Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
ziat007

Bone tools have bone handles

22 posts in this topic

It would be rally nice if bone tools had a bone handlesThis could by quite easily achieved without creating extra textures, or only one texture, The Tool Head.It would be great for immersion, as I am preparing a youtube series where I start as a Ape.This could even be a little game changing, or only cosmetic. Either would be amazing!

post-8584-0-30792100-1413462789.png

That was a thing with stone tools some time ago

That was a thing with stone tools some time ago

Stone tools would be perfect for this!

The recipe to make stone tools using a bone instead of a stick for the handle was never removed. You can still do it.

You have never been able to use bones for a handle on higher tier tools, because it doesn't make much sense.

As for the texture, originally stone tools made with the bone handle did have a different texture, however this was removed to decrease the number of item IDs that TFC uses as well as the massive excess of texture files (TFC already has over 2,000 textures!). Now when you craft a stone tool, you always get the same item, regardless of if you used a stick or a bone to make it.

The recipe to make stone tools using a bone instead of a stick for the handle was never removed. You can still do it.

You have never been able to use bones for a handle on higher tier tools, because it doesn't make much sense.

As for the texture, originally stone tools made with the bone handle did have a different texture, however this was removed to decrease the number of item IDs that TFC uses as well as the massive excess of texture files (TFC already has over 2,000 textures!). Now when you craft a stone tool, you always get the same item, regardless of if you used a stick or a bone to make it.

I completely forgot about stone tools, that was my mistake. I would like this only for stone tools. The stone age is a large part of the game.ID's - This could be handled with metadata in a rather efficient way.Textures - I'm sure these textures could be handled on the fly and cached. (I know the amount of textures, as I am currently trying to complete a resource pack.)Already with the textures that are there this would be possible. I think tinkers construct does this.A wooden or bone club would also be rather nice and simple additions.

They way that tinkers construct handles textures is a really complicated overlay system, that actually isn't that easy to implement.

They way that tinkers construct handles textures is a really complicated overlay system, that actually isn't that easy to implement.

To make this axe I simply removed the stick and overlay-ed the axe head over the bone. The vanilla or Faithful bone is in the correct position for this to work. This could infact even add some interesting mechanics like Tinkers Construct, of course in a more believable manner.What might be worth a thought is removing wooden handles from stone tools as a whole, as from what I know of visiting many archaeological sites, bones were used primarily. And it adds character!

What might be worth a thought is removing wooden handles from stone tools as a whole, as from what I know of visiting many archaeological sites, bones were used primarily. And it adds character!

Removing wooden handles on stone tools would completely murder the balance. You would have to punch an animal to death in order to get the bones so you can make your first tools, or if you are in one of the many spawn areas that don't have any animals, you would have to wait for a skeleton to spawn, and then either punch it to death, or wait for sunrise and hope it burns to death.

Sticks are already essentially perfectly balanced as a starting tool handle. Not only can they be gathered quickly simply by punching leaves in an area that has trees, they can also be scattered about on the ground in forests as well as on the beach, for the rare cases when you spawn where there are no trees around.

Removing wooden handles on stone tools would completely murder the balance. You would have to punch an animal to death in order to get the bones so you can make your first tools, or if you are in one of the many spawn areas that don't have any animals, you would have to wait for a skeleton to spawn, and then either punch it to death, or wait for sunrise and hope it burns to death.

Sticks are already essentially perfectly balanced as a starting tool handle. Not only can they be gathered quickly simply by punching leaves in an area that has trees, they can also be scattered about on the ground in forests as well as on the beach, for the rare cases when you spawn where there are no trees around.

Of course it would need a little balancing ;) ie. animal skeletons could spawn.  just like crops do. I think it would add a lot to believability. At least for me, as I love older history.

Or simply add bones to TFC rubble, as is with sticks now.

Or simply add bones to TFC rubble, as is with sticks now.

Maybe found in deserts or something? That could be a big help viable option in a place far from the coast with no trees.

