Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
cjworks

AGRICULTURE - GRAFTING

9 posts in this topic

Given the difficulty of finding fruit trees and the space required to plant orchards, why not consider grafting being somehow implemented to circumvent this? 

Grafting has been around for centuries and helped made agriculture what it is today. This could be a skill which would become acquirable upon reaching a certain level of prowess in the Agriculture Skill. Eventually, based on the fruit free family, we could create a "master tree" that produces multiples fruit and at multiple intervals. To prevent this from becoming OP, we could prevent saplings from being taking from the "Master Tree". In foresight, I anticipate that more fruit trees will be implemented to properly populate the various biomes.

Personally living in Jamaica, I must say that exotic vegetation in the warmer regions is lacking - Only bananas? Citrus originates from the Mediterranean. What about Mangoes, Papayas, Coconuts, Pineapples, Guavas, Jackfruit, Tamarind, Passion Fruit, Lychee, Avocado, Breadfruit, Cacao, Custard Apple, Rose Apple, Dragon Fruit, Star Fruit, etc

Anyways back to focus, we could look at this video for a better idea of what Im saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9EuJ9QlikY#t=96

Lets discuss.

I am not sure I understand...  I get grafting in real life but what would it bring to TFC?    Is the master tree producing more than regular fruit tree?   Does it give different fruit on different branches?

I would like some more variety in the fruit trees as you suggest: Mango would be nice... coconut could be interesting with a setup like cocoa beans (and maybe it drops a regen potion or "water jug" instead of food...  a pineapple tree would look super sweet.

A single tree from say the citrus family could produce lemons, limes, grapefruits or oranges on different sections of the tree during the respective seasons

yeah. this would add a lot of depth and make agriculture even more fun. We could take a branch/sapling off of a tree and with enough agricultural skill replace a branch on another tree with the sapling, and cross our fingers and hope it works, we could also time it with the seasons. we could also use this as a gateway to potions, as it kindof makes sense. Do the devs still think fantasy has a place in tfc? cause if they do then this seems like a good way to do potions.

I am not sure I understand...  I get grafting in real life but what would it bring to TFC?    Is the master tree producing more than regular fruit tree?   Does it give different fruit on different branches?

I would like some more variety in the fruit trees as you suggest: Mango would be nice... coconut could be interesting with a setup like cocoa beans (and maybe it drops a regen potion or "water jug" instead of food...  a pineapple tree would look super sweet.

awkwardmoment, you are about to have an awkward moment because pineapple don't grow on trees. Contrary to popular belief they do not grow on palm trees like coconuts do, they grow on the ground as a sort of  like single stalked shrub. Google it. But I agree; Grafting a pineapple tree into existance would be AWESOME. But not possible Because you need two trees to graft them together

Being an owner of two Kiwi trees that need to be grafted AND pruned yearly I must strongly suggest these mechanics be implemented somehow. Say you have an apple tree that produced ALOT of fruit that season, well next season it's gonna produce less because the branches are older. Each year I MUST prune my Tree's branches back or else I won't get as much fruit as I did the previous year. I also need to consantly graft the assholes so they don't over take the house. Oh! and can you add Kiwi fruit in with your list of missing fruits?

ya, this might be a nice way to help balance the production from fruit trees. I know Kitty was going to look in to decreasing how much fruit you get from them, this might help with that.

ya, this might be a nice way to help balance the production from fruit trees. I know Kitty was going to look in to decreasing how much fruit you get from them, this might help with that.

0.79.15 Change Log

• Naturally generated fruit trees now have the same number of leaves as player grown fruit trees. Tweaked hitbox of fruit tree branches to make it easier to harvest saplings and fruit. Fruit can now be harvested from leaves using left or right click. Nerfed amount of fruit each leaf blocks drops to 4 - 16 ounces.

can there please be a way to have crab apples and yellow apples?

can there please be a way to have crab apples and yellow apples?

Why? Out of all the fruits, there's already 2 apples, and out of all the categories, fruit already has the highest variety of things to eat.