Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
RandomASCII

Request for Assistance With Builder's Block

11 posts in this topic

I have this area in my most recent playthrough that I'm thinking of making a small house at for whenever I'm in the area. I'm not going to make it my official house because of the fact that food in the area that I spawned is barren (I spend the majority of my playthrough so far only eating seaweed because the only food I'd found so far is a patch of tomatoes and a patch of barley). However, there's a ton of the lower teir ore around the area, so I want a decent shelter in that area. Below is a picture of the area I'm working with. I'm posting this because I have absolutely no idea what to do with that area. Here's what's readily available without having to walk further than one or two kilometers as a building material:

[*]White Elm

[*]White Ceadar

[*]Hickory

[*]Quartzile (just raw and cobble for the stone types because I don't yet have a chisel. Don't let that discourage you if you have an idea that looks really good)

[*]Andesite

[*]Thatch (duh)

Posted Image

I can't make a full build for you , but if it was me i would build directly on the hill near one of it's edges ( the one with the better and clearer view) not on it's base .

Since it's a weekend getaway house , you don't have to worry too much about "space management" , so the middle-top of the hill near the edge , would be a perfect place .

It seems that in the right corner you have a natural slope from the hill too , i would build the house so it leans to it and uses it as a path , you could throw some random stone in the

ground for the looks too .

Those are my advices , i hope i helped :) .

I can't make a full build for you , but if it was me i would build directly on the hill near one of it's edges ( the one with the better and clearer view) not on it's base .Since it's a weekend getaway house , you don't have to worry too much about "space management" , so the middle-top of the hill near the edge , would be a perfect place .It seems that in the right corner you have a natural slope from the hill too , i would build the house so it leans to it and uses it as a path , you could throw some random stone in theground for the looks too . Those are my advices , i hope i helped :) .

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't expecting a complete build though. I feel like that would be too much for me to expect on the part of whoever might reply to this. Rather, I was more or less asking for advice on what materials might go good together of that list and if any design elements would work well with the location. I planned to build the house right against the edge pictured.

I find that when building it really helps to work out a color palette before you even start. From the materials you listed, and assuming you're using the default texture pack, this is what everything looks like together.

post-3005-0-36571500-1417825277_thumb.pn

Personally I think the white elm and white cedar logs look pretty good alongside the quartzite, but you would have to really make sure the green doesn't really show. The hickory logs and white cedar planks go well with the andesite. You could possibly use the hickory planks with the quartzite as a darker accent color since they both have the red tones, but you would have to be careful since it will make the building look more pink.

White elm planks are honestly one of the ugliest blocks IMO (up there with acacia), so it takes a lot of creativity and balance in order to get that icky green to blend with anything else.

I find that when building it really helps to work out a color palette before you even start. From the materials you listed, and assuming you're using the default texture pack, this is what everything looks like together.

Posted ImageColorPalette.png

Personally I think the white elm and white cedar logs look pretty good alongside the quartzite, but you would have to really make sure the green doesn't really show. The hickory logs and white cedar planks go well with the andesite. You could possibly use the hickory planks with the quartzite as a darker accent color since they both have the red tones, but you would have to be careful since it will make the building look more pink.

White elm planks are honestly one of the ugliest blocks IMO (up there with acacia), so it takes a lot of creativity and balance in order to get that icky green to blend with anything else.

Thanks for the help! It's funny you say what you did about acacia, because I forgot that I'm about 1km from an acacia forest. I don't think that color of wood really goes with anything else I've got though. I do like the way the bark on the white elm looks, so I might try something with that. I think we can all agree that willow is the ugliest wood in existence though :P

Kitty pretty much hit a the nail on the head with the advice about figuring out a colour palette before you even begin.  I think building up against the hill is a great idea, you lucked out a little with the hickory.  I think it's a great material since it goes with most anything, same goes for the white cedar.

I do tend to hop into a creative world when working out a build (Unless it's a starter box then pfffttt.) Depending how elaborate you want to be I find there is nothing wrong with a little pre-planning.

(Cause it came up) Side Note:  Poor white elm and willow getting no love, ever.  Totally decided last week after watching another Let's Play where white elm gets some hate on to build my main big house outta it with a willow roof.  It'll be tops!  :D Well least I think so. B)

Kitty pretty much hit a the nail on the head with the advice about figuring out a colour palette before you even begin.  I think building up against the hill is a great idea, you lucked out a little with the hickory.  I think it's a great material since it goes with most anything, same goes for the white cedar. I do tend to hop into a creative world when working out a build (Unless it's a starter box then pfffttt.) Depending how elaborate you want to be I find there is nothing wrong with a little pre-planning. (Cause it came up) Side Note:  Poor white elm and willow getting no love, ever.  Totally decided last week after watching another Let's Play where white elm gets some hate on to build my main big house outta it with a willow roof.  It'll be tops!  :D Well least I think so. B)

I don't think white elm is ALL bad. I really like how the bark looks.

Say hello to the ugliest house you'll ever see!

Posted Image

Say hello to the ugliest house you'll ever see!

All it needs is some carpet on the walls and you've got quite the retro style there!

Hahaha! I love it! :) Man, that wall. lol  Although I do think what you did with the pumpkin light is fantastic.  Like Kitty said it is really quite retro. B)

I think the white elm planks can be used judiciously with the white cedar planks and the andecite. The problem I have with white elm is that the planks and the bark clash - I feel like you can only use one or the other unless you're really good.