Maybe found in deserts or something? That could be a big help viable option in a place far from the coast with no trees.

Bones in general aren't really rare in forests, given there was something that was eaten recently. Quite a number of predators do not eat marrow, methinks.

Bones in general aren't really rare in forests, given there was something that was eaten recently. Quite a number of predators do not eat marrow, methinks.

Indeed :)I think a addition  of this would be great!

Erm......Sorry, do you generally find a bunch of bones lying around when you're hiking? Do you just stumble across carcasses whenever you go hunting? Whenever I go hiking, the only bones my dog and I find are ones that have been burried for decades and are too damaged to make anything out of. You don't just find nice fresh bones lying around the forest. They are either destroyed by preditors, or decayed by nature. Hell, the only time I find bones around town (I live in Cochrane, Alberta. Some dude called Cochrane drove a massive herd or catle through these parts long ago) they are super old/decayed cattle bones. You are much more likely to find sheds (That is to say, antlers), which are not exactly suitable for anything other than flint knapping.

Erm......Sorry, do you generally find a bunch of bones lying around when you're hiking? Do you just stumble across carcasses whenever you go hunting? Whenever I go hiking, the only bones my dog and I find are ones that have been burried for decades and are too damaged to make anything out of. You don't just find nice fresh bones lying around the forest. They are either destroyed by preditors, or decayed by nature. Hell, the only time I find bones around town (I live in Cochrane, Alberta. Some dude called Cochrane drove a massive herd or catle through these parts long ago) they are super old/decayed cattle bones. You are much more likely to find sheds (That is to say, antlers), which are not exactly suitable for anything other than flint knapping.

Well, in the Czech Republic you do. I have a rather large collection of Animal Skulls. Obviously picking up the bones IRL has no meaning compared to skulls.

Might be rather difficult to use a skull as a handle for a tool (Decorative skulls would be cool though. Especially if you can chistel them to become drinking cups). I suppose that certain geographical location slow the decay of bones more than others, so if the devs were really in the mod they could all bone piles to locations like deserts and tundra. Of course that screws over anybody who doesn't spawn in those regions.

Might be rather difficult to use a skull as a handle for a tool (Decorative skulls would be cool though. Especially if you can chistel them to become drinking cups). I suppose that certain geographical location slow the decay of bones more than others, so if the devs were really in the mod they could all bone piles to locations like deserts and tundra. Of course that screws over anybody who doesn't spawn in those regions.

I agree, you can not make much out of skulls. But skulls must decay at a very similar rate as bones. The mechanic for generating bone piles is rather similar to crops.

And we also have to note that TFC is not modern in any way. If the bones we find are old bones, won't they be fresh bones say, a few decades or something earlier, fresh and ready to be stuck on tool heads?

Also, in places like the desert, the bones will be nicely preserved by the heat and dryness, won't it?

And we also have to note that TFC is not modern in any way. If the bones we find are old bones, won't they be fresh bones say, a few decades or something earlier, fresh and ready to be stuck on tool heads?

Also, in places like the desert, the bones will be nicely preserved by the heat and dryness, won't it?

That's not quite how it works. The reason we find bones long after the death of the animal is because they get protected from decay by quirks of nature. For example, they might get burried by sediment, or frozen in ice. We only find them once a heavy downpour washes away the soil or it gets frost wedged to the surface. The only bones you'll find are from fresh kills, a handful of days old at the latest. And note that this is extremely rare.

That being said, the conditions in deserts would probably preserve bones for long enough for you to find them. But forcing players to find a desert before they're allowed to get stone tools would be game breaking.

I agree, but don't forget there are a lot less large predators today. When have you seen a wolf or bear in Europe the last time? They were large in populations here still a couple hundred years ago. In fact in central Europe there use to be some fearly large cats!

An increase of large predators also means an increase in animals that gnaw on bones. Wolves pretty much always gnaw on bones, and bears don't hunt wild game. Bears are omnivorous, eating mainly berries and the occasional fish.