Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
stringburka

Is there any up to date tutorial/guide?

15 posts in this topic

So, I've been away from TFC (and minecraft in general) for many months, and lots have changed. Playing a few other games (esp Neo Scavenger) got me into the mood for some hardcore survival minecraft with TFC, to make it into a real survival game, but I'm kinda stumped since I have no idea what to do whatsoever now. So much has changed since I last played I don't really know where to begin anymore - My first two tries I starved to death without having found any source of food at all, now on my third I spawned next to three cows so I think I'll have food fixed for a while... But with no source of fresh water.

Since I can no longer make buckets without getting forging going, and since there's no food I can bring along, I really have no idea how to survive even the first few nights.

Add to this that most info on the wiki seems to be out of date or highly technical, and I'm now in a situation where I really don't know what to do.

So, is there any up to date guides, or lets plays, or anything similar that you recommend? Thanks for any answers!

[...]Add to this that most info on the wiki seems to be out of date or highly technical, and I'm now in a situation where I really don't know what to do.So, is there any up to date guides, or lets plays, or anything similar that you recommend? Thanks for any answers!

There is a bunch of videos listed in the Videos section of the forum that can help.And the Change Log (link in the Downloads menu above) can be used as a hint to complement the Wiki.

There is a bunch of videos listed in the Videos section of the forum that can help.And the Change Log (link in the Downloads menu above) can be used as a hint to complement the Wiki.

Thanks, I've checked those and found some, but it's kinda hard slogging through the changelog to try to find ideas on how to survive, especially since it's probably about 20 builds ago I last started a TFC world.

Got any tips on early options for food? I only seem to find seeds, though hunting seems to be an option if I'm lucky and spawn near to animals. You seem to starve to death in about 24 hours, which IMO seems a bit too harsh... A heavy debuff sure, but it seems you should survive at least 2-3 days without food.

Any tips for fresh water other than lakes? Should I just haste towards getting ceramic vessels up for collecting rain water and hope for rain before I thirst to death?

EDIT: Just found Dunk's b79 let's play. That looks like it will be very informational.

Thanks, I've checked those and found some, but it's kinda hard slogging through the changelog to try to find ideas on how to survive, especially since it's probably about 20 builds ago I last started a TFC world.

Got any tips on early options for food? I only seem to find seeds, though hunting seems to be an option if I'm lucky and spawn near to animals. You seem to starve to death in about 24 hours, which IMO seems a bit too harsh... A heavy debuff sure, but it seems you should survive at least 2-3 days without food.

Any tips for fresh water other than lakes? Should I just haste towards getting ceramic vessels up for collecting rain water and hope for rain before I thirst to death?

EDIT: Just found Dunk's b79 let's play. That looks like it will be very informational.

It looks like you missed the fact that you don't actually starve to death in TFC. Your nutrition depletes faster, but you never actually drop below 50 max HP. So when your hunger bar is empty, you do not take damage.

Oh, that's very very good to know! Thanks! Then I don't have to panic about food as quickly.

I also found out that certain lakes you can't drink from with hands but can with a jug.

Had a really good start this time, on a clay field with both pigs and cows nearby and a few lakes that I could get water from with jugs. Also found some soybean seeds.

Now, considering that the area is dominated by douglas firs and sycamores, I just have to worry about a circle of twelve sycamore saplings and a red curtain...

early food: you have to search a bit for fruit (berry bushes and trees), vegetable/grain/soybeans (wild crops, wait till mature) and, as a last resort, Sea Weed (Saltwater). I had survived the first winter without hunger almost only with Sea Weed. I was low on food since I had no clay for vessels and a long way to walk and swimm till I found it.

Oh, so I shouldnt gather the plants for seeds then. Is there any in-game way to see if something is ripe? Other than comparing sprites to the wiki?

Thanks a lot. It didn't seem to work on wild plants, but I simply waited until all the tomato plants had the same sprite and then harvested them. Now I have fresh water, a decently safe base, and food for at least a few days as well as six newly planted tomato plants, and some kind of wild onion/leek/garlic/whatever I haven't dared harvest yet.

Woohoo, for once I'm surviving at least a few days.

I also saw some chickens in the woods, but then I got lost and had to spend a night running from zombies so I don't know if I can manage to find them again...

EDIT: One thing I love with TFC that I haven't seen in _any_ other minecraft mod, is that it creates stories. It doesn't play the same way every time, and it feels like you could actually write a short story based on a (hc) playthrough. I guess it's part the "believability", and part the way you fight the environment rather than just building up a safe spot in no time.

As far as wild crops go - as far as I know, TFC starts in summer instead of spring, which makes it much easier to find ripe crops.

Most of them should be ripe and ready to eat or will be soon, when you start a new game.

You can actually still drink without a jug: shift-rightclick on fresh water. It's drinking-through-standing that was removed.

You can actually still drink without a jug: shift-rightclick on fresh water. It's drinking-through-standing that was removed.

You do not have to shift to drink. You just have to right click on the face of a block that is exposed to fresh water.

Stringburka,I've encountered a bug where you are unable to drink from fresh water with your hands, but can with a jug, so you may be encountering the same bug.Simply deleting the config file seems to fix it most of the time.

Stringburka,I've encountered a bug where you are unable to drink from fresh water with your hands, but can with a jug, so you may be encountering the same bug.Simply deleting the config file seems to fix it most of the time.

Which config should I delete to fix this bug?

Which config should I delete to fix this bug?

There is no config file that has anything to do with drinking water. It's much more likely that just the act of restarting your game (which you have to do when you delete a config) fixes the bug, and the deleting of any config is completely unnecessary.