Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
morganm

Panning with sand just as good as gravel?

7 posts in this topic

I've always don panning with gravel.  Does panning with sand work just as well? 

Also it seems we can refil our gold pan from blocks under water now.  Does it actually yield nuggets? 

I've not done any sort of official observation of it, but I seem to get less "junk ores" (i.e. platinum) when panning through sand.

Panning with gravel used to give a higher chance of ores while sand gave a higher chance of gems. I can not recall if it has been changed.

I always go to the beach, dig one block in, so i have flowing water and then i aim at the block under the flowing water and hold down the right mouse button. Works up to 3 blocks under water, once they are gone, just drop 3 more in and go again.

I've always don panning with gravel.  Does panning with sand work just as well? 

Also it seems we can refil our gold pan from blocks under water now.  Does it actually yield nuggets? 

Sand and gravel are exactly the same. You can only refill your gold pan from under flowing water, because Minecraft doesn't give a correct hitbox to it. You cannot fill your pan from blocks that are underneath water sources. I'm not sure what your last question is asking, but if you can fill your pan, and you can empty it, then you do have a chance of getting nuggets.

I've not done any sort of official observation of it, but I seem to get less "junk ores" (i.e. platinum) when panning through sand.

That's entirely random and due to luck, there is no difference when panning with sand vs gravel.

Panning with gravel used to give a higher chance of ores while sand gave a higher chance of gems. I can not recall if it has been changed.

That's for sluicing, not for panning. You cannot get gems from a gold pan.

Oops, I stand corrected... Carry on.

Sand and gravel are exactly the same. You can only refill your gold pan from under flowing water, because Minecraft doesn't give a correct hitbox to it. You cannot fill your pan from blocks that are underneath water sources. I'm not sure what your last question is asking, but if you can fill your pan, and you can empty it, then you do have a chance of getting nuggets.

That's entirely random and due to luck, there is no difference when panning with sand vs gravel.

That's for sluicing, not for panning. You cannot get gems from a gold pan.

Yes, I was refilling my pan from sand that was under a flowing block of water.  Thaks for clarifying!