Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
BadLeo

Some suggestions for storage items, storage behaviour and fertilizer production

32 posts in this topic

Hello fellows! Here some suggestions I hope you people find usefull to implement in TFC. I searched to see if there's something like that already suggested, but found nothing. I apologise if its already suggested and I didn't spoted.

1ª) CLAY BOWL:

made by molding 5 clay in the hand (the basic process, you know the drill), which should yield 2 bowls (much like ingot molds) that should be cooked. After that, the clay bowl is ready to use the same way the wooden one, except that:

- it should be returned to the inventory after eating the meal made with it; (more resistent, easy to clean, so it should be reusable)
- it should not be turned onto gold pan;

- it could have a chance to break when used, like the jug.

2ª) WATER SKIN

made by cuting a piece of leather with the knife into a specific shape (same process to make leather armour and other leather stuff):

- It should have half the capacity of the jug;

- it could also be filled with alcoholic beverage, not only water;

- it doesn't breaks! =p

- it's stackable when empty! xD

3ª) Cobblestone, stone bricks and brick blocks should NOT GO INSIDE CHESTS, much like logs

- Cobblestone should be stocked like logs: right-clicking on the ground with one pieace opens the stock menu were you can place four stacks of four, making a pile of cobblestone that can be placed on top of each other without falling. Just like logs, really.

- Stone bricks, made with a rock and the chisel, should be pilled up just like ingots, by right-clicking it on the ground or surface.

- Brick blocks should not be stockable at all, or, at least, placed into piles like logs. Not into chests, no no no.

Chests should be for small, light and medium items only. Heavy/huge items should all be piled.

4ª) Fertilizer production with rotten flesh (give it a use or take it out of the game, it makes me crazy!) and spoiled food.

Since feces will never be implemented (I would find amusing to find digestive byproduct drops, just like eggs, hovering inside were I pastured my cattle), then, by all means, make rotten flesh and spoiled food usable into a process to make fertilizer:

- when you cut the spoiled part off your food, instead of desapering, the spoiled part is made into a generic item called 'spoiled food'; all foods just give that same generic item;

- on a multi-block shape just like the forge but made with dirt (it has to be dirt), you throw 8 pieces of rotten flesh or spoiled food and one bucket of water;

- 12 ingame hours later (maybe more time depending on game balance), and voilà! You have a block of fertilizer, just like charcoal, that you have to mine with the shovel, just like charcoal, and will drop fertilizer items that you can use on your poor-managed farms to  make you happy and well feed.

That's all, folks! I hope you enjoy these suggestions. I have some more ideas, but I'll think on them a little bit more before posting. Cheers!

Edit: Apologize in advance for my english, I'm not a native speaker. Feel free to correct me if I accidentaly murdered the english grammar.

You typed english well, though I think you ment bowl instead of bow in the first part, other than that, I liked the ideas and your post

1. Ceramic and Metal bowls are already planned for TFC. Wooden bowls are actually being removed entirely other than for use as gold pans.

2. Other than the not breaking, glass bottles already fill all of these requirements.

3. Chests used to only do small, light and medium items. The problem is that the weight/size system in TFC really only has to do with stack sizes, and isn't actually a good representation of size and weight. The capacity of chests was increased because there were so many items that had no other place to store, such as anvils, armor, barrels, and doors.

4. Using rotten flesh and decayed food as compost is already under consideration.

1. Ceramic and Metal bowls are already planned for TFC. Wooden bowls are actually being removed entirely other than for use as gold pans.

2. Other than the not breaking, glass bottles already fill all of these requirements.

3. Chests used to only do small, light and medium items. The problem is that the weight/size system in TFC really only has to do with stack sizes, and isn't actually a good representation of size and weight. The capacity of chests was increased because there were so many items that had no other place to store, such as anvils, armor, barrels, and doors.

4. Using rotten flesh and decayed food as compost is already under consideration.

What about cooking? You need wooden bowls for cooking. (If there has been a replacement for that, I haven't heard about it)

What about cooking? You need wooden bowls for cooking. (If there has been a replacement for that, I haven't heard about it)

I'm guessing you haven't read any of the posts on the front page of the website, or follow Dunk or Bioxx on twitter?

One of the primary new things for 79 is completely overhauling cooking.

Glass bottles break? well that's news to me.

I don't like the idea of rotten food being used as fertilizer unless it just makes very crappy fertilizer, or a very very little amount of fertilizer.

Don't really care about rotten flesh, though since rotten flesh can be very abundant, it might kinda mess up the entire balancing of farming

I don't like the idea of rotten food being used as fertilizer unless it just makes very crappy fertilizer, or a very very little amount of fertilizer.

