Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deez

Hemp

33 posts in this topic

When discussing the agriculture update with friends, we were trying to figure out the plants that might be added... and I was thinking I will explode if Hemp isn't included. Hemp can be used the same way we use Wood and and other fibrous materials to create paper, cloth, fuel, food and much much more. It's renewable and was used for hundreds of years before we discovered its alternative uses.

Some item's we could make include;

Fuel - The leftovers (stalks and other garbage parts) from harvesting hemp should be included as a fuel source

Food - Seeds and flowers can be eaten, hemp beer can be brewed from the flowers

Clothing - Could be crafted from cloth and dyed for a unique multiplayer experience

Rope - Used in conjunction with a grappling hook, or on its own as a type of ladder

Fishing Nets - Useful for setting up fishing traps

Paper - Alternative recipe can be added

Sacks, Backpacks, Satchel, etc - Hemp rope and hemp cloth could be combined to create a storage item!

Edit: changed topic title

If this was added then maybe also the possibility of sails for a faster ocean crossing experience. Windmills could also be a nice addition. This would all fit very well with the realism that this mod brings to the table since hemp was, at one point the most common material used for sails.

Edit: I also would not be overly upset if we could roll the stuff up ;D. You know.... to make us more creative? (I'm sorry I had too XD)

If this was added then maybe also the possibility of sails for a faster ocean crossing experience. Windmills could also be a nice addition. This would all fit very well with the realism that this mod brings to the table since hemp was, at one point the most common material used for sails. Edit: I also would not be overly upset if we could roll the stuff up ;D. You know.... to make us more creative? (I'm sorry I had too XD)

too bad that most species of hemp don't contain much, if any, of that creative juice then. :P

Hemp was used for a lot of stuff back in the olden days. but hemp beer was new to me. and if bioxx adds bees then we will most likely get Mead at some point too. so maybe hemp beer is superfluous? I dunno.

There are plenty of other plants that can be used to make fibers. Its not bad now but it could definitely lead to later problems. Reading the list from wikipedia; Alpaca, Angora,Byssus, Camel hair, Cashmere,Catgut, Chiengora, Guanaco,Llama, Mohair, Pashmina, Qiviut,Rabbit, Silk,Sinew,Spider silk,Wool, Vicuña,Yak (animals) Abacá,Bagasse,Bamboo,Coir, Cotton, Flax(Linen),Hemp,Jute, Kapok, Kenaf,Piña,Raffia, Ramie,Sisal,Wood (plants) Asbestos (minerals). These are all hyperlinks direct to Wikipedia one of the trees we already added is on there and I can see four that may be added soon we will be at no shortage of fiber making materials. Not to mention all the synthetic possibilities.

Hemp is great...i already pretend my indoor saplins are some dank....lol

all jokin aside i do think smoking hemp will be bad lol " for younger players"....but if u do add smokin to it.....make it so we can name hemp plants too lol...Growin that Pineapple , girl scout cookies and blue dream would be epic...

This is a great idea! One plant and so many uses! Not bad!

Not to mention you can make butter and other foods with hemp....

And alot of people use to and some still do use hemp as medicine...

Strongly disagree still all of its purposes can be replaced except the one that i don't want replaced. there are plenty of other versatile plants that won't lose us audience. If you don't think this would lose us an audience I promise you i would leave immediately for the same reason i don't play BTW. I know it may not be used like this but why tempt fate this opens options for easy add-ons to taint the reputation of a so far flawless mod. As for medicinal purposes that only applies to hippies, idiots, and chemotherapy (used to prevent vomiting). Idiots always come but last time i checked hippies and chemotherapy were not included. Find a different versatile plant that doesn't imply anything. Rant over, please return to your daily lives.

There are plenty of other plants that can be used to make fibers. Its not bad now but it could definitely lead to later problems. Reading the list from wikipedia; Alpaca, Angora,Byssus, Camel hair, Cashmere,Catgut, Chiengora, Guanaco,Llama, Mohair, Pashmina, Qiviut,Rabbit, Silk,Sinew,Spider silk,Wool, Vicuña,Yak (animals) Abacá,Bagasse,Bamboo,Coir, Cotton, Flax(Linen),Hemp,Jute, Kapok, Kenaf,Piña,Raffia, Ramie,Sisal,Wood (plants) Asbestos (minerals). These are all hyperlinks direct to Wikipedia one of the trees we already added is on there and I can see four that may be added soon we will be at no shortage of fiber making materials. Not to mention all the synthetic possibilities.

You know, last time i checked, Llama was an animal, not a plant.

As for medicinal purposes that only applies to hippies, idiots, and chemotherapy (used to prevent vomiting). Idiots always come but last time i checked hippies and chemotherapy were not included. Find a different versatile plant that doesn't imply anything. Rant over, please return to your daily lives.

