Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Zzapdragon

Cast Iron (not tools)

9 posts in this topic

So I have had this idea for awhile, I've been tossing it around In my head and thought i'd share. First off I've been getting into bronze casting at home, I've got this cast iron ingot cast I use when I'm practicing with lead. It gave me some ideas and is quite fun you guys should try it.

I thought maybe once you hit the iron age with the bloomery you have the option to make upgraded versions of tool moulds. It would be a reusable mould that wouldn't break on the first use. Now whether it has a limited number of uses or its completely indestructible is up to the devs. I also thought of a cast iron skillet or pot maybe to expand upon the food system. I do feel however that you should need the crucible for iron casting and not just do it in your inventory. Like you would need to manually tip the crucible in order to poor the liquid iron into the iron mould. The iron mould would have to be a block of some casting material other than just clay, like fire clay or what i use at home, greensand. I feel this would create an industrial feel to the game and for a multiplayer server would allow a town create multiple axe heads quite quickly instead of forging them. I don't wan't forging to be ignored because of this. I do have the fear of this becoming easier than forging and less time comsuming. So you should only be able to do this with bronzes and copper. So if someone wanted an iron pick they gotta forge it. This would just be so that an impatient smith could pump out a ton of pickaxes at once for mass mining.

So to make sure I'm understanding this, you're essentially suggesting a re-usable tool/weapon head cast that is made out of iron, instead of clay?

Other than the fact that the resource use may be less (depending on how much you value iron vs clay), I don't see how this would be any faster.

I can make 16 ceramic pickaxe molds, fire a vessel, and then put those molds into the liquid metal vessel one after another. Then take all of the filled molds and turn them into 16 heads pretty much simultaneously in the crafting grid.

With an iron mold, I'd have to cast one, remove it, cast the second one, remove it, cast the third, remove it, etc, etc.

4 heads at a time, maybe? It's a block, it should contain more stuff.

Also: Firing a vessel is far too time consuming than melting ingots and ores on a crucible.

Also: Firing a vessel is far too time consuming than melting ingots and ores on a crucible.

How so? With a vessel you just throw the ores in, light it and walk away. You have to babysit a crucible and put the ores in separately at different times, as well as making sure that the forge has fuel the whole time.

I think he's talking about the time it takes for the pit kiln to finish.

Sure, it takes more resources and babysitting while the pit kiln-smelting is a set and forget(or set and nearly-forget I suppose), but overall, I'm pretty sure it takes less time then the time it takes for a pit kiln to finish.

It just depends. If you have to do lots of other things and have plenty of time, the pit kiln method will be better, as it requires minimum attention and you can also do other things while the pit kiln burns, but if you need that tool right now, right this instant, a crucible will be better as you can melt the ore down and get the metal in a few moments, albeit at the cost of more resources.

Other than the fact that the resource use may be less (depending on how much you value iron vs clay), I don't see how this would be any faster.

I think what he means is we would be able to line up a ton of crucibles of molten metal and molds, then kinda run along pouring the metal out of all of them, having them fill more or less simultaneously instead of feeding them in one at a time. And if we could just right-click to get the tool head out, all you would need to do to mass-produce tool heads will be to get lots of crucibles and molds, fill the crucibles up with metal, then simply walk down the line one way, tipping the metal in, then walk the other way, getting the heads out, and repeat.

If done right, it will take much less time then opening up the crucible, waiting for each mold to fill one after the other, then putting each and every mold into your crafting grid to get the tool heads out.

I like this idea. What it really reminds me of is the recently added method for creating torches, that is just right clicking on a torch with a stick, though less efficient I don't have to go into a menu and I can just right click until I have enough, plus now I can just carry sticks around and one stack of torches without having to make a fire pit every few blocks.

With the convenience factor I think this proposal is on that same tier because even though the molds + vessel method works fine being able to make 4, 8 or even 12 tools all at once without having to look at the vessel UI, or any UI for that matter, just seems so convenient and relaxing.

LiesTECH

maybe for the crucible you could throw stuff in like logs in a campfire

maybe for the crucible you could throw stuff in like logs in a campfire

That's not how crucibles work. Please at least attempt to put some thought into your suggestions to make them believable.

No way, if you start throwing ores in the crucible, it will amplify the risk of making unknown alloy by accident. Throwing coal in a forge, however, may be handy.