Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Xabedo

Better coal

21 posts in this topic

Soo I was thinking when I was mining lignite coal and using it and I said why don't we get better coal and you will probably say how? And i will tell you that in real life there is 3 types of coal they are.

1. Lignite: it got 70% of Carbon and it burns fast and don't last long untill it turns cold and it's the cheapest coal

2.Bituminous coal: it got 80% of Carbon and it burns for fast and it last longer than lignite and it's the best coal because it's better than lignite and easy to get

3.Anthracite: it got 90% of carbon and it burns for a long time and it's the best coal you can find and its the most expensive coal because it's not that common like lignite and bituminous coal.

Soo what I want is to change the coal and make it better with all the specifications that I said

Please

First, I'd like to mention that coal is not actually very necessary. Do to the nature of this mod, it is too uncommon to rely on as a source of fuel, as charcoal is the preferred, and most interactive of the two. As it is, the only change that oiiwould be wortwhile is to either downright require it for steel, or significantly benefit the processes using it (ie, considerable bonus efficiency when making iron blooms, or steel smelting) At the moment, coal is not actually that useful. Now, it might become staple to the game once some form of automation comes into play....

Who knows? But I doubt that coal will get much love anyway. In vanilla, it's overly abundant, in TFC, not so much

I certainly have not found coal particularly uncommon and use it exclusively as a fuel source for my forges. The deposits are so large that one will supply your fuel needs for a long time.

As for using in iron or steel production. Coal is very impure and of variable quality. That is why charcoal is used in steel production. The only way for coal to be used in steel/iron production is by cooking it to coke. This practice didn't happen in Europe until around the 16th century in part kicking off the industrial revolution. Of course like most things it was occurring in China much earlier.

Having different fuel values for different coals is interesting, but would require each to drop a unique item/meta value. Easier way would be to adjust the drop rate of the ore, quantity dropped per ore and probabilities.

I want that because I want coal to stay burning longer because in real life Anthracite burn much longer than lignite

Natesky9 is right. Coal is mainly used to smelt ores before tier3 in the crucible (bismuth, copper, zinc, gold, silver), other than that you need charcoal to work the bloom.

3 kind of coal doesn't really matter and won't bring that much new gameplay perspective.

Oh ok then and let's wait untill a staff see it maybe he/she will like the idea

I don't want TFC to be realistic I just wanted to make coal more interesting......

It might be more interesting for you, but think about other players. Considering that coal is only used a fuel in forges, and nothing else, are players really going to find it all that interesting to have 3 items with essentially the exact same use just with different names? With the amount of coal that players do go through when they find it, differences in burning temperature and time really aren't going to make that much of a difference, especially since the current difference between charcoal and coal is already pretty much ignored.

By the way. When I am using the Pro Pick and I find Coal it sometimes says that it finds Lignite or Bituminous Coal. I don't know if there is a difference once you mine them or if it is just using the terms interchangeably.

Considering we have variations in hardness of rocks and corresponding durability, maybe something similar for coal would be interesting, too? I also like the idea of transitioning the kids from Vanilla through to the more complex in an understandable way. 

That's just my two cents! (whoops, we don't have pennies anymore ... lols).

Anna

That hardness is literally only ever applied when making stone tools though. It does not show in any other aspect of the game (harder raw stone blocks don't take any longer to break). And honestly? the difference in durability is so negligible that very few players actually take it into account when making their stone tools. It really doesn't add anything to gameplay at all other than "oh that's neat" and taking up more itemIDs.

Well since my thread apparently broke rule 1 even though I followed it, here's my suggestion:

All coals would place like snow/charcoal. When placed, they could turn into a forge or be recovered with right click.

When mining the ore you get the actual mineral, acting as the coal. From best to worst: jet, lignite, charcoal, bituminous, anthracite.

You can place a coal block and light it to form a forge already. The concept of the different types of coal has been addressed in this thread. All it adds is bulk, not gameplay.

I know you can, I'm just suggesting it be more like charcoal. And doesn't basically everything add bulk?

I agree at the moment this wouldn't enhance gameplay, like Kitty said it would be neat. Don't get me wrong I like neat things but I think the devs should be focusing on gameplay or TFC2 instead.

I didn't realize that someone had necro-ed this thread...disregard what I said as it was in responds of posts made 6 months ago on this thread.

Edited by Powerman913717

Things that add new interesting things are worth the added code and load. Thing that just add stuff are just fat that slow the game and eat dev time. What is value of placing coal in that manner? What new gameplay options does it add? TFC is a processing heavy mod and there is no value adding things just because.

This post is 6 months old -.- WHY THE HECK ARE YOU GUYS HERE JUS FORGET ABOUT ITS POST

Can a staff lock it for me please......

I am staff and there isn't a need to lock at this time . Your can unfollow thread to not get notifications.

This post is 6 months old -.- WHY THE HECK ARE YOU GUYS HERE JUS FORGET ABOUT ITS POST

Because I suggested the same thing, was linked to it and yelled at for not following Rule 1 even though i did, and added my opinions to this thread.

There is really no need to add more coal. Finding a kapok, sequoia, or acacia forest makes large large fire pits very easy to do. You can easily get 10+ stacks from a big pit. Although charcoal is taken up easily, this is not a problem