Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
aleksey_t

[TFC 0.79.17] Lanterns Addon for TFC

38 posts in this topic

This addon adds lanterns to TFC (ExtraFirma lanterns were used as a base idea).

There are 12 different lanterns which could be made from 1 - 3 tier's metals and alloys.

Lanterns made from 3 tier metal have greater light level, all other characteristics are the same.

Sneak + Right Click with empty hand on lantern - allows to turn on/off light.

Screenshot:

post-14675-0-13383500-1416649742.jpg

Recipes:

Lantern Core (material for lantern) could be made from sheet of any 1-3 tier's metal or alloy:

post-14675-0-78148800-1416649741.jpg

Lantern Core must be filled in barrel by any alcohol (2000 mB of alcohol is required):

post-14675-0-72421200-1416649740.png

Lantern could be made from:

- 2 sticks

- 2 wool yarns

- 4 glass panels

- 1 lantern core filled

post-14675-0-06926500-1416649741.png

Download:

Lanterns-1.0.43

Changes:

1.0.43:

- Updated to support TFC 0.79.17

1.0.42:

- Light level for lanterns made from 3 tier metal changed to 15

- Added possibility to change light level for lanterns in config file

- Lanterns now correctly connects to fences and walls (vanilla and TFC)

1.0.35:

- "Lantern Shell" renamed to "Lantern Core"

- "Lantern Core" icons have been updated

Sources:

Sources on GitHub

P.S. Feel free to include this addon to your modpack.

Edited by aleksey_t

Nice job!!

Please tell me they don't go out in the rain.

You sir... are my hero!

Love the mod, and so does everyone else on my server. Going to be adding this little gem to my permanent mod list :)

Thank you for kind words.> Please tell me they don't go out in the rain.

These are lanterns and not torches or candles - they don't go out in the rain! :)I thought to make so lanterns must be refuiled once per 1 - 2 years, but not think this is good idea - we already have torches with such function, but lanterns is more expensive replacement but with permanent light.I'm planning to make another icons for "lantern shells" - more clear than current.Icons that are using now - are just copy of lantern textures.Btw, what do you think do we need more lanterns that could be made from 0 tier metals and >=4 tier alloys?Or current limitation for 1-3 tiers is better?

What do you think could be improved in current lanterns?

The only improvement I can think of is the textures for the shell, and possibly a different name for it. At least for me, I think of a "Lantern Shell" as the outside part, not the "guts" of the lantern. Granted the technical term for it is a "Font" but that might make less sense to everyone lol. Maybe "Lantern Core" instead?

The metals are fine, as they still give a large variety and still look "believable". Something like Red/Blue Steel might be too much of an overpowering color. Also having more metals, and having to have an item for every alcohol type on top of that seems a bit overkill (like the new tfc metal trap doors).

Aside from that, I can't see anything wrong with the mod. It was exactly what I was looking for, just like ExtraFirma, but without all the other items I didn't care for anyway ;)

Can I include it in our modpack?

Yes, sure - it could be included.It would be nice to have this addon on our server :)
Thank you for detailed feedback.I agree with you - "Lantern Core" will be definitelly better than "Shell".

Also having more metals, and having to have an item for every alcohol type on top of that seems a bit overkill (like the new tfc metal trap doors).

Yes, agree.

Thanks for this worthy addition!

Addon have been update to 1.0.35 (just cosmetic changes)

Could it be possible to make it so that higher tier lanterns put out light over a wider area and lower tiered ones light up smaller areas? :P

Ohh, thats nice idea, I will implement it.

Copper Lantern will have light level lower than current (current is the same as torch), Platinum and Wrought Iron Lanterns will have max light level.

I am a little torn on the idea of changing the light level. I do like the concept of lanterns putting off different light levels, maybe just having it more powerful than a torch is what I like. Personally myself (and server) have been using the lanterns for aesthetics, some builds look better having a different type of metal (like using certain wood/stone combinations to make it look good). So if I may make a humble suggestion, that if this is implemented, if there could be a config option to disable it and have all lanterns give off the same light level.

I do think that the lanterns should put off more light than a standard torch, as they are more time consuming and expensive to build. I just don't think that the metal should effect the light level.

This is just my two cents on the topic ;)

This addon. I like it.

ANOTHER!

On a more serious note, I do like the look of them. Are they only placable on walls, or could you put them on the top of a fence post as well?

They can be placed on top, side, and bottom of blocks (including both vanilla and TFC fences)

If you do place them on the side of a fence or wall (like cobblestone/brick walls) there is not a connected texture, so it just "floats" in the air.

I am a little torn on the idea of changing the light level. I do like the concept of lanterns putting off different light levels, maybe just having it more powerful than a torch is what I like.

All lanterns from 2-tier metal will have the same light level as now (14).Copper lantern will have light level 13Platinum and Wrought Iron will have light level 15. 

So if I may make a humble suggestion, that if this is implemented, if there could be a config option to disable it and have all lanterns give off the same light level.

Yes, looks like config file is needed. 

This is just my two cents on the topic ;)

Thank you for your opinion. 

This addon. I like it.ANOTHER!On a more serious note, I do like the look of them. Are they only placable on walls, or could you put them on the top of a fence post as well?

Thanks.As Red3Tango wrote - lanterns could be put on top or bottom TFC and vanilla fences and walls. 

If you do place them on the side of a fence or wall (like cobblestone/brick walls) there is not a connected texture, so it just "floats" in the air.

This will be fixed in new update so lanterns could be connected to side of fence or wall:post-14675-0-58906900-1416251768_thumb.j

Hi @aleksey_t.

First of all Thank for a great mod/addon.

I currently working on my own add for TFC and have a question for you, is it possible to take a look at your source code for some tips? I'm a noob at modding, but think the best way to learn is to look at examples...

Yes, I'm planning to upload sources to GitHub in nearest time.

Updated version of addon have been uploaded.

EPIC update!, specially love the look of the supporting bar on fence-walls!

Link to sources have been added to the initial post.

Just came by to say thank you.  :)

This has been so awesome. :) Thank you.

Aleksey,

Great work on your addons! We have Lanterns installed on our server and we've built dozens of them. We want to upgrade to 79.17 and also install your Decorations addon when you are able to update it. I believe you said that people with Lanterns already will have the lanterns disabled from Decorations. Does that mean we have to keep Lanterns installed and wait for an update to it? Or can we install Decorations and uninstall Lanterns and still have the already built lanterns continue to function?