Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Thrainn

B79 Food Preservation

49 posts in this topic

I'm finally looking into the new food preservation options ingame and I'm interested in what you found to be ideal for various kinds of food.

Do you pickle all your vegetables? Do you smoke or just dry your meats? Etc.

I'm just looking for some experiences as I am a little overwhelmed with the complexity and am not sure where to start.

Finally I have some technical questions, since the wiki hasen't been updated yet to the whole food preservation mechanic and the change log is not very specific:

1. I assume, only meats can be dried or smoked?

1a. If you smoke a meat on a drying rack, will it get dried at the same time?

1b. Can you consume a smoked/dried meat directly without cooking it? Realistically, you should.

1c. How many items can be hung over a single campfire and what weight limit is there to each item on the rack?

2. Can you pickle or salt any piece of food, or just e.g. salt meats and pickle vegetables?

2b. Does the pickled status only apply as long as the food is in the vinegar container, or can you take it out after the process and put it into a vessel and a dark place, still retaining the pickling benefits?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Somewhere Kitty made a huge post about everything preservation. If I remember where, I'll link it.

1: If I recall correctly, yes (80% sure)

1a No idea!

1b Don't think so. (70% sure)

2. Pretty sure (80%) salt is only for meat. I think I've seen people pickling fruit before (50%)

2b. You ask too many difficult questions :(

1. Only meats can be dried/smoked currently. It is intended for you to be able to smoke cheese as well, but it was forgotten.

1a. Yes. Hanging a piece of meat on the drying rack will dry it no matter what. If at the same time the meat is also being hung above a running fire pit, then it will also be smoked.

1b. No. TFC simply checks for if meat is raw or not. If it has not been cooked to at least a rare state, you cannot eat it.

1c. A single fire pit smokes a 3x3x3 area above it. Each block of smoke rack can hold two pieces of brined, raw meat of any size (So max 160 oz * 2 per block)

2. Only meats can be salted. Any food except for grains can be pickled.

2b. Pickled status affects decay no matter if the food is in vinegar or not. Storing pickled food in vinegar is an additional bonus to the pickled status.

While on this note: I've just brined a 110oz squash and it used over 6000mb of brine (2/3 of a barrel) has this changed as I was sure I had a barrel that's lasted me a long time last week. Currently 79.12

While on this note: I've just brined a 110oz squash and it used over 6000mb of brine (2/3 of a barrel) has this changed as I was sure I had a barrel that's lasted me a long time last week. Currently 79.12

http://terrafirmacraft.com/change_log.html

79.11 - Fixed brining not consuming the correct amount of brine

What is correct though? It was low before, now it uses an entire barrel for 1 160oz item?? That's crazy. If you are moving sea water 2km back to your base I pity you now.

Or are we all expected to move to the coast now? I've always wanted a beach front property...

Prior to 79.11, it would use 60mB of brine, no matter if you brined a 1oz piece of food, or a 160oz piece of food. It now correctly uses 60mB brine per 1oz food.

That's a lot of brine... I would expect the brine and vinegar to be in-line and the amount of vinegar used on the same squash was negligible. Using that much brine is killing the concept. 6mB per 1oz maybe, 60...no thanks.

Somewhere Kitty made a huge post about everything preservation. If I remember where, I'll link it.(...)

I believe THIS is the post you were looking for.Would be a shame if I didn't know that ;) Further interesting literature would be THIS Thread, and THIS interesting guide that I just found should answer some of my questions from a more practical standpoint.

1. Only meats can be dried/smoked currently. It is intended for you to be able to smoke cheese as well, but it was forgotten.1a. Yes. Hanging a piece of meat on the drying rack will dry it no matter what. If at the same time the meat is also being hung above a running fire pit, then it will also be smoked.1b. No. TFC simply checks for if meat is raw or not. If it has not been cooked to at least a rare state, you cannot eat it.1c. A single fire pit smokes a 3x3x3 area above it. Each block of smoke rack can hold two pieces of brined, raw meat of any size (So max 160 oz * 2 per block) 2. Only meats can be salted. Any food except for grains can be pickled.2b. Pickled status affects decay no matter if the food is in vinegar or not. Storing pickled food in vinegar is an additional bonus to the pickled status.

Thanks for your detailed answer!

ad 2b. Could you please elaborate?

In one of the above links, Bioxx stated that "Pickling is not meant to consume vinegar. Pickling alters the flavor of food and gains most of its decay resistance effects while sitting in the barrel of vinegar. Vinegar is meant to be used to store your food."

So what can we expect here? You stated once, that pickling retains 75% of normal decay rate, so what does long-time sitting in vinegar do for the food?

P.S.: Kitty, can you please correct the annoying typo in my thread title? This 'perversation' really bugs me -_-

If you click edit the first post and then click Full Editor at top right of formatting bar I think (can't check exact name or location), you can edit title.

If you click edit the first post and then click Full Editor at top right of formatting bar I think (can't check exact name or location), you can edit title.

