Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Pwnlord

Does Fastcraft help with chunk generation lag?

15 posts in this topic

That's literally the only part of TFC that gives me problems at this point.

Combat? A-OK! Animal breeding? A-OK! Metallurgy, forging, pottery, farming, eating, drinking...no problems.

Chunk Generation? Hope you're not exploring at night, because you're getting four or five seconds of complete nonresponsiveness!

Yes, which is why we recommend you install it on our downloads page.

I have it and it makes a world of difference.  Least for me it is quite noticeable when I don't have fastcraft.

Any problems with crashing? It warns me accordingly on their forum post, but no one here's mentioned anything of the sort.

The only reports of crashing with fastcraft that I have seen is if you are using shaders, as the two are not compatible.

No, the only time I had a crash was when I had an up to date install of shaders and Fastcraft 1.9.  Which was solved by removing shaders since I can't actually play MC with them and only use them for screenshots.

For anyone wondering, using shaders 2.3.22 causes no conflict with Fastcraft, more recent version makes Fastcraft crash.

Source:

http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&postID=170922#post170922

Edit: Fastcraft has been updated with support for Shaders 2.3.28 just yesterday!

http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&postID=176778#post176778

Fastcraft improved chunk generation by a good 40-50% for me... however I find that some minimaps also cause major lag during chunk generation.  

Fastcraft improved chunk generation by a good 40-50% for me... however I find that some minimaps also cause major lag during chunk generation.  

... which ones?

Journeymap is known to cause issues for some, depending on how you have it configured. I guess MapWriter and any map mod with a persistent map could have some issues as it saves its own region file for map render, but I've not personally had any issues.

If you're having issues with Journeymap and chunk loading, I strongly suggest turning off the webmap if you aren't using it. Journeymap will cause issues because it is not only saving the region to a persistent map, it is also uploading that map to a webserver and constantly updating it. By turning off the webmap when you aren't using it, you cut down on processing.

... which ones?

I tried 4-5 different minimaps in the last week trying to find the one I preferred...  I saw more lag with MapWriter, Voxel and JourneyMap compared to Zan (and another one I presently cannot recall the name of)...  however I think JourneyMap is the nicest so I am still using this one at the moment.  

If you're having issues with Journeymap and chunk loading, I strongly suggest turning off the webmap if you aren't using it. Journeymap will cause issues because it is not only saving the region to a persistent map, it is also uploading that map to a webserver and constantly updating it. By turning off the webmap when you aren't using it, you cut down on processing.

When I launch the game, it says the webmap is disabled but I never actually checked the options to confirm.   Thanks for the tip, Ill try that tonight.  

Voxel and Zan's are literally the exact same map, just with two different names depending on which pack it is being used in. I'm guessing you meant Rei's?

Voxel and Zan's are literally the exact same map, just with two different names depending on which pack it is being used in. I'm guessing you meant Rei's?

You are right, I get confused at times.      

An update on my case: I have kept using JourneyMap and somehow the lag is much better now even though I just went on a long exploration trip in new chunks... The lag was really noticeable only for the first (and possibly 2nd) day I used the minimap.

I can confirm it absolutely does help. Hadn't used it in the past and this issue was basically unbearable. I recently upgraded to all the latest versions of everything and even added an SSD drive to my setup. I honestly forgot that it was ever even an issue. I have not had a single dip in frame rate for more than a split second while generating terrain, and I'm also using JourneyMap (webserver off).  :)