Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Saberwulfy

Share your livestock knowledge

16 posts in this topic

I am actually using trapdoors to separate animals for slaughter, and fence gates for attract to centre. I use a rope to remove the chosen for the 2 blocks depth hole under the trapdoors.

My corral is actually:

====================   =  brick walls

= xx                       =   x  trap door

= xx   = [  fence gate

=   =====   =

=   [   ]   =

=   =====   =

=   =

=   =

====================

I have problems with:

• animals trying to scape by fence gates.
  • animals getting stuck in my walls.
  • identify a a full growth for rooster for slaughter.
  • slaughter a chicken amid many.
  • get wool without iron for scissors.
  • know the best effective way to slaughter.

Please share your tactics to handle with your livestock!

I will list what has worked for me, my responses will be in purple.

• animals trying to escape by fence gates. - Dig one or more blocks down. Place a ladder under a gate and you can climb out leaving the animals inside.
  • animals getting stuck in my walls. - If you dig one deep place additional fencing inside the pen. I used to do this, but lately I've not encountered any issues.
  • identify a a full growth for rooster for slaughter. - Unable to suggest anything.
  • slaughter a chicken amid many. - Unable to really suggest anything. You could always leash the chicken or rooster away from the rest and then kill it.
  • get wool without iron for scissors. - A stone knife works perfectly fine, no need for shears. Once you gain enough familiarity you will be able gather wool with a knife.
  • know the best effective way to slaughter. - I have always fished or killed octopus to build up my butchery skill. I am under the impression that building your butchery increases slaughter output.

-Identifying a rooster for slaughter: Set a nest box and check if the eggs are fertilized. I suggest having a seperate room for this (roost)

-Slaughter a chicken amid many: Crushing system, using cobblestone to suffocate them and pillars to activate them

-Know the best effective way to slaughter: A crushing system ^^^

-Identifying a rooster for slaughter: Set a nest box and check if the eggs are fertilized. I suggest having a seperate room for this (roost)

-Slaughter a chicken amid many: Crushing system, using cobblestone to suffocate them and pillars to activate them

-Know the best effective way to slaughter: A crushing system ^^^

Crushed animals don't drop any meat in 79, so that's pretty much the worst way to slaughter.

Darn it. Overlooked that one... Then drowning? Unless that doesn't work either... 

Darn it. Overlooked that one... Then drowning? Unless that doesn't work either... 

The only way that an animal will drop meat is if it is killed by something with a butchering skill. Water has no butchering skill, so drowning will drop no meat.

• animals getting stuck in my walls.
  • identify a a full growth for rooster for slaughter.
  • slaughter a chicken amid many.
  • get wool without iron for scissors.
  • know the best effective way to slaughter.

Solutions:

• Lure your animals away from the fence gates using grain before you leave. Or use a ladder to exit, which animals cannot climb.
  • This is a vanilla issue and there is no solution. You can put a fence post in the middle of the pen and tie them all to it via rope to keep them away from walls, or you can make your walls out of a non-suffocating block, like glass.
  • Use a mod like Damage Indicators. It will say "Baby Chicken" if it is too young, and "Chicken" if it is old enough.
  • Lure the chicken away from the group using a rope.
  • Use a stone knife once the sheep is familiar enough. The only difference between a knife and a shears is that shears gives double the wool.
  • Get your butchering skill up by fishing, or killing squid. The only way to effectively kill an animal so that it drops meat is to kill it yourself by either using your hands or a weapon. Find a weapon that deals enough damage to kill the animal in 1 hit, and make sure your butchering skill is high. That is the only "effectiveness" that there is to slaughtering.

Would using a bow count as a means of slaughtering?

Would using a bow count as a means of slaughtering?

Yes. But since arrows bounce off of mobs, I wouldn't use a bow unless you plan on killing a bunch of the animals in that small area.

Possibly isolate them into a slaughter house? Or a killing pen?

Possibly isolate them into a slaughter house? Or a killing pen?

Why not use an axe? That is the traditional Chicken killing instrument. A stone axe kills chickens in one whack. You could also wait until night when your chickens are roosting if you have really bad aim.

Sounds barbaric and crude... Perfect for caveman times :D

For the butchery, I find that breeding a lot of pigs or loads of chicken then slaughtering them all works fine. Fishing or squid-killing is more resource-friendly, but once you get a nice farm, it's not much of a worry anyways, and other then pigs and chicken breeding like, well, pigs and chickens, they are also easier to kill and gather drops from then squids and is faster and a gives a lot more meat than fishing. 

If you use fence for a fencing, it tends to stop mobs suffocating in walls. Or just right-click with a chisel to turn them into non-solid blocks. Or leash them all to the center.

Also, I find animals a lot easier to tow when you're holding grain as they actually go along with your dragging. Kinda useless in a pen full of animals though...

which the distance a rooster needs to be from a chicken for not fertilize the eggs?

I have problems with:

I build a 2-high fence.  Usually a bottom fence made of some sort of stone, then a 2nd layer made of whatever plentiful tree is nearby.

If you roughly consider a block to be 3 feet, then it makes sense. Most animals wouldn't be stopped by a 3-foot fence in my experience.  Cows, sheep, chickens and horse would certainly ignore it.  I haven't raised pigs RL, but I've seen a few boars that would laugh at a 3-foot obstacle.

which the distance a rooster needs to be from a chicken for not fertilize the eggs?

6 blocks in the X/Z direction, 3 blocks in the Y direction.