Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
NikkyD

[Vanilla Bug] When traveling with a boat, player position gets stuck but the boat travel continues

12 posts in this topic

For a happy kitty:

Version #: 0.79.12.427 (with recommended forge)SSP/SMP (Single/MultiPlayer): singleSuggested Name: see aboveSuggested Category: Severe if reproducable on other systemsDo you have any mods other than Forge and TFC installed?: MapWriter (happens without as well)

Config: no change 

Seed: -291621335819898294

I travel south by boat, suddenly the ocean chunks are no longer appearing. I am floating at the edge of the world, literally. Waiting doesnt help, game will not crash.

If i save/exit and reload, i am about 200 blocks north from where i got stuck, so my position wasnt updated, thats why i assume something got stuck.

However, if i exit the boat, i am dropping into the water about 200 block north as well. So somehow i can continue the travel but my internal player position gets stuck.

I can reproduce this with the same seed!

Create world with above seed, turn gamemode C, give yourself a boat, fly, tp to 27177 / 150 / -4140, put boat in water, sit in it, gamemode s, travel south.

Whenever i do that, after about 300 blocks i hit the end of the world. Exiting the boat teleports me back (not the boat).

Somehow the player position gets out of sync with the boat position (or client position, im not sure how exactly minecraft handles this)

Player position not syncing with boat position is a vanilla bug that has been around for a very long time. This has nothing to do with TFC.

Edit: Here's the link to the issue on the vanilla tracker: https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-2931 It has been around since Minecraft 1.4.4

Any known workarounds ? I wanna build a regular travel route to the equator, sorta like a summer house, i get as far as -4000, what now ?

There are a few workarounds, but none of them are ideal. The problem is that the client thinks the boat is moving faster than the server does. To get around this you can either periodically tap W instead of holding it down to move at a slower pace, or you can periodically log out and back in while you are in the boat. The relog will reset your position to where you were actually located (usually behind where you thought you were by a hundred blocks or so). Then you can keep travelling. Both of these are frustrating because every time it updates you realized you didn't travel nearly as far as you thought you did, but that's what is causing the bug in the first place.

Well...

see i traveled about 2k of ocean to that spot, holding down W all the time. Only there i hit "the wall". I log out and back in at about -4100 and i cant ever get past -3800 or so. Log out, log back in, i am at somewhere -4100.

I could travel 2000 before and somehow at this very REPRODUCABLE position this bug hits really really hard.

See, now that's something completely different, and has nothing to do with the fact that you are in a boat. It sounds like your computer can't handle generating the terrain that's beyond that point, so the server is lagging behind. If you were travelling by land, this would be obvious due to block lag, in that picking up the rocks and sticks on the ground likely wouldn't drop the item immediately.

How much memory do you have allocated to Minecraft? Are you using any arguments to help with garbage collection? It sounds like this report is a duplicate of this bug:

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/7404-chunk-gen-crash/

I have 3g allocated and F3 tells me that not even 2G are used. Besides, it doesnt crash, i can float next to the wall forever, my position is already de-sync, but something causes my player to suddenly stay behind at this very bermuda triangle.

I do recall that i once made a trip to the equator but it was before mapwriter so i dont know if i took exactly the same lane across the ocean.

Does it only happen if you travel by boat? Can you reproduce it by just flying in that direction? Do you have fastcraft installed? The game does indeed hang a bit for me when I hit around -3800, but if I sit there for long enough, the chunks do eventually load and I can continue forward.

No fastcraft, have to check the flying approach after dinner.

How long did you wait there until the chunks appeared ? I waited 2 min or so, F3 showed 0 chunk updates, traveling left/right also didnt help, the Z coord seemed stuck

I didn't think to time it, but it couldn't have been more than maybe 5 minutes. I did F3+A a few times to refresh the chunks in front of me as well, and ran the auto-map command for JourneyMap to show that the chunks were at least loaded on that screen.

Ok, with flying there is no problem at all.

So its boats at that specific area that somehow love to get out of sync for whatever reason.

Honestly, next time i'll teleport because flying in c-mode is a joke as a workaround, sadly.

To clarify exactly what is happening here. The server is lagging when you reach that area. Because the server is lagging, it thinks that you and your boat are at a different location. Once the server stops lagging and properly catches up, it can resync the boat/player location.

In other words, you're only going to have the boat teleport issue while it is originally generating those chunks. Once the chunks are generated, you will be able to travel that area by boat with no issues.