Don't really care about rotten flesh, though since rotten flesh can be very abundant, it might kinda mess up the entire balancing of farming

I completely agree about the balancing issues regarding how readily available the materials are to make compost. Because of this, it's very likely that it would take a lot of rotten material to make a single piece of usable fertilizer. Perhaps 80 ounces of rotten food, or 32 pieces of rotten flesh for a single piece of compost that would be equivalent of fertilizer made from grounding sylvite.

May I ask why you don't like the idea of rotten food as fertilizer? That is pretty much compost to a t, minus the things we are obligated not to mention.

May I ask why you don't like the idea of rotten food as fertilizer? That is pretty much compost to a t, minus the things we are obligated not to mention.

It isn't the idea that there is a problem with, it's the implementation and balancing of said idea.

Food is fairly easy to get a decent amount of, rotten food even more so. If you say could turn 10 ounces of rotten food into a single piece of fertilizer, the general rot that you get from a decent size farm during the lifespan of eating it would generate more than enough fertilizer to keep full each and every plot on your farm at full nutrients.

Functionality like this would essentially make sylvite-based fertilizer completely useless, because it wouldn't be the worth the effort required to find and grind it, when you already have a readily available alternative source.

I totally missed your post Kitty, and I must have glazed over the balance statement. My brain is slightly lacking in energy at the moment, my apologies.

Yes, yes, balancing is what will make it enjoyable. I think the fertilizer made this way could be 'weak', only replenishing just a little bit of nutrients. Enough for a small plantation, but definitively not enough for mass farming. Or it could take a lot of time to get done, with multiple action required, like leting it dry during the day and putting more water on it at night, for, say, 3 days, to get some pieces. The balancing could be made not only with the quantities, but with the methods and the effort needed. I just suggested it that way to kinda make it fit one of the most intuitive TFC mechanics, at least in my opinion. But it could take other methods, like grinding things, then mixing it with water. Or a combination of all the things. Lets say:

- You take X pieces/ounces of rotten flesh or spoiled food and grind it, getting a defined amount of 'grinded decayed material';

- Then, you have to mix it with some amount water, in the barrel or with buckets, to get biomass;

- Then, you have to throw it on the 'composting pit', 8 pieaces at a time to form a block, and let it dry for a day and adding another 8 pieces on the next day, repeating the process for a total of, lets say, 4 days;

- At the end, you get a 'fertilizer block' that you break down into Y number of 'weak fertilizer items';

About the waterskin, I just think it fits the role for what it is proposed kinda better than the glass bottles just because of the flavor. I mean, not even in real life and modern time glass bottles are the chosen containers for travellers to carry their beverage. They're heavy, cumbersome and harmfull when they break. And when transported, they're prone to break. For game purposes, I'm fine with the bottles, I just feel a waterskin would better blend TFC atmosphere. xDGlass bottles could fit another entirely different purpose: aging distiled products, on dark cellars, so that it becomes stronger with the time. Aged rum would make the dizzy effects with half the doses normal rum does, for instance. it would be very cool.

About the waterskin, I just think it fits the role for what it is proposed kinda better than the glass bottles just because of the flavor. I mean, not even in real life and modern time glass bottles are the chosen containers for travellers to carry their beverage. They're heavy, cumbersome and harmfull when they break. And when transported, they're prone to break. For game purposes, I'm fine with the bottles, I just feel a waterskin would better blend TFC atmosphere. xD

You're going to the park for a walk, do you take a glass cup, fill it with water and go for your walk hapilly with it in your hand? Do you take a glass bottle, fill it and put it on your backpack? You know that little spot on the bicycle to put a bottle, do you put a glass bottle there? You go camping, the pakcs of water bottles you buy, that bottles are made of glass? If so, you're really weirdo, you and the people who fill your mineral water bottles. xD

Yes...sorta. I recycle old wine bottles for pretty much everything for camping I just fill a bunch of the 2 gallon bottles? or are they 1 gallon, I don't remember the large sangria jugs or apple juice jugs. You would be amazed at how handy a cylinder of scrap upholstery fabric and a strap can be. Though the occasional questioning by cops does occur, not really anything to worry about if you aren't doing any no-nos.

You're going to the park for a walk, do you take a glass cup, fill it with water and go for your walk hapilly with it in your hand? Do you take a glass bottle, fill it and put it on your backpack? You know that little spot on the bicycle to put a bottle, do you put a glass bottle there? You go camping, the pakcs of water bottles you buy, that bottles are made of glass? If so, you're really weirdo, you and the people who fill your mineral water bottles. xD

Counter argument - Do you use a leather water sac for all of those things? Because the last I checked, I use a plastic bottle, which is outside the timeframe of TFC's scope.

Yes...sorta. I recycle old wine bottles for pretty much everything for camping I just fill a bunch of the 2 gallon bottles? or are they 1 gallon, I don't remember the large sangria jugs or apple juice jugs. You would be amazed at how handy a cylinder of scrap upholstery fabric and a strap can be. Though the occasional questioning by cops does occur, not really anything to worry about if you aren't doing any no-nos.

