Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Keen_Falcon

Tracking Skill

37 posts in this topic

I Love this game, i would like to suggest a tracking skill.I like the way in assassins creed 3 that we can know that are animals in the place by just looking for a flower that rabbits eat or a place where a deer rests. Maybe tracks is so hard but think about how awosome is to track and hunt animals. And if at night instead of zombies a pack of wolfs atack, with a great howl that scare you if you try to go to a adventure at night.anyway, wish i can program like you guys do, this game is so awesome!

hugs!

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

I do like the idea of adding new skills, and tracking does sound fun. The only issue I see is that animals don't move around a whole lot, so if you're near enough to get any tracking info, you can probably see it already.

how about this. make wild creatures notice the player from much farther away and have them flee at this point.

if you're in a forest this would mean you might not even see or hear the flock of deer that simply took to the left long ago to avoid you. (many animals of the forest have much better smell and hearing than we do so this wouldn't be entirely unbelieveable)

to successfully approach you would have to sneak your way around to silence your footsteps (and to inexplicably mask your smell)

and to know just where the hell to go this is where tracks would be super usefull!

edit: can i sneak jump?

Edited by GreenLeaf

GreenLeaf's ideas are interesting, I've always wanted to be able to sneak up on mobs in minecraft by shifting and keeping quiet. 

I'm not sure how the tracking skill will increase, maybe by sneaking over the tracks, regardless this will probably make getting protein harder, so along with this idea maybe trapping could be added too. Mojang did just add some tasty tasty rabbits.

I like the idea of the animals fleeing from the player. So normal walk is noise and wild animals will flee. the only way to approach is by sneaking.

Another feature is that normal animal walking leaves no tracks, but when they are running it creates a track. The track is only available for a few days and it will dissipate.

One idea for the tracking skill is that for someone with no skill they would see only one pixel difference on the ground and the more levels you have the more pixels you would see. So the only thing it changes is how well you can see the tracks. 

So you guys say that you increase the animal spawn and the difficulty is not to found one but to catch one?

Pretty nice!

I really like the idea of a flower or a environnement cue, a home (grotto, rock, cavern) for bears.

Wolves actually don't attack people, unless they're protecting their den, their cubs, or have rabies. Coyotes on the other hand will most likely attack you, however even around my area they also tend to flee. Don't believe what you see in the movies. There is little to no death reported from wolves nowadays for some years now.

Tigers are one of the few animals that actually prey on humans. Most other wild animals will attack only when provoked or because you are invading their territory.

yeah but for the sake of gameplay we need something to fill in for the skeletons and zombies and stuff. can't be all cotton walk and dandy fluff out there!

Im pretty sure that Hippos are like the most dangerous animals to humans, accounting for the most deaths. They would be cool, and it would be nice to have a semiaquatic mob

Well, if you want to get technical, mosquitoes... LOL no don't worry I won't do that to ya. Hippoes would be amazing, as would tigers, but both of those would require some pretty hefty AI in my head... although I suppose we could get away with dumb tigers, the Hippoes would have to do a whole host of things to be believable. Stick around water, stay in a herd, be somewhat docile but incredibly temperamental...

The difference between hippos and tigers is that even though Hippos kill more people they do not actively prey on humans, They do not track and hunt for humans. It has been proved that tigers will actually go looking for a nice human to eat.

I can see some cool things that can be done with tracking. I need a thumbs up emoticon.

How would one procedurally generate animal footprints or other clues that lead to the animal in question? I do like the idea of timid animals that are "harder" to catch. But as of right now everything still looks and feels a lot like vanilla minecraft mob behaviour. 

This actually move toward my future plans of trying to create an abstract representation of animal migration etc. I think we can all agree that the current vanilla style of animal spawning is pretty terrible. I've had an idea for a little while now for a system of managing animal herds whereby we create an object that represents some amount of animals. When the player gets close enough to the location of this herd in the world, we start spawning that type of animal in the area. In this way, we can have a simulation of animal movement and spawning would not be all willynilly as it is now. 