No idea why I didn't even try to just edit the opening post ... Thanks, Bunsan! :)

… Only meats can be dried/smoked currently. It is intended for you to be able to smoke cheese as well, but it was forgotten. …

Dried fruit too, maybe? (and tomatoes…) 

… Any food except for grains can be pickled. …

It turns out that pickled cheese is an actual real-life food. You learn something new every day…

I pickle everything. As you can make alcohol out of grains as well as fruit or even veggies you can pick whatever you like and then turn it into vinegar when fruit is in season which is 6 month of the year (about).

With the new brine system it totally sucks to create a new barrel of brine after every single stack... and i live next to the ocean! ...

pick up barrel -> run 20 blocks to ocean -> fill barrel -> press E -> place barrel on back -> run back 20 blocks -> press E -> place barrel in hotbar -> place barrel on ground...

In my basement i have one barrel of every pickled stuff available, missing only a few berries. (barrels are full of vinegar ofc).

I have salted+dried meat in a container + chest as well. If i need meat, i take out half a stack ( 80 oz) and cook it, this turns the salted + dried meat into cooked + salted meat.

Cheese i can produce about one very two days if i push it, all you need is 5 cows that are fam. and ofc the vinegar but see above.

The only real problem is the grains... which is kinda hilarious as it was the only kind that in reality could be stored for ages... and here there is ZERO preservation for it. Depending on the location you can just leave the plants in place, best fridge ever. Should there be frost and one or two plants die, just do an emergency harvest.

You should eat sandwiches with all 5 ingredients to always be at max HP. Keep and eye on the amount that is used per sandwich, its 2/3/2/2/1 (=10). Rotate to adjust to your needs or amount available.

Sandwich fills half a bar at least, so it gives saturation equal to 15 to 20 oz of food but only requires 10 oz. The sandwich GUI/Window has 4 empty slots on the side, i always place 4 sandwiches there and just take one of them, once they are dont, i refill etc.

With the current fix to the brine consuming ammount I'm not brinning anymore, it's not worth it the travel when you have enough food and it can even sometimes ruin the taste

But you have to brine in order to process any food further, including pickling, right?

Yes that's true, but if it takes you a day or 2 to get 1 barrel of salt water... (my old 78 world would have been more)... and you can brine 1x 160oz item. Is it worth it anymore? You'd use more food on the trip than you'd save. I 100% agree the old numbers were too low, way way too low. But now, as I said above, the concept has been killed.

I'm surprised that you have so much trouble getting salt water. In all the seeds I've searched through an ocean has never been more than a few hundred blocks away. Add to that the fact most of the various ponds, lakes and puddles are mostly salt water. In fact for my current seed I don't think I've come across a body of water that was 100% fresh.

Don't suppose it's possible to dump salt in a barrel of water and make saltwater, is it?

Don't suppose it's possible to dump salt in a barrel of water and make saltwater, is it?

Considering the view of "salt from salt water" I doubt this is possible.

what about fish? can you smoke it?

Fish is meat, smoke away!

Considering the view of "salt from salt water" I doubt this is possible.

Well, it's way easier to pour salt into water than to extract it out of it ... I'd support the idea.Otherwise the whole preservation system all but forces us to settle near the ocean. What if you choose to settle inmidst a large continent? I do not have the experience Bunsan is stating, that water bodies that are not oceans contain salt water. It should be much easier to find rocksalt anywhere, take a full inventory of stacks home and settle wherever you like! Opposed to bring one barrel of salt water at a time over many kilometres to your home.This really should be something to consider by the devs.

Rock salt is another one of those crazy rarities... Ironically the first, and only, time I ever saw it was on the way to the ocean in my v78 world.  It was a cluster hovering over lava... Grabbed a ton of grass, made hay, laid the hay, prayed it wouldn't catch from the lava and picked away at the 20-30 rock salt. Once I finally did get it all and carried on my journey I found a whole mountain of it. I shouldn't have been so surprised, It's a rock like any other.

I've been doing some experiments: 

- 160oz food - Brined uses 9600mB brine (crazy)

TEBarrel.Java

Line 883:

60 is the amount, I'd seriously suggest knocking that back to 12 or even 6 (allowing 5-10 full stack brines per barrel)

- Pickling the same item REQUIRES you have a full barrel of Vinegar and uses 160mB of vinegar, keeping it in there preserves it and consumes next to no vinegar doing it.

TEBarrel.java

Line 619:

Some crazy calculation to work out if the ratio of vinegar is....I have no idea what you're trying to do.

It should simple be: weight * amount to pickle <= fluid.amount

You might want to standardise the process between these 2 practices as well. It would allow for a simple change to a recipe to tweak the numbers for Pickling (as I believe this is a bit low)

… Some crazy calculation to work out if the ratio of vinegar is....I have no idea what you're trying to do. …

It just says the proportion of food to liquid needs to be less than or equal to the proportion of a full food stack to a full barrel.(and the food must be brined, can't be already pickled, the barrel has to be sealed, and have been sealed for four hours)

One of the things I dont understand about the whole meat preservation, Is why the requirement for vinegar.In cold Dry places, Like up north you can actually dry meat just by hanging it in the wind. No need for Salt, Vinegar or even Smoke. Smoke was actually more useful in hot locations, as a way to drive away flies while the meat was drying. Salt gives a extra bonus for preserving meat, but is in no way a requirement. And lastly 90% of the primitive tribal societies in the world would have die hungry if they needed Vinegar to preserve meat.