Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Regnilse

[TFC 0.79.10] TFC Cookbook

12 posts in this topic

Reg's TFC Cookbook (WIP)

This guide is designed to assist in finding sandwich recipes that will have perfect tastes and recipes that are near perfect.  Please keep in mind that this is a personal project not a professional one, so the quality will not be superb.

This guide will be most effective if you have a master cooking skill, this is because with a master cooking skill you will be able to see the accurate relative tastes values displayed on the tool tips for the food.

Posted Image

Now we get to how to use this cookbook. This cookbook is made in a Microsoft excel macro and based off of the tastes of your foods and your taste profile the macro will generate a list of recipes which have perfect tastes and close to perfect tastes.

• [*]Download the cookbook from the link below. You will have to make sure that you have macros enabled. Excel can help you with that. [*]Open the cookbook, and enter your taste profile. [*]If you do not know your taste profile, the cookbook can help you find it, more on this later. [*]Press Ctrl-R to run the macro that will generate the list of good recipes.

That's all you have to do.

Finding you taste profile

If you don't know your taste profile the cook book can help you, but i can describe it here too.
All that is necessary is solving a few algebraic equations. Lets take an example meal and solve for Sweet,

ex. If the Sweet values for the ingredients that make a meal are, -30,-30,-20,-15 and the meal Sweet is -5. These values are relative to your Sweet profile value which is unknown, we will call it S. Therefor the actual sweet values are S-30, S-30, S-20, S-15 and S-5. because we know the ingredients must add up to the taste of the meal we can write.

(S-30)+(S-30)+(S-20)+(S-15)=(S-5)

Now by rearranging the equation to have all of the numbers on the right side and all of the S's on the left side, we get.

S+S+S+S-S=30+30+20+15-5------->3S=90

Solve for S

S=90/3=30

We have now solved for your Sweet value which is 30.

Now for the disclaimer

TFC is awesome there is so much variation in the tastes of foods, this is the biggest problem for the cookbook though, because the exact tastes of foods depends on your seed and your location in that world, the recipes that the cookbook will generate for you WILL NOT BE EXACT for everyone.

You can fix this problem by providing the actual tastes of the foods that you will be using. This can take lots of time that you may not want to commit to getting more accurate results.

Legal.. I guess, if any.

First off respect Microsoft property, don't steal excel just to use this, that's what bad people do.

As for the cookbook macro

This is all my own (horribly written) code. Feel free to edit, modify and share this with anyone who wants it, this started off because i was bored and frustrated at finding good meals and I decided why not let the community use it as well.

If you do significantly improve the code (which shouldn't be hard to do) let me know, I can put it up here and let everyone benefit from it.

Download

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ulsop2rh4mkg7wy/Reg%27s%20Cookbook.xlsm?dl=1

Please let me know how this works for you. I don't know how varied the tastes are between worlds, so it may not work as well as I want it to.

[Just reserving this for the future updates]

Hi! I think you did a great job, I was really happy to see such kind of book for TFC here and I tried to work with it. But unfortunately it's not working with my taste profile :-( I did all recommendations (meat was brined and smoked, fruits and vegetables brined and pickled) - and the result was far from perfect meal...

Maybe you can help me and explain how could it happen? My taste profile is - Sweet 46 Sour 73 Salty 77 Bitter 64 Savory 31

Thank you very much for any help.

(sorry for my english, it's not my first language :-)

P.S. Forgotten to say - my TFC version is 79.15.538

Hello, your english seems just fine to me, probably better than mine :D

Did you replace the default food tastes that comes with the cookbook with the foods from your own world?

Second question is did you get any output from the cookbook not just perfect meal, did it give any good ones?

I think .15 changed brining to make it change the tastes but that shouldn't change the cookbook if you use the new tastes.

Some days passed and I've done some work with the food situation in my TFC world :) Here is what I understood - tastes for different seeds are different, but not all of them. I compared about 20 tastes - some tastes from my world are the same as in your list. So, to get all variants of perfect (or just good) meals would take a lot of time, many hours I think, just to fill the cookbook food page... And in 79.15 we can make cheese with different tastes adding fruits and veggies to the curdled milk, what gives us really lots of meal combinations. So than, I just made a copy of my world in creative mode and tried to make a perfect meal "by hand" :) I started with random set of food (all 5 types) and than tried to change them one by one to get more interesting picture in tastes (I think I've got a small system on doing that - I can explain it here if it is interesting for anybody). After about 30 minutes I got a sandwich with 4 perfect numbers, and after about an hour after that I've got a really perfect one.

Posted Image

That perfect makes me jealous

Indeed, there are so many combinations and tastes for foods, filling the list to what it is by default took about 7 days, 2-3 hours per day to fill it, at one point I think I had 50 million different meals and for me none were perfect.

If its not to much trouble would you be able to put the foods you used in the food page and give it a quick run, just to make sure it does correctly find the meal you made.

You said some of the foods had the same tastes in your world and the list, did you get the foods in the creative menu. Because I don't think the foods from creative will be the same as the foods from your world.

Foods cheated in from creative have the default taste profile, which is exactly the same across all world seeds. Actually, world seed has absolutely nothing to do with the actual taste value of foods, it only has an effect on the taste profile of the player.

• Meat that is dropped from an animal will have a taste similar to the default values, but slightly different at completely random values.
  • Harvested crops will have a taste similar to their default values, but that is changed slightly by the pH and the drainage of where the crop was grown.
  • Fruits always have the default profile.
  • Cheese all on it's own is always the default profile. When you infuse cheese, it averages the profile between the cheese and the food you infused it with based on how much food you put in. If you make cheese with the full 20oz of food, it will taste completely like the food, and nothing like cheese.

If you combine two foods that have different tastes (like two tomatoes that were grown in different regions) it will revert to the default profile, that is identical to what you would get when you cheat it in via creative.

Interesting, I assume the taste effects from cooking, smoking, etc are semi random and therefore not predictable?

Not really, it's pretty predictable. The whole point of the new food system was to get away from the random guessing that was the old meal prep system.

So, given enough time one could determine said pattern and improves ones cookbook for the masses.

So, given enough time one could determine said pattern and improves ones cookbook for the masses.

Or you could just go look in the code for all the numbers, although at that point you're breaking the no numbers rule of this forum that is commonly used for smithing. The whole point of the food system is experimentation. If you post something that removes that experimentation and instead players just input some numbers to get perfect every time, it will be removed from this forum.

Understood, this shall be a personal project, if I get around to it.