Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Dask_BR

Mining effective and safe

9 posts in this topic

I'm starting TFC and totally lost due to the large amount of things to do but would like to help in the mining. Whenever I go mine collapses occur quite.

I know there are support beams but with doubts would build a mine so effective and safe

If possible add photo

Thx

Posted Image

Anytime any yellow square is seen chisel it down by 1. Anytime you are standing in a spot to mine on any direction on the XZ plane make sure that you mine up on the Y direction for safety - from testing most of the collapsing rock is pretty close to the height of the player and I have yet to see rock collapse from above me when I've mined as far up the Y direction as possible. Then mine your XZ direction chiseling any yellow rock as it gets exposed.

Support beams are 100% safe as long as you follow the rules, don't dig more than 1 above, 2 below or 4 to any side of a support.

Posted Image

This is my standard way to mine out ores.  If I get a bunch on a particular wall, I'll extend the support into another 4x4x3 cube and dig out what's now held up.  If I need to go down, I'll dig down 5 blocks and do this again.

Support beams are 100% safe as long as you follow the rules, don't dig more than 1 above, 2 below or 4 to any side of a support.

I might be missing something but you say digging one block above these beams is safe. In your picture that would be in to the ceiling, now I've done that and had a cave in from the block above one i was digging. Did I do something wrong or is that just how it works.

I might be missing something but you say digging one block above these beams is safe. In your picture that would be in to the ceiling, now I've done that and had a cave in from the block above one i was digging. Did I do something wrong or is that just how it works.

Think thats just how it works.

From what i understand one above the horizontal beam/the ceeling is safe the next block above that isn't thus it may collapse, but then just that one block/collum will fall and eventually be catched by the beams as long as you don't dig directly above your beams there should be no bigger caveins.

For digging up safely, we gotta do something like this i guess, place the first beam, dig up next to it and place a second one just above the ceeling.

Posted Image

i saw a guy on yt that used to smooth the stones above his head, cause they r not effected by gravitythat way u wont need supports ... this is a bug obviously, it needs to be fixed cause it like cheating this way 

i saw a guy on yt that used to smooth the stones above his head, cause they r not effected by gravitythat way u wont need supports ... this is a bug obviously, it needs to be fixed cause it like cheating this way 

If he was using a chisel on the ceiling to turn it into smooth blocks, then he is probably playing a much older version of TFC, or the ceiling blocks he is smoothing have air pockets above them.

There are already restrictions in place that make it so you cannot easily make the ceiling smooth stone to prevent cave ins, unless you smooth the stone elsewhere, and then place it on the ceiling.

what if i used planks instead of stones? will that prevent cave ins?