Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
DrCataclysm

[Solved][79.6] Sequoia trees not appearing in the wild, nor are saplings growing

13 posts in this topic

Version #:  0.79.6SSP/SMP (Single/MultiPlayer): Only tested in single playerSuggested Name: Sequoia saplings don't grow; or appear in the wildSuggested Category: MinorDescription: Sequoia saplings don't seem to grow at all. I further tested using the /time add command which makes saplings' grow time significantly faster

I also can't seem to find Sequoias in the wildHave you deleted your config files and are still able to reproduce this bug?: YesDo you have any mods other than Forge and TFC installed?: No

How did you get these saplings? They are not supposed to drop at all unless a new change was recently made.

I was planning on customizing a region to play in - and hence was using creative a bit to do that.

I think sequoia saplings spawn in sequioa forests sometimes, but they might only grow there, you probably cant spawn them and get them to grow

They used to spawn occasionally in the world also. I don't know if they still do.

The saplings would indeed grow in previous versions, I tested in b78 and the sequoia saplings grew.

Well for one, /time add does nothing to make saplings grow faster, other than the initial bypassing of the average 10 day planted requirement. After that point, /time add does nothing.

Saplings also need sufficient space in order to grow. For sequoias, that means a fairly large, flat area.

@Terex Sequoia saplings do not drop from breaking the leaves, but they will randomly appear on top of grass blocks in an area that already has natrually generated sequoia trees, in a similar manner to how tall grass regrows.

Well for one, /time add does nothing to make saplings grow faster, other than the initial bypassing of the average 10 day planted requirement. After that point, /time add does nothing.

I'm very aware of the limitations of the /time add command and the other tree growth requirements, which is why I did the following experiment.

The test I did was in a very, very flat area. I cleared out any tall grass, rocks, and sticks, and planted several of various saplings. Assuming no changes from the previous update and that http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Sapling remains accurate, I did /time add 480000 which is the equivalent of 20 days. After leaving minecraft idle for around 30 minutes, several or all of every sapling type had grown, EXCEPT Sequoia. I performed the same test in b78, except Sequoia saplings had sprouted within 5-10 minutes, and a longer time was not even required. I'm not saying something's wrong, but I've done thorough experiments to eliminate variables and these are the results I've obtained.

I'm also not finding any sequoia trees in the wilderness, despite after creating ~40 new worlds to test this part, and flying to various latitudes on both + and - Z. Maybe, in this case, I'm just being unlucky, but it didn't seem nearly as difficult to find sequoia trees in b78

So the method that saplings use to generate is actually the same method that is used for the debug command of spawning in trees. Something is weird with the parameters for sequoias in that they are extra picky, but they do still work. Just run around in a world and use the command 

/gen tree sequoiaor/gen tree sequoia big

while you are in debugmode. If it generates the tree, then a sapling that was placed where you are standing could grow into a tree as well. I'd strongly suggest being in creative mode when you use the command, or else you will suffocate to death because the tree generates in the block you are standing.

The tests you do in 78 are irrelevant, because sequoia trees didn't have the "do I have enough space" requirement to grow that they have in 79, so you would very rarely get the "Generation Failed" message when using the command.

So, after using /debugmode and /debug start, and then attempting the /gen commands you gave, the game output logged this:

Posted Image

After thinking the area I was attempting it in wasn't open enough, I used MCEdit to create a huge area (made of terrafirmacraft grass and dirt, of course), as pictured here:

http://i.imgur.com/1NukzEV.jpg

and encountered the same results.

If this works for you, could it be something on my end that might be out of the ordinary?

Ok, so the /debug start is a vanilla command that doesn't have anything to do with TFC, and frankly I've never heard of it until now. I tried using it myself, and that spamming of your console is simply stating that ticks aren't happening at 20 ticks per second.

What was important was just use the TFC debugmode, so that you can use the /gen tree command, and then seeing that it says Generation Failed.

Anyways, I'm running through the generation code right now step by step, and I think I may have found the culprit. I'll get back to you on if I figured it out or not.

the /debug start is a vanilla command that doesn't have anything to do with TFC, and frankly I've never heard of it until now

lmao, I've never heard of it either until I stumbled across it just now! I just started typing /deb and used tab for autocomplete and saw that as well. I wondered what it was... :P

In any case, that console spamming doesn't actually start until after I've attempted the /gen command, and I've never seen that particular error message in my launcher log before, which is why I thought it might be related.

I'll wait for your response and mark this topic solved as necessary.

Ok, this should hopefully be fixed for .7

The problem was that in 1.6.4, you could use == null to refer to air blocks. That doesn't work anymore in 1.7.10