that ledge 4 blocks up and haul yourself up makes those big mountains not seem like such an anoyance anymore either, but rather a challenge to be enjoyed.

I actually feel that the smart movement mod has become a requirement for minecraft lately. If jeb were to add a mod to the vanilla minecraft today, then my vote would be for that one.

Hmm, we still have flat plains like in your V5 screenshots. Donno why you are having weird issues with your mountainous plains. We are having issues with biomes suddenly changing and having massive mountains sheared in half by biome changes. If you go in creative and fly up high, you'll have a massive 9-chunk square of solid snow surrounded by desert/plains/forest with sharp contrast between snowed-over and not-snowed-over land.

I saw that solid snow in the ocean this morning. I could swim through it so there was no dirt. I also don't run until I have a wheat farm up. Bread is a lot harder to make in TFC because there's almost no way to make an automated system unless you are very very lucky and find both enough cinnabar to power one and a bucket to move the water.

I would prefer not to get the movement mod as using mods tens to totally fubar my games, but as you said, it seems to be a requirement now :( Plus the installation videos seem to be offline.

It feels like a cheat to me because you can run on no hunger and you don't have to worry about terrain. Vanilla minecraft is designed so that there is an incentive to eat- you can't run on an empty stomach and learning to trek on easier terrain is rewarded.

I'm still looking for a place to set up my tree farm that doesn't entail me terraforming every single little block, so if anyone has a generated seed that produces relatively flat terrain like in v5, please PM me.

I saw that solid snow in the ocean this morning. I could swim through it so there was no dirt. I also don't run until I have a wheat farm up. Bread is a lot harder to make in TFC because there's almost no way to make an automated system unless you are very very lucky and find both enough cinnabar to power one and a bucket to move the water.

I would prefer not to get the movement mod as using mods tens to totally fubar my games, but as you said, it seems to be a requirement now :( Plus the installation videos seem to be offline.

It feels like a cheat to me because you can run on no hunger and you don't have to worry about terrain. Vanilla minecraft is designed so that there is an incentive to eat- you can't run on an empty stomach and learning to trek on easier terrain is rewarded.

I'm still looking for a place to set up my tree farm that doesn't entail me terraforming every single little block, so if anyone has a generated seed that produces relatively flat terrain like in v5, please PM me.

Try Canging the difficulty on the smart movement mod. (F9 button) if you set it to normal you replace the "hunger makes you not run" with an "out of breath" function. you can only run (sprint really) for a short while before you have to slow down. also it increases the hunger from running by a LOT. you'd still want to eat tho. being hungry can kill you when playing at the hard difficulty. running still has a function in this mode. namely to get out of dodge when chased by baddies you don't have the kit to fight, but you no longer are able to use it to quick travel unless you use the old run function (it is more like jogging speed compared to the sprint function run speed tho. so not as fast)

if you jump while jogging you get the long leap. same as vanilla minecraft, with one change. it depletes your ability to do another jump for a couple of seconds.

Posted Image

I don't know about your opinion but that's a pretty flat area like the one's from v5, but this is in v16

Ya i gets lots of both. Some flat some mountainous. You have to remember there are 130 different biomes. sometimes i get maps with almost no flat areas and sometimes I get maps with a mixture.

I counted an altitude change of 11 (or more, it went off screen) there in that last screenshot. In my opinion, an altitude change of 11 or more is hilly rather than a planes.

Terrain IS more hilly than before, and this is mostly not intended. I have purposefully added more variation to terrains in order to make the terrain more realistic to some extent. However when I raised the terrain to 145, a lot of anomalies occurred, including the obvious issue of too drastic terrain. Rivers in particular do not want to generate properly I've noticed.

I get a lot of grief when I force world gen changes in updates so I try to spread them out a bit. I'll be taking a look at addressing this issue among others as I implement the agri changes.

Terrain IS more hilly than before, and this is mostly not intended. I have purposefully added more variation to terrains in order to make the terrain more realistic to some extent. However when I raised the terrain to 145, a lot of anomalies occurred, including the obvious issue of too drastic terrain. Rivers in particular do not want to generate properly I've noticed.

I get a lot of grief when I force world gen changes in updates so I try to spread them out a bit. I'll be taking a look at addressing this issue among others as I implement the agri changes.

Don't remove the hillside swamp entirely will ya? they feel a lot like the mountain swamps i'm used to from where i live. it's a kind of variety that is needed to differentiate the various swamps a bit. at least until agri comes around with maybe some new plants that may not exists in every biome of same "type"?

I realize this is a late post, but I'm rather new to TFCraft (Absolutely loving it though).

When talking about swamps and mountains spawning together or a swamp area that doesn't have any visible water, you are thinking of the "common" thought of a swamp and maybe swamp isn't the proper word to describe these areas ("bog" may be more appropriate). I live in the forested hills of Northern Pennsylvania. We have a few swamps here that actually exist on the top and below cliffs. In one actual location, the swamp seems to fall off a cliff to the land below (about a 30 ft drop) that hasn't been caused by man.

Regarding not finding any plains or flat land, this isn't limited to just TFCraft (Even though Bioxx admits to changes that unintentionally caused problems). I've been playing Minecraft since "Classic" and have noticed that the terrain generation has become more and more hilly/mountainous. Another major difference with Vanilla Minecraft that has occurred are the sizes and frequency of the biomes. In my experience, it is more common for me to find swamp, forest/jungle, ocean, and mountain than it is anything else. I've searched on creative for 3 hours looking for a flat area to build at (I go a bit crazy with it sometimes (105 x 105 x 80 castle)). I've come across and ocean biome (literally with only a few islands up to 10 blocks in size) that took me an hour to travel across on creative.

In regards to your comment about terraforming a mountain, it all depends on how much you play minecraft. Admittedly, it will take longer in TFCraft, but it won't take months to do. 3 of your screenshots show land that would only take a few minecraft days to flatten out into a workable area. On my server, I've flattened out about a 70x70 area in just 3 Minecraft days.

As far as hunger goes, kill some cows. Eating Chicken and Pork raw will make you sick, but eating beef raw doesn't. Frankly, it doesn't recover a lot of hunger, but it's better than starving to death because you're climbing a mountain (some of which you could just run around). Also, if your hunger is completely filled, it takes longer to use up 1 "indicator" than it does if your hunger isn't full.

In your comparison screenshots of the plains from v5 and v16, there are a few things to consider.

• The generation configuration has changed, so even the same seed would generate differently.
  • If you look at the biome information, one of those screenshots was taken in Plains10 and the other in Plains7. These are 2 different biomes that will have different generation configurations.
To make a proper comparison of the 2 versions using that method, you need to use the same seed and take screenshots from the same location facing in the same direction.

Snow appearing/spawning on top of water (and even in mid air) is a problem that has been noticed with vanilla Minecraft (and even video documented by the Yogscast).

I don't know if it would work, but what you might try is creating a world in a pre-beta Minecraft that has the elevation/terrain you are looking for, then load it in a current version of Minecraft. This would force the world to reconfigure and may present you with a low altitude world with flat regions.

Actually (I did this on accident while I was in the process of making a fresh install of my mods) you can't make a vanilla map and then install TFC and play on it because the TFC blocks aren't spawned and won't replace the vanilla blocks that are already spawned.

Actually (I did this on accident while I was in the process of making a fresh install of my mods) you can't make a vanilla map and then install TFC and play on it because the TFC blocks aren't spawned and won't replace the vanilla blocks that are already spawned.

Thanks for the verification on that. I wasn't sure if it would process it or not, but now that I think about it, it makes sense that it doesn't. The conversion is a Mojang tool, not a TFCraft tool.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0