This ofc is not quite the same as the tracking that is being discussed here but I thought I'd mention it because animal tracking could occur in a similar way. One mistake that some people make (myself included) is trying to create a full simulation of what you want to see happen with each part of the simulation fully realized. In this case the simulation we are modeling is the process of an animal walking and leaving tracks. As Hubertus stated, with the visible minecraft world as small as it is, you have the problem where if you can see the tracks, you can also probably see the animal, so tracking is useless. We could instead, using the above mentioned animal tracker, choose to create tracks for the player to follow which might lead the player several hundred blocks away to find a particular animal that wasn't even loaded in the world when he originally found the tracks.

Anyways, this is ofc all theorizing, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

One of the things I was proposing is to have tracks as a left over after the animal is spooked. So you are there exploring the world when you come upon some deer or other game. As in real life they would run away from you, because you have been walking or running witch is always noise. Thats when the tracks would be created, the animals would actually run away from you in a random direction, for a few hundred blocks. All animals are faster them humans, so the only way to hunt is to track down while sneaking.and for that you can use the tracks left by the running animals. For gameplay purposes walking animals do not create tracks, and the tracks would naturally despawm after 1 day.

One of the things I was proposing is to have tracks as a left over after the animal is spooked. So you are there exploring the world when you come upon some deer or other game. As in real life they would run away from you, because you have been walking or running witch is always noise. Thats when the tracks would be created, the animals would actually run away from you in a random direction, for a few hundred blocks. All animals are faster them humans, so the only way to hunt is to track down while sneaking.and for that you can use the tracks left by the running animals. For gameplay purposes walking animals do not create tracks, and the tracks would naturally despawm after 1 day.

I personally wouldn't mind some persistance hunting techniques. Animals may be faster than we are, but humans have much greater stamina. Animals are only fast in short bursts.

You cannot outrun a deer, or a wolf, or a bear, or a horse. and the list goes on. Just ask any hunter, if for any reason the deer gets spooked what are the chances are running after it. 

And yet there are tribes that chase down antelopes. It takes several days sometimes and avarege human can not do it, but with proper training it is possible.

Just sayin'

Also, I like Bioxx's idea a lot. Maybe it'll get implemented around build 100 :P

You cannot outrun a deer, or a wolf, or a bear, or a horse. and the list goes on. Just ask any hunter, if for any reason the deer gets spooked what are the chances are running after it. 

Look up persistance hunting, it's how people hunter for thousands of years. You spook an animal, you track it, you spook it again, you track it, you spook it again, you track it, eventually you win.

it's one of those things that aliens would marvel at when they went to safaris on earth.

yeah you see that super strong lion down there, and that huge elephant! and the mega fast antelope! those are all cool and all!

but look over there! that's the human! once he finds your tracks, which he will. oh he will.. once he finds your tracks he will follow you for days and weeks! and he will never. give. up.

you can run and you can hide, but the human will find you.

Look up persistance hunting, it's how people hunter for thousands of years. You spook an animal, you track it, you spook it again, you track it, you spook it again, you track it, eventually you win.

As long as you have to track down the animal that is so far that you cannot see it, I think it would be believable. What I don't think is believable is to try to race a deer.

I have read about group of primitive hunters circling a animal and making it run until it is so tired that they can easily approach to kill it. But is a coordinated group effort, where the hunters would take turns.

To tell me that one man is going into the forest and once he sees a spooked deer he will run and catch up with it without losing sight, is a stretch of imagination. 

Of course you can follow the tracks and if you are silent and sneak you will be able to approach it.  

As long as you have to track down the animal that is so far that you cannot see it, I think it would be believable. What I don't think is believable is to try to race a deer.

I have read about group of primitive hunters circling a animal and making it run until it is so tired that they can easily approach to kill it. But is a coordinated group effort, where the hunters would take turns.

To tell me that one man is going into the forest and once he sees a spooked deer he will run and catch up with it without losing sight, is a stretch of imagination. 

Of course you can follow the tracks and if you are silent and sneak you will be able to approach it.  

Oh yes, I didn't mean that they outran the deer! Sorry, shoulda made that more clear. Our not-quite-so-human ancestors would spook the animal and then track it down. Eventually, once the animal tired out, the distance covered would shrink until the animal stopped making serious attempts to get away. Of course, I doubt persistance hunting ports very well to video games. Having to spend a day tracking and spooking your first kills would probably cause a mass exodus of people leaving the mod.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0