Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Natesky9

Punkin's an Watarmeloans

13 posts in this topic

PUN'KINS!!
WATARMELOANS!!

Everyone knows these classic crops from vanilla. Both of them are a semi-rare crop, as it takes much exploring to find them.
Pumpkins still exist in Terrafirmacraft, however, they don't serve any purpose, except for a breeding exploit. Watermelons actually don't exist at all, since they only generate in structures like mineshafts.

So, what do we do about them?

As you may have known, gourds were a food staple of many places, so it makes sense to make them a crop, however they could be improved from their 3foot- giants that are in vanilla. Man, those things are huge.

Miniature pumpkins!
Since pumpkins already spawn naturally in the world, it would be a small change to include them into the food group. But instead of the gigantic ones from vanilla, these new pumpkins would be varying sizes, from 43 to 103 pixels wide. That's about the size of a players head, on average.

Miniature watermelons!

These would be identical to their vanilla counterparts, except like the melons, their size would be tweaked to fit the actual size. However, instead of being just square, these can take on a more rectangular shape

For comparison, this is the best image I could find of the relative size of the new pumpkins and melons

http://i.imgur.com/hlXSB2a.jpg

Why the change?

In order to fit the theme of Terrafirmacraft, the pumpkins and melons would be better implemented as a realistic size. Plus it creates a unique type of crop instead of the standard wheat/carrot/potato that every Terrafirmacraft crop is based off of. Maybe if this is considered, we might see more unique crops in the future.

What about the pumpkins/melons?

The harvested pumpkins or melons would follow the same rule as every other crop, following "vanilla" Terrafirmacraft mechanics, but also behaving like Vanilla minecraft, growing in the space adjacent to the stem. Oh, and the stem on the pumpkin would connect with the stem of the plant. And since they take up less than a block, they can be random about their positioning within the block.

There are alot more things, but tell me what you think of this, if it should be considered, and what could be improved on it.

I'd make the stem and actual watermelon/pumpkin part of the same block. No reason to take up all that space if they're smaller.Maybe they could eventually reach the huge natural size if left alone for too long, consume the stem and become inedible, but be craftble into seeds like in Vanilla?

They'd be a type of fruit crop, I guess. You could just have them be edible, but be a one-time foraging resource. After a while, like trees and wild vegetables, they'd reappear, but you wouldn't be able to cultivate them/get seeds. That would be a lot easier to implement.

I'd make the stem and actual watermelon/pumpkin part of the same block. No reason to take up all that space if they're smaller. 

There's a reason I emphasized keeping the vanilla mechanic. For one, besides the primary, and most important reason of "because they can", the fact that pumpkins are already in the game means that there doesn't have to be another crop added into the game. Terrafirmacraft adds about 17-ish new crops, why make a redundant one that already exists? 

Two, the BIGGEST reason I'm suggesting this is because its a small change that would take the least amount of effort. Why make something more difficult, if you don't have to? The purpose of this suggestion was to include the vanilla crops into the TFC method of agriculture, and give them unique properties. Making them just another clone of carrots would make them nothing more than.... well.... a clone of carrots...And lastly, because it's cool. I mean, cmon. Tiny pumpkins? Havn't you ever thought meter-wide pumpkins were a bit silly?

They'd be a type of fruit crop, I guess. You could just have them be edible, but be a one-time foraging resource. After a while, like trees and wild vegetables, they'd reappear, but you wouldn't be able to cultivate them/get seeds. That would be a lot easier to implement.

You forget that crops in Terrafirmacraft spawn in the world as the actual, grown crop, and not just a placeholder. What's not to say that pumpkins can't simply grow off of stems in the wild? Besides, you can already find pumpkins, craft the seeds, and totally grow them like normal. They just don't do anything currently

You forget that crops in Terrafirmacraft spawn in the world as the actual, grown crop, and not just a placeholder. What's not to say that pumpkins can't simply grow off of stems in the wild? Besides, you can already find pumpkins, craft the seeds, and totally grow them like normal. They just don't do anything currently

No you can't actually. Vanilla pumpkin seeds will not plant in TFC tilled soil because TFC's farmland is completely different from vanilla. It would actually be a lot less effort for us to make a TFC specific crop for pumpkins than it would be to try and alter the vanilla one.

As I said, why make a crop? Just make it so that you receive pumpkin or watermelon slices , a TFC food, when you break the naturally spawning pumpkins and melons. you'd just have to change the biomes that watermelons are allowed to spawn in to TFC ones, once we move to 1.7 (that *is* the one with watermelons in jungles, right?)

No you can't actually. Vanilla pumpkin seeds will not plant in TFC tilled soil because TFC's farmland is completely different from vanilla. It would actually be a lot less effort for us to make a TFC specific crop for pumpkins than it would be to try and alter the vanilla one.

I've wondered why pumpkins/melons were made redundant and worst, left in the game with absolutely no believable purpose or function. Anyways are there plans for future integration and along the route as suggested (Natesky9 and Pyr0mrcow)?

Pumpkins, watermelons and mushrooms were actually all planned to be edible for B78, but the #DunkCode was just such a mess that it got scrapped and we're back at square one.

It can't be worse than Notch's.

>.>

The prime example of just how bad #DunkCode can be:

77.20 changelog: "Fixed deer so they are no longer shearable animals that mate with chickens to produce cows."

That was my fix of the existing #DunkCode.

>.>

77.20 changelog: "Fixed deer so they are no longer shearable animals that mate with chickens to produce cows."

lol...now thats something

>.>

But does each of his animal classes have method along the lines of getBearSize()? Because that's exactly what MC code has on several occasions.