Well giving that it has been used as medicine for last 12,000 years and your short list of ppl who use it for medicine and what medical uses it is for shows you know nothing about the plant.

Mecial use :

Analgesia

Glaucoma

Neurological and Movement Disorders

Brain Turmors - The cannabinoids work by increasing the potency of a fat molecule known as ceramide. Increased ceramide activity, in turn, inhibits cells that would normally produce VEGF and encourage blood vessel growth

Stimulate Appetite and Alleviate Cachexia - Eatin disorders

Chemotherapy

MORE

A 2002 review of medical literature by Franjo Grotenhermen states that medical cannabis has established effects in the treatment of nausea, vomiting, premenstrual syndrome, unintentional weight loss, insomnia, and lack of appetite. Other "relatively well-confirmed" effects were in the treatment of "spasticity, painful conditions, especially neurogenic pain, movement disorders, asthma, [and] glaucoma".[7]

Preliminary findings indicate that cannabis-based drugs proves useful in treating inflammatory bowel disease, migraines, fibromyalgia, and related conditions.[8]

Medical cannabis has also been found to relieve certain symptoms of multiple sclerosis[9] and spinal cord injuries[10][11][12] by exhibiting antispasmodic and muscle-relaxant properties as well as stimulating appetite.

Other studies state that cannabis or cannabinoids may be useful in treating alcohol abuse,[13]amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,[14][15]collagen-induced arthritis,[16]asthma,[17]atherosclerosis,[18]bipolar disorder,[19][20]colorectal cancer,[21]HIV-Associated Sensory Neuropathy[22]depression,[23][24][25][26]dystonia,[27]epilepsy,[28][29][30]digestive diseases,[31]gliomas,[32][33]hepatitis C,[34]Huntington's disease,[35]leukemia,[36]skin tumors,[37]methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA),[38]Parkinson's disease,[39]pruritus,[40][41]posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD),[42]psoriasis,[43]sickle-cell disease,[44]sleep apnea,[45] and anorexia nervosa.[46] Controlled research on treating Tourette syndrome with a synthetic version of tetrahydrocannabinol, (brand name Marinol) (the main psychoactive chemical found in cannabis), showed the patients taking Marinol had a beneficial response without serious adverse effects

Damn Hippies and their medical training lol....simple fact is it has alot of medical uses...

I think we're focusing on the wrong aspect here when we're talking about medicinal uses for hemp, and I think it's very silly to avoid hemp just so we don't attract a "bad crowd".

Better Than Wolves did it wrong by adding special "lamps" that "increase the speed of growth", since that was obviously a tip of the hat to what bsb calls "the wrong crowd". They also didn't need to use the infamous symbol of "cannabis" as the designated yield from the crop, since it's not the leaves you're using, it's the stem - where the fiber is.

Historically hemp has been the most used (variety-speaking), most practical crop. I don't see how terrafirmacraft should refrain from adding it for the fiber. Pot-smoking mods for minecraft are ridiculous and just because bioxx adds hemp doesn't mean that he invites potheads to play. Hemp (what is called hemp today) has very low levels of THC anyway, so it's practically useless for recreational drug-use.

You know, last time i checked, Llama was an animal, not a plant.

If you're trying to point out faults, then you missed the part where he has "(animals)" and was pretty much just a coppying off of a list of sources. :P

i like hemp rope and oil some the better uses for in in the mod i think

I think we're focusing on the wrong aspect here when we're talking about medicinal uses for hemp, and I think it's very silly to avoid hemp just so we don't attract a "bad crowd".

Better Than Wolves did it wrong by adding special "lamps" that "increase the speed of growth", since that was obviously a tip of the hat to what bsb calls "the wrong crowd". They also didn't need to use the infamous symbol of "cannabis" as the designated yield from the crop, since it's not the leaves you're using, it's the stem - where the fiber is.

Historically hemp has been the most used (variety-speaking), most practical crop. I don't see how terrafirmacraft should refrain from adding it for the fiber. Pot-smoking mods for minecraft are ridiculous and just because bioxx adds hemp doesn't mean that he invites potheads to play. Hemp (what is called hemp today) has very low levels of THC anyway, so it's practically useless for recreational drug-use.

Guys BTW is a tongue in cheek mod, we don't need to discuss if people can pick up on the humor before they get to the gimp breeding suit or not.. The topic of a nice textile and utility plant is a key one. Hemp is what it was called and if the slang around it bugs you then call it something else, it makes little to no difference.. Overall though this is a good idea.. We desperately need rope in my opinion let alone the rest of the items that this fibrous plant could be used for.. I love the fishing net ideas and so on and so forth.. Lets keep the ideas rolling and stop caring what it will be called as Ultimate Bioxx will call it whatever he wants and what do we care as long as it helps us scale that ravine with out having to mine a stair case in it :D

Don't get me wrong, I love BTW. But I don't want TFC to turn into BTW.

