Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
MonolithicBizkit

Prospecting and ore levels help

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

Just getting into TFC. Super fun :D

I'm having a heck of a time location a Hematite deposit though. I found a "very large sample" and proceeded to mine for several hours but just cannot locate it for some reason. I'm doing basic "triangulation", and have dug up and down several levels.

Im at level 108, but have dug down to 100 and up to 115. Any pointers?

Thanks!

If you haven't watched my prospecting video already, you really should. When you say that you are doing basic "triangulation" what exactly are you doing? The easy way is to dig until the reading changes from "very large sample" to something smaller, and mark the point. Then turn around and dig in the opposite direction until the reading changes again. Find the midpoint between those two spots, then turn 90 degrees and do the exact same thing in the perpendicular direction. Once you've found all 4 "edges" where the reading changes, go to the very center and the vein will be either directly above you ore below you.

This is not necessarily the most efficient method of triangulation, but unless you are familiar with the math concepts for the other methods, this is the easiest.

Hi Kitty. Ya that's exactly what I've been doing, but in a slightly less formal way haha. 

Thanks for the vid, will check it now :)

Could you point me in the direction regarding ore spawn? Are there certain levels where certain ores are more likely to be found?

Thanks!

No. The level at which ore spawns is entirely dependent on the height of the terrain around you, and there is no easy way to get an exact height.

I have not yet played TFC in 1.7.10, but in the previous version there were /some/ instances of (and I think Pakratt encountered this on his last TFC Tuesday stream) 'ore veins' that were very... 'sparse'.  The density of individual blocks of ore was nice enough, but the overall density (closeness) of ore within the world was not worth recovering the material.

Sometimes you 'find' the location, but it isn't the kind of vein you're looking for.

I have not yet played TFC in 1.7.10, but in the previous version there were /some/ instances of (and I think Pakratt encountered this on his last TFC Tuesday stream) 'ore veins' that were very... 'sparse'.  The density of individual blocks of ore was nice enough, but the overall density (closeness) of ore within the world was not worth recovering the material.

Sometimes you 'find' the location, but it isn't the kind of vein you're looking for.

That pro pick does like to troll us!