Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Crysyn

Only help if you can be helpful

Hey All, A topic has come up of late in the IRC channel in regards to the general feel of the forums and the community that supports them. Things have progressed further than I would have liked with out this being addressed more publicly because I would much rather have snubbed this out sooner rather than later.. but I have been busy. Here is the general rule I would like people to follow: Wheaton's Law "Don't be a dick." Those of you from the IRC channel know that this is the only rule I ask people in there to follow and we generally have a good and lively time chatting about all manner of things. This is basic rule that just about everyone understands and I am going to expand it to the forums from here moving forward. If you can not help people in a helpful and polite manner then I simply ask you to stop. Now I generally take a back seat to moderating the forums as I like to participate in the suggestions forum fairly heavily at times and would rather do so as a forums user than a moderator. But I am also fairly well known for being the person who constantly puts their foot down and so I am stepping up and doing so on here. If you find yourself unable to respond to a message politely then I ask that you do not respond. This mostly focuses on the increasing level of hostility found within the Suggestion forum as well as the Server forum. I do not care if this is the 30th some odd time you have seen someone make the same suggestion. Or even if the new post on an older topic is one entry above the old one. I expect the members of this forum to respond politely to the user, new or old, and point to the older topic if it applies and even go the extra step to suggest they either add in new information or to summarize the outcome of the previous discussion based upon the new post's entry into it. That is what we are here for, that is why I close most topics instead of deleting them, so that they can be found and referenced down the road. The next topic is the slew of derailment attempts I have seen as of late. If you want to have fun and joke around that is what the off topic forum is for and pretty much anything goes there. I do not expect to read a suggestion thread and have to go through 3 pages of image memes people have shot back and forth. Quite simply this is a waste of my time to read and then have to clean up. Now for the summary. I am going to start taking a more active role, especially in policing the suggestion forum, and handing out warn levels to people whom I see doing this. These will be indiscriminate and applied not to just the first person who derails or is impolite on a topic or response, but to everyone whom follows the lead of that person. As I do not like doing things with out giving you all warning this post shall serve as that warning. If you have a desire to bring this topic up with me then I invite you to do so on the IRC channel. Lets raise the level of quality and grow the community. Let us not descend into the quality often found on the minecraft or league of legend forums. There is simply no need for that here. Be passionate about things, just do not be abusive.
    • Kittychanley

Offline Servers

Recently I've seen a few server listings showing up on the first page of the Servers forum that have been closed for an extended period of time, but have recently gotten a reply from a new member who didn't realize the server is offline. To help prevent this from happening in the future, it would be greatly appreciated if you could use the report function on the original post of any servers that have been confirmed as offline, so that the topic may be locked. If you are the admin of a server and plan on taking the server offline, please use the report function on the original post of your topic to let the TFC Staff know that the topic should be locked. If you are the admin of a server that has a locked topic, and would wish to bring the server back online, please use the report function on the original post of the topic to let the TFC Staff know that the topic should be unlocked. As always, please remember to follow rule #3 of the servers forum and update your topic title to contain the version of TFC that the server is currently running. You can do so by editing the OP, and then clicking on "Use Full Editor."
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soulion

animals breed naturally

9 posts in this topic

This might make TFC more believable than having them pop up out of no where,also i find it rediculous to have the sheep like me before they like eachother

I'm pretty sure this would in the end be a very bad idea.  I recall the horse apocalypse where every female horse spawned pregnant I think even when born a female horse would be pregnant.  Creating a lot of lag on servers.  Horses everywhere.  Your suggestion would multiple that ten-fold, in my SSP I have many wild animals in the area around me (Pigs/Wolves/Deer/Horses) Where 2 or 3 pigs become 8-12, then next year 20-60. (Assuming 1 female pig to start then a small litter of 8 pigs with half of them being female.)

The game would become unplayable.

As for the second point, I honestly like the additional game play mechanic adding another layer to animal care and maintenance.

what if there where limitations as to how many animals of a certain species could be in one region, and they would breed until they just overpass that limit and then stop. 

or maybe an animal only breeds once every spring, and population was kept down by wolves and bears as well as the player.

an interesting mechanic would be animals dying of natural causes or disease to keep population down.

of course the player could still breed them himself if he wanted a big farm of them. 

animals can die of starvation,and im also saying the predators will breed as well,keeping the population down,but its unbelievable that a species has to depend on steve to actually survive,and must love him before they love each other

I'm pretty sure animals can't die of starvation and there is no guarantee that a predator will also spawn nearby.  I don't disagreeing with the principal of the thing, wild animals should be able to breed in order to be believable/realistic however I simply feel/think it will break the game.

To princeofmadness, there is already a limit written into the vanilla code.  The Disappearing Sheep See Kitty's posts.

Edit: It just occurred to me you might mean to add a mechanic to allow animals to die of starvation, that would create other problems. What if you can't find grain? What if you just have very little grain, only enough to feed 1 animal? If you have a large farm how do you make sure you've actually feed all your animals?  You could easily find yourself in a tough spot early game with as few as 2 animals.

It's talked about here Animal Feeding Trough briefly I think.  This sums up my thoughts on the matter of 'animal hunger'

make animal hunger important but not devastating.

But that is a whole other topic.

I like this idea not because of the reason you gave, but because it would allow players to utilize hunting as a more reliable method rather than having animals spawn. It would encourage the player to take note of packs of animals. However, unloaded chunks may inhibit animals breeding in the wilderness away from the player.All in all, it would work great if it was a large area that was repopulated over a course of time

Not sure how this would be feasible in a world that loads and unloads the way MC does. Bioxx has mentioned that he would like to introduce animal migrations.

I'm pretty sure animals can't die of starvation and there is no guarantee that a predator will also spawn nearby.  I don't disagreeing with the principal of the thing, wild animals should be able to breed in order to be believable/realistic however I simply feel/think it will break the game.

To princeofmadness, there is already a limit written into the vanilla code.  The Disappearing Sheep See Kitty's posts.

Edit: It just occurred to me you might mean to add a mechanic to allow animals to die of starvation, that would create other problems. What if you can't find grain? What if you just have very little grain, only enough to feed 1 animal? If you have a large farm how do you make sure you've actually feed all your animals?  You could easily find yourself in a tough spot early game with as few as 2 animals.

It's talked about here Animal Feeding Trough briefly I think.  This sums up my thoughts on the matter of 'animal hunger'

But that is a whole other topic.

i'm not talking about vanilla mechanics as far as how many can exist, i'm talking about a limit as to how many times they breed on their own before population reaches a reasonable point.

and for natural causes i mean old age and disease not necessarily starvation, but that too could add an interesting mechanic like say during the winter some of them die off because there isn't enough tall grass for them to eat or something.

His point about vanilla mechanics is that there are some limits due to the way vanilla works and is coded.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0