Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
BadLeo

Some suggestions for storage items, storage behaviour and fertilizer production

32 posts in this topic

Well, IRL that would depend on the actaul size of the waterskin. Which would depend on the size of the hide and/or blatter used. I propose it to carry less water for gameplay porpouses, so its balanced with the jug. But I also think jugs should hold more water, maybe an entire bucket worth of water instead of half, which means 2 servings, filling the entire thrist gauge. Then you mesure the size of the waterskin by that, half of what the jug caries, 1 serving, three bars of the thrist gauge.

Your logic, while not completely incorrect, is a little skewed. A water skin is lighter, but also considerably smaller, than what I imagine the clay pots to be modeled after. So it's not a matter of holding more water as it is carrying more skins. Historically the clay pots that women would go fill was a once a day occurrence and typically covered every possible use of water that a family would need it for, barring perhaps bathing. Whereas most water skins I've seen /might/ carry drinking water for two, maybe. More than likely a single skin was drinking water for a persons needs for a couple of days, so yes they would probably need to carry several in order to make it from one water source to another.

Well the thing is... those where as you say, clay pots, not jugs. While yes, clay vessels where used to store water for the family, the containers used tended to be a bit bigger than the average jug. I'd say that a waterskin and a clay jug would have near same capacity, but a jug would be a bit bigger, and also have the advantage of keeping the water a little cooler, and not having the old-leather taste that water inside a waterskin gets after a few hours.

I think clay jugs and leather water skins should both hold water for around 2~3 days, but a jug should have slightly more, like more uses, or restore more thirst. I think they should hold about 4~5-ish servings, and adding more on the 'waterskin is better for travel than jug', how about a jug can break at any time, so not only can it break in the middle of a trip leaving you with nothing to drink from, it could also break when water is still left in it, wasting the water. A waterskin should wear and disappear, but only get damage to durability if you drink up all the water, so you know that the water skin won't break at least until you drink up all the water, and you can also know when to get a new skin, so it'll be much more handy when traveling. However, a water jug that can be placed down, and restores more thirst, would be more useful around the house than a waterskin. The storage methods, I think would be nice, I mentioned above so I won't say again.

And this is just me going everywhere, but speaking of clay water pots....

Won't it be nice to have a method to store water before the copper age? Say, a clay vessel/pot of sorts that stores around oh, half or 1/4 the capacity of a barrel, and can't be used for things like, say making a barrel of tannin to fully prepare leather(this could also work with the ideas to have scraped hide be the 'pre-metal leather'), but could be used for things like brewing alcohol, soaking hide in limewater, making a smaller explosive, etc

Your logic, while not completely incorrect, is a little skewed. A water skin is lighter, but also considerably smaller, than what I imagine the clay pots to be modeled after. So it's not a matter of holding more water as it is carrying more skins. Historically the clay pots that women would go fill was a once a day occurrence and typically covered every possible use of water that a family would need it for, barring perhaps bathing. Whereas most water skins I've seen /might/ carry drinking water for two, maybe. More than likely a single skin was drinking water for a persons needs for a couple of days, so yes they would probably need to carry several in order to make it from one water source to another.

I might be mistaken but a water jug should fit around 1 gallon, no more than that.

A waterskin usually fits around half  a gallon or two litters.

The difference is that the waterskin was made to be portable, to be carrie around while traveling or exploring.

The clay jug was made to be used in the house.

I have actually seen it used in primitive cultures on third world countries.

People would Carrie water from the well and fill big Clay vessels every day. Water from them would be used to fill the jugs.

those would be kept by a window to cool off.

The jug goes to the table to fill cups and mugs.

That's how I saw it being used in communities without piped water.

Granted people would use metal canteens for horse traveling, not waterskins. 

I might be mistaken but a water jug should fit around 1 gallon, no more than that.

A waterskin usually fits around half  a gallon or two litters.

The difference is that the waterskin was made to be portable, to be carrie around while traveling or exploring.

The clay jug was made to be used in the house.

I have actually seen it used in primitive cultures on third world countries.

People would Carrie water from the well and fill big Clay vessels every day. Water from them would be used to fill the jugs.

those would be kept by a window to cool off.

The jug goes to the table to fill cups and mugs.

That's how I saw it being used in communities without piped water.

