Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Hubertus

[Solved] Food storage

22 posts in this topic

I'm not making a bug report! Won't the developers be relieved :D

So, I spawned in a crappy starting location. Basalt everywhere, impossible to get flux, or make bronze. I went on a 10k block expedition to find a material to make bronze (which ultimately failed, as I couldn't find silver, or tin, or zinc), and when I came back it was late fall, and my farm took some hits. I harvested everything and managed to store most of it in ceramic vessels. I was wondering if there are any better storage methods that will prevent me from having to unload 20 ceramic vessels every day to cut out the decay. I know I can salt my meat, but unfortunately I haven't found any salt.

The two primary food preservation methods in 78 that still work in 79 are:

• Storing in a Vessel (50%) Decay
  • Storing in complete darkness
  • Darker areas are colder than lit ones, and colder food decays slower.

New food preservation methods in 79 include:

• Cooking (75% Decay)
    • Pickled or Salted (75% Decay)
    • Smoked (75% Decay or More)
  • Raw (100% Decay)
    • Pickled or Salted (50% Decay)
    • Smoking (75% Decay or More
    • Drying (25% Decay)

Example 1: Start with a raw porkchop. Salt it, smoke it, cook it, and then place it in a vessel. This results in (0.75)*(0.75)*(0.75)*(0.5) = 0.21, meaning that the porkchop will decay at 21% the rate compared to the original raw piece.

Example 2: Start with a "raw" head of cabbage. Pickle it, and then place it in a vessel. This results in (1.0)*(0.5)*(0.5) = 0.25, meaning that the cabbage will decay at 25% the rate compared to the original "raw" piece.

This is one thing that I have been wondering about since I read the change log, why would you need to brine something in order to smoke it?

This is one thing that I have been wondering about since I read the change log, why would you need to brine something in order to smoke it?

Because that's standard practice for smoking anything. You brine it first to help remove some of the moisture, and then the smoking/drying removes the rest.

Try brining your thanksgiving turkey sometime, makes all the difference. :)

I read about the darkness on the wiki, so I made myself a little larder in my backyard. Oddly enough, the temperature is lower on the surface, standing on top of the ladder, than in pitch darkness down below. I don't suppose it's possible to get ice blocks, and then put those down there to decrease the tempeature even more, huh? Maybe something for the suggestion forum.

Thanks for the pickling idea, I hadn't thought of that. I've just made a bunch of barrels, so it's the perfect time to try it out.

I read about the darkness on the wiki, so I made myself a little larder in my backyard. Oddly enough, the temperature is lower on the surface, standing on top of the ladder, than in pitch darkness down below. I don't suppose it's possible to get ice blocks, and then put those down there to decrease the tempeature even more, huh? Maybe something for the suggestion forum.

Thanks for the pickling idea, I hadn't thought of that. I've just made a bunch of barrels, so it's the perfect time to try it out.

Temperature decreases as altitude increase from sea-level up.

Ice has already been suggested before, and it's on the list of "Neat idea. Possibly will be added when the devs get bored and can't think of anything else to add. But don't expect to see it anytime soon."

Basically, ice probably won't play a role in anything until the body temperature mechanic is fleshed out.

I meant that the temparature at the top of the ladder is a half degree less than the blocks beside it.

Oh. Because ladders are weird and decrease light level or something. The calculations for light levels and the temperature are a bit wonky with transparent blocks.

Try brining your thanksgiving turkey sometime, makes all the difference. :)

Ok I will give you that, I do know with poultry its great. I guess I was just thinking about beef, with that I prefer not to alter it at all before smoking ;)

You know, I think I'll move my long term storage to the top of the mountain beside me. My larder is only half a degree cooler during the winter (no sunlight vs. decrease in height). But the mountain top is 5 degrees lower. Sure, it's a bit of a walk, but the winter is long, and half of my farm was ravaged by frost.

Example 1: Start with a raw porkchop. Salt it, smoke it, cook it, and then place it in a vessel. This results in (0.75)*(0.75)*(0.75)*(0.5) = 0.21, meaning that the porkchop will decay at 21% the rate compared to the original raw piece.

Ive found something that may contradict this.

When I smoke my meat it appears to apply the dried effect as well, according to the tool tips

So would this mean that salting, smoking and placing a porkchop in a vessel would apply the dried effect too?

