Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kittychanley

Torch Poll

Torch Extinguishing   291 members have voted

1. 1. After playing with the new torch mechanic, what is your opinion?

• I like the mechanic, and I even changed the config files to make it harder.
    • I like the mechanic, and am using the default config values.
    • I like the mechanic, but changed the config files to make it a bit easier.
    • I dislike the mechanic, and am using the default config values.
    • I dislike the mechanic, and changed the config files to turn it off completely.
    • I turned the mechanic off in the config files without even trying it first.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

114 posts in this topic

Considering that more permanent light sources are already worked on, I do not understand the concept of dwelling on this particular topic for any amounts of time, really. It is how it is, I think we all know it is not perfect, but on the other hand what is?

In my personal experience (I play only single player, I believe that's a gamechanger ;)) I find this change more of a nuisance than real problem. Relighting torches may feel tedious at times, but considering I don't use much of them and spawn protection system, it's not that bad. 

And mining is SO much more interesting now :D

--SNIP--

To be honest I love the feature, touches should be temporary. What makes it terrible is pumpkins. The features feels perfect in a world where more sustainable light sources exist. But the fact that sustainable light means pumpkins makes the whole thing feel wrong. I understand that in reality this is half of a larger change to lighting. But until that arrives in full, torches extinguishing really only means I now feature pumpkin art throughout my living spaces.

There is a nice little add-on that adds the permanent light source you desire. At this point things are just being rehashed. Until something is added to tfc r here is config to undo changes to torches and there is add-on that adds lanterns.

The point is not whether there are permanent light sources or not, it's what light means in MC and that that makes little sense in TFC.

LIttle light  equals  weird monsters appearing. It's just off.

From an atmospheric gameplay point of view, i love lighting, shady basement, bright living room. But when shady means my whole basement can be destroyed by a living bomb spawning in it while i am just a few chunks away, i get a pretty nasty GTFO feeling.

The point is not whether there are permanent light sources or not, it's what light means in MC and that that makes little sense in TFC.

LIttle light  equals  weird monsters appearing. It's just off.

From an atmospheric gameplay point of view, i love lighting, shady basement, bright living room. But when shady means my whole basement can be destroyed by a living bomb spawning in it while i am just a few chunks away, i get a pretty nasty GTFO feeling.

Are you familiar at all with the spawn protection system that TFC implemented? You can have your shady basement with no worries at all of monsters spawning as long as you don't abandon your home for long periods of time.

Edit: Since the problem you have is with mob spawning, and not the actual lighting, have you considered changing the configs for how spawn protection is applied so that they spawn less often in areas you visit?

@Kitty, I play on peaceful, so no need for the spawn protection.

But i like to place torches here and there, look and feel. I would like to have a system that makes torches go out whenever i wasnt near them for some time, but all those in and around the house should (like the spawn protection) auto-relight.

I really love this mechanic, but what I don't love is the lack of permanet lighting options. If there was something else in the world that was permanent such as glowstone, or lamps I would love this addition so much more. Right now it keeps me from making an area free of mobs. My farm always has mobs inside it, and that is really annoying. It makes the night something you have to sleep through.

I want this to stay in the game, but I really like having some sort of permanent lighting. I would be just fine with an oil lamp that went out every 3 ingame months or something like that, and you just have to refil it or relight it. That would be awesome. Just somthing a little longer lasting.

Have you seen the Lanterns addon? it works really great. take a look Here

Have you seen the Lanterns addon? it works really great. take a look Here

Perfect!

I'll be re-enabling torch burnout because of this. Thank you.

It wasn't so combersome up until later copper age, but by that point the extent of daily base operations far expanded past the spawn protection, and the chore of lighting 3 dozen torches every couple days just became stupid.

The feature is cool overall, but the question asked in the poll really needs to take into account that the mechanic is only usable with a more permanent light source available. I'm guessing if you turned off glowing pumpkins today, tomorrow 95% of your "i like this!" votes would turn into "are you serious right now?"

After reading the whole thread, I assume that some quarter of the playerbase doesn't even have spawn protection on their base... That's weird. Aren't y'all supposed to work out those metal or tending your livestock that is somewhere near your base?

And, Kitty, can you add the whole changes that people usually miss like the ability to relight torches or rapid-production of torches using right click to the OP?

And, Kitty, can you add the whole changes that people usually miss like the ability to relight torches or rapid-production of torches using right click to the OP?

Updated the OP, let me know if I missed anything.

I like the new torch mechanic, it adds to believability IMO.  

At the moment, I am using pumpkins but I find it a bit cheaty so I am considering the lantern add-on.   I also like the idea brought up by NikkyD of proximity to player relighting the torches... but not automatically.  I think that when you have a flint & steel in your hotbar, then the torches relit as you move close by.  

I like the idea but the current time torches last is too short imo. Like someone already said it would be better if they randomly burned out after 4-5 days. That is considering we won't officially get a more permanent lighting source. If we do get it however and if the cost is not too expensive, the 2 day burnout time would be fine.

Currently I think it's way too tedious. I primarily use torches for decoration and to actually see stuff in the dark and in interiors. When your town gets big enough you can basically spend a whole day liggting up torches.

And about pumpkins, I don't really find it appealing or belieavable that pumpkins should be used as a primary source of artificial light, and you're basically forced to use them that way sooner or later. They make good scarecrow heads for lighting up a farm though :P

You can adjust burn time in the configs or turn this feature off completely. As has been stated many many times. Or there is the Decorations addon that includes alcohol fueled permanent lighting.