Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Kittychanley

Torch Poll

Torch Extinguishing   291 members have voted

1. 1. After playing with the new torch mechanic, what is your opinion?

• I like the mechanic, and I even changed the config files to make it harder.
    • I like the mechanic, and am using the default config values.
    • I like the mechanic, but changed the config files to make it a bit easier.
    • I dislike the mechanic, and am using the default config values.
    • I dislike the mechanic, and changed the config files to turn it off completely.
    • I turned the mechanic off in the config files without even trying it first.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

114 posts in this topic

---

i wonder at what point too many chiseled blocks will crash people out.

I avoid detail mode like the plague, shouldn't be a problem. 

I didn't thoroughly read through this entire topic, so if this idea has already been discussed, I do apologies. I enjoy the new feature of torches burning out, but I do see the need for some sort of alternative light source as well as many others have expressed. Along with some sort of longer burning lamp, would it not be possible to have some kinda of dynamic lighting, AKA a torch in hand projecting light as you walk? I've definitely seen this done before, though I'm not sure if there is some sort of restrictions in TFC that wouldn't allow for it.

I kinda get the feeling that a lot of people are ok with the torch changes because the jack-o-lanterns exist. Based on player actions we really need a real permanent light source. Base aesthetics are at an all time low. Extrafirma save us!. Carpenters torches are cool too but people are less willing to use the mod.

I kinda get the feeling that a lot of people are ok with the torch changes because the jack-o-lanterns exist. Based on player actions we really need a real permanent light source. Base aesthetics are at an all time. Extrafirma save us!. Carpenters torches are cool too but people are less willing to use the mod.

Yesterday my server voted to just go to peaceful mode after we got settled, partially because of torch changes, but mostly because dealing with monsters overall just turned into a harmless, but pointless and time consuming nuisance.

Yesterday my server voted to just go to peaceful mode after we got settled, partially because of torch changes, but mostly because dealing with monsters overall just turned into a harmless, but pointless and time consuming nuisance.

Is it possible to change to peaceful in the middle of a game? Sorry for the silly question, but I have never thought about that before.

Is it possible to change to peaceful in the middle of a game? Sorry for the silly question, but I have never thought about that before.

Yeah, once we had a nice little town going the admin just:

difficulty 0

in the server console. (op with sufficient permission can do the same)

It was fun having monsters in the beginning, before we had walls and good equipment.

I like the change but I really want some oil lamps to light my town up. It's not about protection it's about aesthetic. If I can a blast furnace and breed cows I can sure as hell make an oil lamp and keep it fueled.

I like this mechanic a lot. It's one of the things that got me to start out with the mod yesterday. I didn't like the 2 days bit, especially when they can be relit, so I've shortened it to 12 hours; long enough for the torches to last the night, but not long enough to last until the next night. :)

I like this feature but it would be nice if lit torches in your inventory would also burn out, but I'm not really sure if thats possible. Also would be nice if we could pick up unlit torches instead of just having them disappear when broken. Using steel & flint or a firestar to relight them would also be a plus.

I like this feature but it would be nice if lit torches in your inventory would also burn out, but I'm not really sure if thats possible. Also would be nice if we could pick up unlit torches instead of just having them disappear when broken. Using steel & flint or a firestar to relight them would also be a plus.

Light them with a torch in your hand..

Within the strict constraints of the poll I have to say I dislike the mechanic as it stands.

I like the intent and the execution however it impacts too heavily on the aesthetics of the game and I will likely disable it soon. Until viable options for long term or permanent lighting are available that don't involve cludgy solutions like Jack O Lanterns and lava in the late game. I really like the concept of coming back to a mine or cave that has reverted to darkness but it is completely negated by the imposition I feel it places on my creativity and the enjoyment I get from my builds.

That feeling I get when I see the winkling lights appear to welcome me home after a long and dangerously journey, is just as important as as the realism and game play improvements the burnout mechanic is designed for.

Light them with a torch in your hand..

I already know about this, but the mechanic seems glitched if I have to first light the torch before I pick it up otherwise it'll disappear when broken. Maybe a stick should drop instead....

After several days of play in 0.79, I am forced to admit that, I do not use the torches to illuminate.

I'm not very far into the game yet, but I don't think I will be bothered by torches that go out. If anything, I think it will be more interesting and add to the ambiance.

My only fear is having a creeper wait for me in my house, mostly for the damage it can cause. That and having skeletons camp outside my house all day under a tree.

I might make a temporary floor out of thatch in my house to prevent mob spawning.

I love the mechanic, but I would like different lightsources so I can make something more/less lasting.

Tedious tasks are supposed to get easier as you progress, but this mechanic gets harder; at the start it is no big deal to relight 3 torches but once you have lots you need to devote all your time to lighting them. 

Perhaps increase the time that they stay lit each time you light them? Doesn't really make physical sense but would play a lot better.

I read through most of this and I actually have two simple minor changes that I feel will likely make the torch burnout more viable and enjoyable for everyone.

Rather than clicking a torch on the wall to light it again, why not have it so if the player is within say, 1 or 2 blocks from an unlit torch with a torch in hand, it will automatically light the torch on the wall. This would make it so that the core concept of torch burnout is preserved, while making it a bit less tedious aiming and clicking every torch.

I also see a lot of people dislike relighting torches in their house. An easy fix for this is that torches that are in an area where there is currently spawn protection shouldn't burn out. This will make it so that when you are working around your house, you don't have to play the tedious "relight the torches" mini-game every so often. It will also give a sense of occupancy or activity to where players currently are working/residing. The concept of not being able to use torches as a free no-spawn zone will also be preserved since the area already has spawn protection anyhow, and the torches will burn out once spawn protection no longer exists in the area if or when the player leaves.