No one will ever convince me that plastic doesn't leech crap into it's contents, cause I can taste that crap. Tis also why I use glass and not metal, because it doesn't effect the taste of anything.

I would use glass for the same reason, but since I don't have glass, I stick with using a thermos to make my water really really cold so I can't taste that taste. Or stick with tea.

Anyways if we do have water skins, I think it should be worth more than one sip, and the jugs should be worth more than one sip as well.

I think leather waterskins should slowly degrade instead of randomly disappearing, and not be placeable in chests when full, so while more or less same as the jugs, you know when it'll disappear, so you don't have problems like walking out into the desert then having your water jug break. So a waterskin would be better for travel as you can avoid unexpected breakage of your water container, but a water jug will be better for in-home use since it's a lot more sturdy(usually anyways), and can be placed on the ground or in a chest for more effective storage.

Ah, yes, undoubtedly glass is the less reactive material you can make a cheap container of. But it only matters if you are going to let the liquid stay in te container for long periods of time.

I would use glass for the same reason, but since I don't have glass, I stick with using a thermos to make my water really really cold so I can't taste that taste. Or stick with tea.

Anyways if we do have water skins, I think it should be worth more than one sip, and the jugs should be worth more than one sip as well.

I think leather waterskins should slowly degrade instead of randomly disappearing, and not be placeable in chests when full, so while more or less same as the jugs, you know when it'll disappear, so you don't have problems like walking out into the desert then having your water jug break. So a waterskin would be better for travel as you can avoid unexpected breakage of your water container, but a water jug will be better for in-home use since it's a lot more sturdy(usually anyways), and can be placed on the ground or in a chest for more effective storage.

I like the idea of having a water skin, but I do not think it should replace jugs. Clay jugs already break in TFC.  Clay has been used to carry water on journeys in large vessels carried on the head or back and in pottery canteens.  In general I'd like multiple options for how to store things in TFC, each created with different materials and with different pros and cons . Perhaps pottery jugs could carry a couple servings of water, would need to be carried in the inventory and has a a chance of breaking while a water skin would carry a single serving, wouldn't break/would wear out predictably and could be carried in a new belt slot, or in a stack of two.

Yap. Exactly. The Idea is not to replace the clay jug, but to have one more option, specificaly one trustworth option to travel. And, if the problem is that there is addon, then, by all means, half the work is made by someone else! Just talk to the person and ask if he/she is wiling to have his/her work add to TFC. I bet he/she will be very glad.Since clay bowls were already going to be implemented anyawys, we can forget about that suggestion. But what about the fertilizer process? We could add some more requiriments to that, like mixing blocks of dirt (cause you can't move dirt to get farmland, but there might still be plenty of worms, bugs and bacteria to help te composting process) to the composting pit. Or it could take another entirely different form: making small qantities of potash with a barrel and ashes of saplings or leaves.Another thing related to farm is that cattle, sheep and pig should eat the crops if they have access to it. Would be wrathfully amazing.

One thing that bothers me in relation with the water skin is that it is actually lighter then Clay jugs so you should be able to carry more water with it not less.

Found this HERE

"For the majority of native Americans, they did not carry very much and (since they lived in semi-permanent villages) they did not travel far. In the woodlands area of the eastern USA and Canada, canoes were used to transport heavy goods such as furs for trading. 

On the Plains with its enforced nomadic lifestyle, everything was deliberately made as lightweight as possible. There was no pottery, since pots are heavy, no wooden furniture, no heavy building materials and so on. The heaviest items were the tipi poles and the buffalo hide tipi covers; both were easily transported by means of travois drawn by horses. 

In the absence of pottery, cooking was done (before traders brought iron pots) in buffalo stomachs stretched on a frame, filled with water and heated with red-hot stones dropped in and frequently replaced. Clothing, food and other small items were packed into large rawhide envelopes called "parfleches"; warbonnets and other sacred items could be carried in tubular rawhide containers closed at each end, usually painted and fringed. 

The Plains nomads mastered the art of "travelling light" through necessity. "

​Pottery is not for travelling. Yes woman would carry water from the river to the habitation on big pots over their heads. They never lived too far from the water source exactly because of that.

​I have learned a great deal about metallurgy since I started playing TFC.

I think the same could be true for human development through the ages. 

Your logic, while not completely incorrect, is a little skewed. A water skin is lighter, but also considerably smaller, than what I imagine the clay pots to be modeled after. So it's not a matter of holding more water as it is carrying more skins. Historically the clay pots that women would go fill was a once a day occurrence and typically covered every possible use of water that a family would need it for, barring perhaps bathing. Whereas most water skins I've seen /might/ carry drinking water for two, maybe. More than likely a single skin was drinking water for a persons needs for a couple of days, so yes they would probably need to carry several in order to make it from one water source to another.