I don't believe there's much warrant in talking about how much water a water jug could carry, because I'm sure that more than one size of jug has been made. Generally speaking though, I do think that a water jug would have more than enough water to last a few days. Waterskins on the other hand of course can have varying sizes as well, but are, as you are getting at here(it seems) smaller than a clay jug. It would make more sense for the go-to traveling water container to be several waterskins or something like that.

Also Djakuta, do you have to separate your sentences like that? Paragraphs are much nicer to read, like so:

I might be mistaken but a water jug should fit around 1 gallon, no more than that. A waterskin, however, usually fits around half a gallon or two litters. The difference is that the waterskin was made to be portable, to be carried around while traveling or exploring. The clay jug, on the other hand, was made to be used in the house. I have actually seen it used in primitive cultures in third world countries, and they would carry water from the well and fill big clay vessels every day. Water from these would then be used to fill the jugs, which then would be kept by a window to cool off. The jug goes to the table to fill cups and mugs. That's how I saw it being used in communities without piped water.

I even fixed some grammatical errors there, too. I would like to also input that it wouldn't make much sense to cool a jug of water in the window, but rather keep in it the coolest, shadiest spot in the home. The sunlight itself would actually heat the water. As for metal canteens, that would be assuming said peoples had access to the proper mechanics to form metal canteens. Waterskins are 'easier' to craft(that being, you don't need to forge metal. Just need leathers and so on. I'm not going to pretend that I know the proper process of actually making one though!)

@Allen. I use the terms pot and jug synonymously as there is practically no difference to the term.

@Dj. The jugs I recall seeing were probably closer to 3 to 4 gallon containers, though it is completely possible I am recalling the 'at home' ones. I am a fairly large dude and occasionally have a hard time putting weight and work into the perspective of smaller people. Half a gallon for some reason seems a bit on the large size to me at the moment, but I am admittedly having spacial cognitive issues at the moment. Remember the bladder of a waterskin was typically in fact made from an animals bladder occasionally stomachs were used as well, something I would be more inclined at the moment to believe the half-gallon contents equivalent.

EDIT: "I would like to also input that it wouldn't make much sense to cool a jug of water in the window, but rather keep in it the coolest, shadiest spot in the home. The sunlight itself would actually heat the water."

That actually depends on climate, in dry windy areas near a window or a breeze way would totally be the best method of cooling the water down, yes direct sun is an issue, but for the most part the idea of a curtain or blind was a pop out solution so as to allow the breeze in, but keep direct sun out. Not so effective in more humid environs.

Thanks for the corrections jhampster. I can read and write in 3 languages, but i always hated language arts. I have a hard time creating complex sentences and essays are a nightmare for me. I actually learned English by watching TV and have never been in a classroom in america where i live. I love reading. and have a degree in computer sciences. I have also worked as a meddle school math and history teacher. Any and all help in correcting grammar errors are appreciated.

As for the clay jug on the window, they were not left on the sun, just on a windy place. Clay jugs if not specifically treated are not 100% water prof. So water will sip through the pores of the jug. As those droplets of water sip they are evaporated and help cool down the water inside.

There is actually a system were a smaller clay vessel is fitted inside a bigger one containing water and sand and it can cool down the smaller one by as much as 10 Centigrade. 

For the metal canteens, I am talking about 40 years ago in rural places in south america. So even though people had no piped water they were able to go to a general store and buy a metal canteen. They were popularized by soldiers in the several conflicts. Too this day there are still remote places in the Amazons or the Pantanal where people live without  piped water. But believe me no one is going to carry around a clay jug. They will use a metal canteen if they have access to a general store, and if they are isolated Indians they will use waterskins.  

Too this day there are still remote places in the Amazons or the Pantanal where people live without  piped water. But believe me no one is going to carry around a clay jug. They will use a metal canteen if they have access to a general store, and if they are isolated Indians they will use waterskins.  

Clay water filters are actually a cultural accessory in Brazil. I myself have one in my kitchen, despite living on a big capital city with access to pipe water. On smaller cities and isolated regions, it's an indispensable tool.About the amount of water that goes on jugs and waterskin, I don't think It should be much. There's the barrel for that. We have to keep game balance in mind and TFC has a quite chanlenging proposal. I think if you want plenty access to fresh water, you have to live by a river. The waterskin is a suggestion to easy travelling by not forcing you to collect clay, thatch and logs because your jug broke and you're far away of your home. And because, I think, it fits well in the general feeling of TFC as an artistic depiction of early human technologic development.