Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walpurgis

Food: Soups/Stews, more recipes

21 posts in this topic

Whenever I play around on creative mode with tfc, I came across a ceramic pot. Why not use this pot to prepare soup/stew and cook it over the fireplace? Also, as your cooking skill ranks up, maybe some new recipes too, like pie making for example. Dough, meats, fruits, vegetables, combined and cooked over the fireplace as well.

EDIT: I also wanted to include cookable rice by using ceramic pot. Can be used for soup/salad.

Howdy! To quote Kitty, in a post about getting two stone hoe heads from 1 rock that rapidly got derailed:

The ceramic pot is a placeholder item that's been in TFC since 78.0. It may eventually get used for something along the lines of stews, or it may get removed entirely. Such is the life of placeholder items.

Pretty sure Soups and Stews were already planned at some point in the past. (probably around B78 considering the place holder) Probably not a good chance for them until body temp is added since it just seems like a wet salad otherwise.

I want to make standing pies and with the repertoire of animals there are I could manage a bearsteerbucklambenfish standing pie (no pig because that is used in the crust, mhhm; lard.)

Though it would have to take high butchery skill and at least the cook time of a charcoal pit. Not sure how the flavor would be, but I want to feed a server on a three by two by three golden brown, gravy filled monolith!!

I would definitely like to see this happen. One of the primary reasons pottery was developed was to hold water and make soup :)

The way I want stews and soups implemented...We would have to make a cauldron that's made out of metal. It would be able to contain a fuel source, water, and items. You would have to put water, the items you need to make your stew/soup, and a fuel source in the cauldron and then light it up. Once the cauldron boils the color of the water will change to looking like the particular stew/soup you made. To take the stew/soup out of the cauldron so you can eat it, you would need to hold an empty ceramic bowl and right click the cauldron. Each finished stew/soup will be enough to fill up 3 bowls.Here is the suggestion I've made for Minecraft to have a similar mechanic be added. Minecraft Suggestions Reddit: http://redd.it/1dzzy4

I do rather like your interfaces Trenix, very nicely done. I'm not entirely on board with forcing the player to be able to work iron before they can make soups and stews. I fear that might turn a lot of people away from the idea. I'd stick with either the ceramic pot on a fire (But with the same style interface that you have). An alternative would be to add a little incentive to make stews/soups, like a greater amount of saturation (Since food put in the stew would be automatically cooked, and as such gain the cooking bonus) or by making the weight of the stew double the weight of the ingredients, so that you can stretch a small amount of food to last longer.

We could have both ceramic cauldrons and metal ones. The ceramic ones should take much longer for them to heat up before the water starts boiling.

Why do you need more advantages for the iron cauldron than the fact that is unbreakable? Let people make soup and stews the same way on both clay and iron, the only difference should be that clay cauldrons would have a chance of breaking, believe me once you loose all your food ingredients because the clay cauldron broke you going to want to spend the metal and work to have a metal cauldron. 

Why do you need more advantages for the iron cauldron than the fact that is unbreakable? Let people make soup and stews the same way on both clay and iron, the only difference should be that clay cauldrons would have a chance of breaking, believe me once you loose all your food ingredients because the clay cauldron broke you going to want to spend the metal and work to have a metal cauldron. 

Because when I made the suggestion we weren't exploring the possibility of having both. I challenged that they should be made out of iron, since they would be too late game with too little reward. If they were to be made out of iron, I suggested some benefits that helped counter the fact that you have to wait a while to get it.

Because when I made the suggestion we weren't exploring the possibility of having both. I challenged that they should be made out of iron, since they would be too late game with too little reward. If they were to be made out of iron, I suggested some benefits that helped counter the fact that you have to wait a while to get it.

Why would they provide little reward? They should be better than all the meals we currently have because stews and soups would not only replenish hunger, but also thirst. No meal or food does that currently.

Replenishing thirst is not really a good enough perk. Water is very easy to come by, and with the massive amount of storage we have, there are always a few slots you can dedicate to water jugs.

Making your soup in a clay cauldron or a iron cauldron should not affect the quality or flavor of the soup. The only difference is the durability of the cauldron itself.

Making your soup in a clay cauldron or a iron cauldron should not affect the quality or flavor of the soup. The only difference is the durability of the cauldron itself.

The reward Trenix was suggesting was not a difference in flavor, but cooking time, which makes sense in my opinion.A relatively thin metal cauldron would heat up its contents notably faster than a centimeters thick clay pot, I guess ...

That makes sense. Not really sure if it makes such a difference when cooking over a campfire. or if it justify coding it in game. (Iron cauldron and clay cauldron could have the same exact code, only dif wrench is chance of breaking. I just object to the concept that a metal cauldron confers any advantage over a clay cauldron, but for the fact that it will not break.

that is reason enough to upgrade it.

That makes sense. Not really sure if it makes such a difference when cooking over a campfire. or if it justify coding it in game. (Iron cauldron and clay cauldron could have the same exact code, only dif wrench is chance of breaking. I just object to the concept that a metal cauldron confers any advantage over a clay cauldron, but for the fact that it will not break.that is reason enough to upgrade it.

Something not breaking as often is hardly a convincing reason. Sure, it's a small perk, but when you consider the ease of making clay vs. the cost of making iron, I wouldn't find it worth it. Adding the cooking time modifier would make it more appealing.

I wouldn't mind seeing the clay large vessels getting used for this after you move on to wooden barrels. You could place it over a forge or a fire-pit like you would with a crucible, and then use it like a dutch oven or a crock-pot.

You could place raw dough inside to make bread in place of the current method of tossing it on a fire-pit, or put in vegetables and meats with some water to make a stew, and then seal it for a certain amount of time, at which point the food becomes cooked and ready to eat. As a bonus, stew kept on the fire and hot could be safe from decay.

Since the vessel is clay, it could have a chance to break once emptied.

Something not breaking as often is hardly a convincing reason. Sure, it's a small perk, but when you consider the ease of making clay vs. the cost of making iron, I wouldn't find it worth it. Adding the cooking time modifier would make it more appealing.

Suppose you could make a metal canteen, and never again have to worry about your clay jug breaking? I am pretty sure we all would do it. I am not opposed to have a small increase in how fast you cook with a metal cauldron. But the main advantage remains, once your clay cauldron or large vessel, breaks it will spoil all contents, you loose the food. Believe me, you will be cursing and wishing you had a metal cauldron. 

Suppose you could make a metal canteen, and never again have to worry about your clay jug breaking? I am pretty sure we all would do it. I am not opposed to have a small increase in how fast you cook with a metal cauldron. But the main advantage remains, once your clay cauldron or large vessel, breaks it will spoil all contents, you loose the food. Believe me, you will be cursing and wishing you had a metal cauldron. 

I don't believe you. If I could make a metal canteen, it would depend on the metal needed. If I needed a metal I don't have access to, like iron or steel, then I obviously wouldn't make it. Besides, a canteen would only require a minimal amount of metal. You can bet the recipe for an iron couldron is gonna take 3-7 double iron sheets. Also, who cares about losing the food. By the time you're making iron your food production will be so high that you won't know what to do with it.

I'm cool with just using my Clay Vessel to make my stews and soups. Tough enough to melt copper, it certainly can handle potatoes, carrots and beef.

I'm cool with just using my Clay Vessel to make my stews and soups. Tough enough to melt copper, it certainly can handle potatoes, carrots and beef.

I am ok with it too, I want to have the clay cauldron, Not sure if we need the iron cauldron, but if it comes, I just don't want it to magically confer any advantage to the food itself. Everything you can make in a iron cauldron you can also make in a clay cauldron.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0