Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Vlad

Crucible temperature falling a lot on every ore smelted

15 posts in this topic

It is really annoying and anti realistic, after smelting 80 ores and heating the whole mass to 4 bars heat, adding the 81 ore drops the whole mass to 3 bars heat.

After adding 1 cold ore to a 80 ore heated metal, it should only go down less then 1/80 of the temperature.

I guess it's a known issue, so is this going to change?

I see where you are comming from, but as it works atm the crucible spends a fixed amount of stored heat for every piece.

While it is annoying for large quantities i don't really see it as an issue since (regular) coal is available in huge quantities, i tend to just use multible forges/crucibles with bellows to speed them up.

I see where you are comming from, but as it works atm the crucible spends a fixed amount of stored heat for every piece.

While it is annoying for large quantities i don't really see it as an issue since (regular) coal is available in huge quantities, i tend to just use multible forges/crucibles with bellows to speed them up.

I has nothing to do with coal. The metal temperature stored in the crucible itself is falling when adding a new ore, so smelting nickel takes very long, since the ore only melts when the crucible is higher then the melting temperature, so even when having 80 already smelted nickel at a white temperature, after adding another ore it drops below the melting temperature and it takes a minute to climb up again.

Without bellow at takes 4 minutes to smelt one nickel bar..

Obviously it's not a world's first problem, but still would be nice to have a better mechanics.

For example:

you put X ores in a crucible, so it heats according to have much ore it have (the more ore the slower), and once it's over melting temperature all the X ores melts at once.

I think the quote of Bioxx's that Kitty has in her signature is appropriate. Yeah it isn't accurate, but it maintains balance.

Posted Image

Believable does not mean that everything has to be accurate. The idea behind believable is that it gives us much leeway to change facts as we see fit to provide a desired gameplay outcome. A great many things are possible in the real world, but that does not mean that all of those things are beneficial to providing a progression based gameplay experience.

Exactly what Bunsan said. The temperature drop is a flat % no matter what you throw in, or what the crucible currently contains. This is purely for simplicities sake, because making the system more complicated is a lot of work and it's really not worth the effort.

As for your problem with smelting a nickel bar, I would suggest heating the crucible up to a higher temperature before you throw the nickel in. That way you can melt more pieces before the temperature drops below the melting point.

Exactly what Bunsan said. The temperature drop is a flat % no matter what you throw in, or what the crucible currently contains. This is purely for simplicities sake, because making the system more complicated is a lot of work and it's really not worth the effort.

As for your problem with smelting a nickel bar, I would suggest heating the crucible up to a higher temperature before you throw the nickel in. That way you can melt more pieces before the temperature drops below the melting point.

At max temperature the first nickel ore already drops you below the melting temperature..

And it's not a complex change with a lot of code, it's 1 minute change of one line..

And it's not a complex change with a lot of code, it's 1 minute change of one line..

If it's 1 minute change of one line, then you should be fine doing it yourself and submitting a PR. :)

If it's 1 minute change of one line, then you should be fine doing it yourself and submitting a PR. :)

I actually could, and maybe I will, I just need to get familiar with your way of working and the code a bit.

I don't see a problem, while it's true the temperature of a full crucible should be less affected by one addition, it should also take much longer to heat up a full crucible than an empty one. While the current system does not reflect this reality accurately, the end result is the same. I prefer the consistency of how it is now as opposed to having my crucibles heat up 30x slower when full as well as taking 1/30 the heat drop when adding a full one. If they added this then you would wind up with lots of people min/maxing by using a large battery of 6-7 crucibles to melt down 3 or 4 ingots in each to save time.

I don't see a problem, while it's true the temperature of a full crucible should be less affected by one addition, it should also take much longer to heat up a full crucible than an empty one. While the current system does not reflect this reality accurately, the end result is the same. I prefer the consistency of how it is now as opposed to having my crucibles heat up 30x slower when full as well as taking 1/30 the heat drop when adding a full one. If they added this then you would wind up with lots of people min/maxing by using a large battery of 6-7 crucibles to melt down 3 or 4 ingots in each to save time.

Exactly the opposite, once I have a half+ crucible of high temperature, I can start melting ore almost instantly, instead of a huge temperature drop for each new ore.

It is also the reason why you probably have your blast furnace up to level 5 instead of just 1 level that resets every time..

It may take time to heat something big, but once done it's a very reliable source of heat.

Exactly the opposite, once I have a half+ crucible of high temperature, I can start melting ore almost instantly, instead of a huge temperature drop for each new ore.

It is also the reason why you probably have your blast furnace up to level 5 instead of just 1 level that resets every time..

It may take time to heat something big, but once done it's a very reliable source of heat.

His point is that it would take absolutely forever to heat up that half+ crucible because you're heating up that much more liquid.

So a mechanic that encourages the usage of multiple crucibles is considred a bad thing?

We apparently think quite differently. I would think a mechanic that encourages multiple crucibles is a good thing

His point is that it would take absolutely forever to heat up that half+ crucible because you're heating up that much more liquid.

It would take the same time it takes now, if you put 80 ores it will take the time to heat one * 80, now you just heat the whole crucible for every single one all over again which is the same.

Well, maybe it can be slightly less annoying if some ores with low melting temperature lowered the heat less than ones with a high melting point or something? Like, dropping copper into the crucible will lower the heat less than if you say, threw a iron bloom into it.