Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
bilbobuddy

More precise ore melting

11 posts in this topic

Reasonably hot ores (maybe dark red****) should be able to be crushed with a hammer or perhaps a quern into multiple 1 or 5 metal unit chunks or powder.

The metal you get from it would be the same, so for example you would get seven pieces of 5 metal unit powder from one rich ore.

This would be realistic/believable as in real life ores are generally crushed and roasted before processing.

It would make alloying simpler, as now you are stuck with the size of the ore you found, so it's kinda difficult to have them all line up at the right sizes. I don't mean for anything fancy like the ore doubling via grinding or crushing many other mods have, I just don't want to be stuck with having to make fairly precise ratios with very clumsy units of ore. Try making 1-9 ratio with 25 and 35 unit increments only.

I like the idea, but let me try and clarify it a bit. If I'm off base let me know:

• Ores are heated (giving them a 'cooked' appearance I assume)
  • Then ground in a quern
  • This results in ore dust
  • Each ore dust equals 5 units of that metal (So poor quality equals 3 dust etc.)
  • You gain no metal from this process, only simplicity of smelting

Questions:

• Can you do this to iron, if so what purpose would it serve?
  • What stack size would you recommend for the dust? 32? 64? 128? 
  • How much time does cooking take?
  • What quantity of heat does dust pull from a crucible?

Thank you, LiesTECH

Pretty close. I didn't really mean for the process to be one way or another I just wanted the ability to make them into workable sized pieces so I could line up the metal units into something that was actually an alloy. 

1 Yep, but the cooked appearance doesn't really matter to me.

2 Whether they get hammered or put in a quern only really depends on balance, as querns require copper (at least) chisels, while hammers require stone. But yeah this is right.

3 Yep

4 Yeppers

5 Yepperdiddlydoodles

Questions

1 Yeah I guess, for uniformity or compatibility maybe. It might be useful for blast furnaces in some circumstances.

2 max I would think because you would get a lot of dust from the ores.

3 30~ seconds maybe. I haven't thought about this xD

4 I've got no idea. I've only used a crucible once or twice, and I didn't even notice that things pull heat from crucibles.

Thanks for the feedback, this is the first time I've given any of my ideas to a community of any sort. :D

I'm assuming the primary reason that you are having difficulty making ores is because you are trying to make really small batches? I would strongly suggest that you try making larger batches of ore in your vessels, as it makes alloying a lot easier. There are also applications available to help you calculate alloying, so you can make sure that you use the optimum amount of a specific ore.

http://infinitepossibilitygames.com/TFCAlloyCalc/

While some specific combinations such as 10% / 90% are indeed difficult, remember that you do not have to get exactly that percentage. It is a range, and anything within that range is going to work, which makes it a lot easier to come up with combinations.

As for super precision alloying, once you have a crucible you can use liquid unshaped ingots to add metal to the mixture 1 unit at a time. Just place the liquid temperature unshaped ingot (it doesn't even have to be full) in the crucible, and it will slowly add the metal one unit at a time. Then just take it out of the input slot once it's added enough.

I'm assuming the primary reason that you are having difficulty making ores is because you are trying to make really small batches? I would strongly suggest that you try making larger batches of ore in your vessels, as it makes alloying a lot easier. There are also applications available to help you calculate alloying, so you can make sure that you use the optimum amount of a specific ore.

http://infinitepossibilitygames.com/TFCAlloyCalc/

While some specific combinations such as 10% / 90% are indeed difficult, remember that you do not have to get exactly that percentage. It is a range, and anything within that range is going to work, which makes it a lot easier to come up with combinations.

As for super precision alloying, once you have a crucible you can use liquid unshaped ingots to add metal to the mixture 1 unit at a time. Just place the liquid temperature unshaped ingot (it doesn't even have to be full) in the crucible, and it will slowly add the metal one unit at a time. Then just take it out of the input slot once it's added enough.

Yep, I generally make batches only as big as I am going to need in the very near future, often 100, sometimes 200 metal units.

I haven't done any math, which might be a good idea for this, but you would have to get much much higher than one or two tool heads for a difference of 2% to come into play.I meant this more before you have the crucible, as the crucible pretty much solves this problem. 

For clarification I just wanted this as a solution to the problem I was having, and I would be okay with something as simple as decreasing how fast the liquid metal is poured out, I just thought the idea of having the ores ground up and roasted was nice because it allows for more flexibility and it mimics real life, while also not increasing tedium (I hope) and providing balance.

Cheers kitty :D 

Keep in mind that before the crucible, you do also have the smaller 10 unit pieces for the more precise alloying at the very start, which are extremely easy to use in calculations.

Is there any specific reason why you are making such small batches? If anything, you are wasting the straw and the logs considering you can smelt almost 22 ingots at once in a single small vessel using rich ores. You can also melt ingots back down to cast them if you are worried about that. Also keep in mind that there is really no reason to ever worry about making batches that are exact multiples of 100, since you can just keep the leftover metal in a single unshaped ingot, and each time you make a new batch, you add on to the leftovers until you end up with another ingot. At any given point in time, the only "excess" of an alloy that you would ever have is less than an ingots worth, so it is hardly wasteful.

Except that remelting a large batch of once liquid metal that you didn't use because you didn't need all of it in the first place "wastes" straw and logs (which are easy to get), you are totally right. I should start doing that with the whole single leftover unshaped ingot thing.

I was thinking that this seemed to me like it was a pretty big problem for the early metal age, and nobody else had mentioned it, so I thought that there might be something I was doing wrong.

I still kind of like the idea of having to roast/ crush ores though.

Or you don't use straw at all, and turn your logs into charcoal, which can be used in a forge to quickly heat up 5 ingots all at once, and barely uses up any fuel at all. Just pull all of the ingots out of the vessel as soon as its liquid, and whatever you have left over put in an ingot pile ready to be used for your next tool. You also don't have to wait around for the 8 in-game hours to pass for the pit kiln to finish, and you don't have to worry about it solidifying and having to be completely refired from cold while you are using it.

honestly, i think you should still be able to do what op initially wanted, granules would also remove much less heat (in total) from the crucible as they're much smaller size, so you'd be left with more heat after adding 25 units in as granules rather than adding one regular bit of ore worth 25 units. It'd also shut up the bunch that are jibberjabbing after coins, at least a little bit

honestly, i think you should still be able to do what op initially wanted, granules would also remove much less heat (in total) from the crucible as they're much smaller size, so you'd be left with more heat after adding 25 units in as granules rather than adding one regular bit of ore worth 25 units. It'd also shut up the bunch that are jibberjabbing after coins, at least a little bit

I'm confused. Why would you put granules in a crucible. Once you have a crucible the problem is solved...