Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aldebaran

Musket Add-On Concept

10 posts in this topic

Given the number of requests that have been made to add firearms to the game (enough to where Dunk even posted that he would personally  not add them in under the do-not-request page), I am surprised that nobody has actually stepped forward to build it as an add on.  I myself am not a programmer in any capacity and I won't venture that it is possible for me to build an add-on (sometimes I am amazed that I can even turn on my computer). 

Having said that, I can't build an add-on... but I can build a musket.

I know it is a bit of a shot in the dark, but if there are any skilled mod builders who would be interested in building a mod I would be more than happy to assist you however possible.  A flintlock would be doable but I can see a matchlock being more viable with simpler construction and less work. 

A matchlock musket recipe could easily be something as simple as:

Lever + Fuse + Barrel + Stock

Lever: New casting recipe made of steel, blue steel or red steel

Fuse: Made from yarn/rope (possibly combined with suet if using assets from extra-firma

Barrel: steel, blue steel or red steel tuyere x 2

Stock: Wooden Plank + knife

Ammunition could also be done simply as well via a paper cartridge recipe:

Paper + Powder + Musket Ball
Paper: Just regular Paper

Powder: Gunpowder

Musket Ball: New Clay Mold Recipe filled using lead

Matchlock: (an overly complicated one, but still)

Posted Image

Flintlock:

Posted Image

Comments, concerns and prayer requests are all appreciated!

how would this be different from Extrafima's Cross bow?  Other than requiring top tier materials, it would still take time to load, would it be useful against skeletons? I'm all for adding uses to the red/blue steel/mid-to-end-game, but other than the wish-fulfillment of bearing arms in most mods what would be the point?  (no offense intended).

Why not using metals currently unused? Something like brass.

brass.

lead

I don't feel particular need for such device but I guess it could a very nice, not overly overpowered gimmick (expensive ammunition, slow reload but very powerful attack with relatively straight projectile trajectory?) - not only it'd be another potential goal late-game but I really like the idea of using currently rather worthless metals (though technically, I don't see why a flintlock or musket and their ammunition couldn't be made with all kinds of those metals as well, as long as they're not overly soft). I wouldn't even mind such thing showing itself in the core mod - seems not less fitting than pumps, pipes and other such bits that were planned.

I won't say a real musket has a straight trajectory... hell if somebody with a musket (note: musket, not rifle) shoots at you at about 100 yards and actually hits you, you are terribly unlucky.  However, for the purposes of an add-on such as this the trajectory would of course be straight.

The difference between the musket and the crossbow is that...

You can't regather fired ammunition for a musket

A musket hits with substantially more force than a crossbow, enough to where enemy defenses just don't matter

For the purpose of the game we will go off traditional standards and claim it takes 20-30 seconds to load a musket, a bit longer than a crossbow

I won't say a real musket has a straight trajectory... hell if somebody with a musket (note: musket, not rifle) shoots at you at about 100 yards and actually hits you, you are terribly unlucky.

Well, obviously the 'straight' trajectory is straight only to a degree. Even modern rifles won't let a bullet carry on indefinitely before starting to lose altitude. At the same time, at certain distance an arrow shot from regular bow with certain force behind it will go relatively straight.What I meant is that musket's projectile should retain it's altitude for far longer than an arrow does and hit the target when shot straight at them from longer distance that it happens with currently available ranged weaponry.

Well, obviously the 'straight' trajectory is straight only to a degree. Even modern rifles won't let a bullet carry on indefinitely before starting to lose altitude. At the same time, at certain distance an arrow shot from regular bow with certain force behind it will go relatively straight.What I meant is that musket's projectile should retain it's altitude for far longer than an arrow does and hit the target when shot straight at them from longer distance that it happens with currently available ranged weaponry.

I was actually making a joke about how inaccurate muskets tended to be... 

Muskets don't have rifling which puts a twist on a bullet helping it to fly straight (think the way an American football seems to roll but not end over end after it is thrown).  They also used projectiles which were often smaller than the barrels they were being loaded into.  Wadding could help compensate if it was packed tightly enough but most of the time the bullet would be bouncing about in the barrel as it was propelled forward.  This resulted in the bullet not traveling straight forward, but instead would instead exit at a slight angle to the left, right, up or down.  This was the reason why infantry regiments would line up in formations to fire at their enemy, because instead of being a precise weapon, the regiment would function as a sort shotgun.  This was the reason why the American Civil War tended to be more bloody than the Napoleonic war, because during the American Civil War both sides tended to be equip with rifles... and it doesn't even take a competent marksman to hit a target the size of an infantry formation at 100 yards.

That being said, I absolutely agree, a musket ball would travel much further than a bow or crossbow fired at the same angle

Physics Time

Also, as a bit of a comparison on force:

An arrow weighs roughly: 400-500grains*

A musket ball for a 75 cal weighs roughly: 500-600 grains**

*weight variance intended to include variation in wood for shaft and assumes a simple steel arrowhead

** weight variance intended to include round ball between 69cal and 75cal which all function in a 75 cal musket, also assumes a simple round ball projectile

Peak FPS for Bow: 180-200fps*

Peak FPS for Musket: 1500-2000fps**

*This is for a Recurve bow, not a compound bow

**This is for a standard powder charge of blackpowder

and what matters...  Kinetic Energy (what kind of power will it hit with)

Bow-

Low:28.748

High:44.365

Musket-

Low: 2495.563

High:5323.868

So the musket would be hitting with about 10x the momentum of a bow on average.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0