(.5)*(.75)*(.5)*(.25)=0.047

I've also noticed that when cooking it removes both the smoked and dried from the tool tips

what if I cooked it before. salted, smoked, dried, cooked, vessel. (smoked and dried removed from cooking)

(.75)*(.75)*(.25)*(.75)*(.5)=0.28

Ive found something that may contradict this.

When I smoke my meat it appears to apply the dried effect as well, according to the tool tips

So would this mean that salting, smoking and placing a porkchop in a vessel would apply the dried effect too?

(.5)*(.75)*(.5)*(.25)=0.047

I've also noticed that when cooking it removes both the smoked and dried from the tool tips

what if I cooked it before. salted, smoked, dried, cooked, vessel. (smoked and dried removed from cooking)

(.75)*(.75)*(.25)*(.75)*(.5)=0.28

I forgot that smoking and drying are tied together, so yes you would get the dried effect too.

Cooking removes the dried decay modifier, but it does not remove the smoked modifier. It only removes the "Smoked" text to keep the item name from getting ridiculously long.

alrighty then, just wanted to make sure.

The two primary food preservation methods in 78 that still work in 79 are:

• Storing in a Vessel (50%) Decay

[…]

Does “Vessel” also mean Clay Large Vessel?

Does “Vessel” also mean wooden Barrel?

Do they have to be sealed for effective decay reduction?

Is there double decay reduction for storing food in Ceramic Vessel that is stored inside Large Vessel or wooden Barrel?

From what ive seen large vessels are broken for decay the food doesnt decay while its in there but evaporates when you take it out. I dont think barrels do anything for decay not 100% on that though. But if there is vinegar in the barrel and you pickel your food by leaving it in that barrel then its suppose to give good decay reduction.

Does “Vessel” also mean Clay Large Vessel?

Does “Vessel” also mean wooden Barrel?

Do they have to be sealed for effective decay reduction?

Is there double decay reduction for storing food in Ceramic Vessel that is stored inside Large Vessel or wooden Barrel? 

Vessel means the small ceramic vessel that has 4 slots. That is the only storage item that has a decay modifier.

From what ive seen large vessels are broken for decay the food doesnt decay while its in there but evaporates when you take it out. I dont think barrels do anything for decay not 100% on that though. But if there is vinegar in the barrel and you pickel your food by leaving it in that barrel then its suppose to give good decay reduction.

It's not that the food evaporates when you take it out, it's that the food catches up for all the decay that it missed while it was in the vessel. This has already been fixed in 79.7, so please update your game.

Barrels and Large vessels do absolutely nothing for decay, unless like you stated the barrel is full of vinegar, and you seal a pickled item inside.

I have heard a few people say in videos that placing food containers down under ground will lessen the decay rate. I read here that higher elevation decreases temperature and therefore decreases decay rate.

So it would seem counter productive to put the containers under ground. I have been pondering just how far underground it would have to be but I guess it shouldn't be underground at all.

From the Food Page of the wiki. "The rate at which a piece of food decays is dependent on the item, as well as the ambient temperature. Light levels affect temperature, so the best place to store food is in a cool, dark place." It isn't the underground bit that is important, it is the dark bit.

As for altitude and temperature. From Altitude Page of wiki. "Above sea-level, Ambient Temperature will start to drop, getting lower the higher the altitude. With this mechanic, snow capped mountains can generate almost anywhere in the world as long as they climb high enough. The higher the altitude, the faster the temperature will decrease. Temperature decreases at around 0.1ºC at sea level, while decreasing as quickly as half a degree near the height limit. Food storage rooms may be built in mountain tops, since they're much colder; and food won't decay as fast." So altitude does not influence temperature as you go down below sea level only above.

Also, don't put your vessels close to fire sources, like Kilns and Firepits.

Also, don't put your vessels close to fire sources, like Kilns and Firepits.

Those blocks only affect the "apparent temp" value, which has to do with the eventual body temperature system. Food doesn't care about apparent temp, it only cares about temp, which does not change next to kilns or firepits.

I've noticed temp decreases under water, would a hole below an ocean work to store food?

That will likely be due to the reduced light levels underwater. It would be better and more convenient to store it in a dark hole on dry land.