Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
kev12east

Ore Generation Addon?

11 posts in this topic

This is a suggestion/request for a possible addon to enhance the compatibility of TFC with other mods. I propose that an addon be created that allows users to dynamically create ores for generation within TFC. This could be done via a config file similar to TFCOre.cfg. Also, it would be nice if users could create textures for the ore (the way TFC ores work, from what I understand, is that the ore block has a texture that is underlayed by the surrounding stones texture) because vanilla stone does not blend in at all with TFC stone.

Example: 

Naquadah = {

Texture = image.jpg  ---a overlay for the surrounding stones texture, located in a folder created in either the mods, config, or minecraft folder

itemToDrop = mod:mod.itemExample ---the item to be dropped when the ore is mined

itemsToDrop = 1 ---the amount of items to be dropped

stone type = andestie; diorite; [igneous extruded] ---time of stone(s) to spawn in

h.Density = 20 ---Horizontal density of ore vein

v.Density = 10 ---vertical density of ore vein

minHeight = 5 ---minimum eight the ore will spawn

maxHeight = 80 ---Maximum height ore will spawn

rarity = 75 ---rarity of ore vein 

size = 30 ---maximum amount of ore to be spawned in a single vein

prosName = "Foreign Ore" ---the message that shows up when prospecting, i.e. "found traces of foreign ore"

}

The last part might be unnecessary, as the user could go through TFC's custom gen.

I apologize for  the strange writing, I had a hard time conveying the idea, but I hope the example will clarify. Also, I recognize that most people probably wont use this, but it will be extremely helpful to those that do, especially since TFC can not handle custom NBT for ores AFAIK.

Anyways, just putting this idea out there :)

As far as I'm aware you can do this within the TFCOre.cfg. Just add in the ore you want. I'm in the process of doing this myself, but haven't finished the config yet. I'm going to be using PFAA ores, many of which blend with surrounding stone. The blending of the ore and underlying stone is dependent on the mod whose blocks you are using, not TFC. In a pinch you can use CustomOreGen, GT ores are TEs so don't work with TFCOre.cfg.

Gregtech is the main reason why I wrote this,  there are probably other mods that use tile entities for the ores. Not only that, but not all mods like TFCs genning of them. I was also hoping that something this would fix that.

I wouldn't count on getting support on how GT spawns ores now since he is the only own who does this in that manner. COG was even reluctant and only did so out of interest of one of devs. However GT is compatible with PFAA ores and the two mods have worked towards compatibility.

Per Fabrica Ad Astra, but the only module working at the moment is geologica (with a start on chemica with the petroleum stuff). They have a similar realistic, with gameplay consideration, goal as TFC. 

Will have to check that out, but still, having the ability to create custom ores would be nice.

Well I've had terrible luck trying to get ores to gen with the TFCOre.cfg. I can get vanilla iron (as test) to gen, but no luck with PFAA and so far no luck with RC (although this may be due to conditionals in RC). I'll let you know if I sort it out, likely there will be a thread in support once I sort out what does and doesn't work.

Cool, thanks. Currently looking into using custom ore generation, but that ignore TFC rock layers all together. I'd be interested to see what you come up with, as I have also ran into huge snags with TFCOre.cfg. We could compare notes.

But this brings me back to why I made this request/suggestion, if we didn't have to deal with the mods ores at all, and just the item they dropped, it would be a lot simpler.

Well some past lessons have comeback to help me involving the order java loads mods and hence classes. I've solved the main problem with TFCOre.cfg for me. Basically TFC and its configs were loading first, due to starting with [1.7.10]. If I removed this then TFC loads after the other mods whose blocks I was trying to generate. With that change I'm able to generate the ores I want using TFCOre.cfg.

Since when was MC skyrim? Meh, thanks for the info, hopefully that fixes the problem. 

Also, updated OP to set custom message for prospector's pick