The slang doesn't bother me at all, but, I'm quoting the wiki now;

Hemp (from Old Englishhænep) is a term reserved mainly for low tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) strains of the plantCannabis sativa.

Just wanted to clear any confusion. I should have posted this in my first post!

What I would like to see the most in TFC that hemp can provide is textiles. Ropes I wouldn't know what to do with lol!

And you should be able to use the hemp for fishing bait, it works verry good.

Strongly disagree still all of its purposes can be replaced except the one that i don't want replaced. there are plenty of other versatile plants that won't lose us audience. If you don't think this would lose us an audience I promise you i would leave immediately for the same reason i don't play BTW. I know it may not be used like this but why tempt fate this opens options for easy add-ons to taint the reputation of a so far flawless mod. As for medicinal purposes that only applies to hippies, idiots, and chemotherapy (used to prevent vomiting). Idiots always come but last time i checked hippies and chemotherapy were not included. Find a different versatile plant that doesn't imply anything. Rant over, please return to your daily lives.

Ya I was totally joking about smoking the stuff.... If you even tried to smoke hemp you would be very disappointed. However, like the others have stated Hemp has many uses and even though there are other fibrous plants they almost always lose in a head to head with hemp fibers and the materials created from them. Hemp fibers can be use to create stronger building materials (I believe they would be in the form of polymers) than steel as well as everything from fabric to plastic. On top of that it is incredibly easy to grow (hence the nick name weed) in almost any climate. There are types of hemp that will grow in the winter and even some that will grow in a desert environment. Also, hemp plant will actually make the soil that they are grown in better by tilling the soil on their own. There is a reason this plant was used for so many things for so long. The use of it's slightly altered cousin as a drug is the ONLY reason we still aren't using it for everything today. Hell you can even make very efficient biofuel from it, and the seed hearts are very high in protein.

So its good for textiles, building materials, plastics, alternative fuels, and food (I'm probably missing some things too).

I would very much like to see someone smoke hemp, or try to extract a medicinal use from it. :) Hemp as I know it, is the male portion of the Cannabis plant that has been used Industrially, while the female is the one with the psychoactive properties. It's difficult enough to even breed Cannabis from a seed because like animals, you need to sex them and either destroy the males or keep them completely separate. If a male were to pollinate a female it would being to produce seeds and create a transgender plant, rendering the "medicinal" properties useless.

Therefore, Hemp is the male version and wouldn't get you high even if it were to have the extraction procedures done to it to produce oil, hash or alcohol (for tinctures). Good day.

Oh and to stay on topic; I like the idea of adding a loom and whatever else you would need to turn raw wool/hemp into string then into cloth.

^^

What he said, heh. I definitely want to see more use for things like rope as well as a textile system and having to extract fibers to spin threads, then weave them into cloth (if you're not making rope out of it). Though I don't think we need a bunch of complex systems for this. Maybe just a crafting table specific to fibers, thread/strings, rope, an fabric?

as far as smokin like ya was jokin to...turin it more into a weed things....but i think rope for pullys or elevator for mine shafts or roped u can climt them without them being on a edge or a block

I still think there are many other replacements for this plant as I have shown above (for making rope). Most rope is not made of hemp nor was it traditionally its just a possibility. As for the medicinal uses Lycheborne if those were true Hemp would cure almost all modern problematic disease and prevent most of the rest. I'm pretty sure if half those were true there wouldn't be a question in anyone's mind and hemp would suddenly become the most grown crop in the world. A cure to cancer found where we have already looked a hundred times I think not. I looked at the study for brain cancer its test group was six people and their reasoning was it forced cancer cells to commit autophagy (eat themselves). Thats not how it works you can't do that so selectively with a single compound found naturally in our bodies (THC suppose triggers the growth or repression of a certain lipid can't remember which) our body would be capable of curing itself of cancer. So that mean it doesn't kill cancer cells but brain cells which i believe we have already decided to be true. so there you have it hemp kills brain cells which may occasionally be cancer cells. I don't trust these results. You don't have to bother arguing this Bioxx has said that he will implement it so this post is more or less just me raging for no apparent reason. As a closing sentence I ask "Why Hemp whats wrong with flax or kapok or llamas or any of the other things I posted above?"

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

<SNIP> if you feel that another type of plant would be more suitable then please go ahead and start your own thread outlining the possibilities for it.

Edited by Crysyn

<SNIP>

<SNIP> if you feel that another type of plant would be more suitable then please go ahead and start your own thread outlining the possibilities for it.

Sorry for such an invasive edit Deez but I did not want to lose the last part as that is a valid statement.

To everyone however, as I mentioned before the other half of this conversation ends now. From here on out I will be outright deleting ANY post that even mentions it regardless of what else is said in that post as I have asked you all to ignore once already and focus on the part of the conversation that is pertinent to this topic.