As an aside, some players have mentioned that they dislike the lack of a permanent lightsource. Indeed there is a warm and fuzzy feeling of returning from a long journey and seeing your house lit up in the distance. It's inviting. It says you're home. You're safe. However, I recently had a different experience in TerraFirmaCraft that I'm sure others may have had as well that I'd like to briefly share.

After being gone for more than a month of in-game time, we returned to our house and it felt a bit dangerous. A functional home ready to be used, sure, but perhaps some monsters had taken up residence while we were gone for so long? Indeed this was the case, and we had to reclaim our house from the wild and secure it for ourselves.

I rather enjoyed that experience, and I think it should be the norm. Nothing is permanent, and if you leave an area unoccupied for too long, it will be returned to the wild. That's how it should be. It makes the game feel more realistic and alive. If you're on a multiplayer server then perhaps that warm and fuzzy may still be possible if you return to have other players invite you back to a well lit shared home or town.

I'm sure that it's already being planned as such, but as standard boilerplate I will also say that I am in favor of a longer lasting, but not permanent, lightsource. Also, the jackolanterns are silly.

I agree with you on all points.

If automatic torch lighting is not possible, maybe give the held torch an effect on left click to light torches in a 3x3 zone or something. This could reduce the need to light torches with pinpoint accuracy.

Alright, after one ingame year of playing, I finally came to the point where I disabled the burning out torches, especially because I am building a proper home now which is spread out much further than the base I used until now.

Most reasons have been mentioned here several times already, some being the tedium of relighting, the lack of having a welcoming home - a light in the dark, the aesthetical pleasure of a lit home, but the one reason that bugged me most, the one that made the top tip for me to make this decision, was this annoying bug that made burnt out torches still emit light!

What is the purpose of burning out torches, if there is still light?! That really disturbs my immersion in the game, much more than ever burning torches do, so I'm done with it for now.

I wonder how many people who said that they like the mechanic play only single player.

On a server this really sucks. Unless there is someone on the server abou every 4 hours, the torches all go out, ad spawn protection decays...

I'd be for this 100% if there was a longer term solution available. It doesn't have to be permanent, but some sort of lantern that would last like an in game week would be so much better than nothing.

I wonder how many people who said that they like the mechanic play only single player.

I would be one of them.  Also now that I have some time logged in my game I am using a mix;  Torches in none vital areas and pumpkins and/or lanterns in areas where I really don't want a creeper sneaking up on me.

I wanted to write something on this topic for some time but didnt really bother, but as the topic still seems active i just want to give my cents.

I play single-player + peaceful for some reasons, one is the fact of lighting and how it works in TFC.

I may not build the most artistic/beautiful contructs but i play for a certain personal RPG feeling. My house looks a bit like a real house, with tiny sheeds on the side and the furnace in the backyard etc. Everything on very small space even if i had all the space in the world but i want to be somewhat realistic. I do like the fact that light behaves realisticly... but that stands in major contrast to the game mechanics of MC.

The fact that "monsters" pop up out of nowhere just because a certain light level has been reached is simply moronic. That would be fine in caves or swamps, stuff where i would expect monsters to be (in a fantasy world) but if i just do some smithing in the backyard and it gets dark... i dont want to run inside because a creeper could destroy hours of work (real life hours). What the hell is this ? A creeper... skeletons with arrows... the zombie apocalypse would be fine IF there were actual living people around who would have been turn into zombies! But mobs out of the void, gimme a break.

Now if i was playing on a server and there was no peaceful, i had to light every goddamn block of my house and make sure that light level really is above 7 otherwise in the middle of a somewhat lit room an exploding creature could appear. To ensure the safety of my homestead i would have to spam torches like on a christmas tree... looks like a joke but hey. So i already destroy the esthetics of the house, now the lights don't even work for longer that 2 days. So i spammed the house with lights and have to "respam" every two ingame days. Ok ok, i just have to select a torch and click every non-lit torch...

WHY ? If you want to be realistic, it wouldnt be like that. If you want to harass the player, just let 100 endermen spawn and let them pick up every block! if you simply want to occupy the player, make a minigame that makes creating torches as annoying as forging red steel.

I dont see how it adds to the gameplay. It is an unnecessary chore that accumulates with an already unfitting mob spawning system. Do that and please underline words like "believeable" and "immersion" and you made a class A fool out of yourself. No offense, it's just my opinion on this topic.

I wanted to write something on this topic for some time but didnt really bother, but as the topic still seems active i just want to give my cents.

I play single-player + peaceful for some reasons, one is the fact of lighting and how it works in TFC.

I may not build the most artistic/beautiful contructs but i play for a certain personal RPG feeling. My house looks a bit like a real house, with tiny sheeds on the side and the furnace in the backyard etc. Everything on very small space even if i had all the space in the world but i want to be somewhat realistic. I do like the fact that light behaves realisticly... ...................................

Do that and please underline words like "believeable" and "immersion" and you made a class A fool out of yourself. No offense, it's just my opinion on this topic.

TFCOptions.cfg:

torchBurnTime 48
This is how many in-game hours torches will last before burning out. Set to 0 for infinitely burning torches.

scary people  = torchBurnTime 0

honestly CouchSurvivor, either you didnt read or u dont want to understand what this thread is about