Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
grandfather_pahomich

New skills

14 posts in this topic

I suggest 13 skills:

Name         |                  Using                                               |   How to raise the level         |

1 submariner    | You can stay under water longer.                 |  diving

2 woodcutter    |   You can chop trees faster.                           |  chopping trees

3 runner           |    You can run longer.                                     |   running

4 warrior           |    You can beat mobs stronger.                      |   fighting

5 Hercules        |    You can carry heavy items.                         |  carring heavy items

6 sharp eye      |    You can see in night better.                        |  seing world in night

7 sculptor         |    Chisel breaks smaller in working                 |   crafting  sculptures

8 firestarter      |   You have a better chance start fireplace.   |  starting fireplaces

9 gardener(1)   |    You can get more harvest.                          |   getting harvest

10 gardener(2) |You have a better chance of getting saplings |  getting saplings

11 jumper         |     You can jump farther                                  |  jumping

12 sniper          |     You can shoot mobs stronger                    |  shooting

13 fisherman    |      You can wind up the line faster.                 |  fishing

Before anything else, that TFC's skill system is trying as hard as possible to avoid the "Do X action # times to unlock something critical to gameplay." The rewards generally make sense for the action that has been done.

• There is really no way to keep track of this, and the benefit isn't worth the effort. There are other ways in Minecraft to stay underwater indefinitely without drowning.
  • Get a better axe, and you will be able to chop trees faster.
  • You can already run forever as long as you stay hydrated.
  • Get better weapons, and you will deal more damage.
  • No way to keep track of this, and the reward would be extremely OP.
  • No way to keep track of this, turn up your brightness or gamma if you are having a hard time seeing.
  • No. The detailed mode of the chisel is too widely use to put an arbitrary bottleneck on having to unlock it. Chiseling will never be more detailed than the current small blocks.
  • Make a flint & steel, and you will light fires the first time every time.
  • There is already an agriculture skill. The amount of harvest that you get from a crop is already based on real life values, it would not make sense for a player who keeps growing the same variety of crop to suddenly be able to pull a larger harvest from it. If a tomato plant is consistently growing 16 oz of tomatoes on it, no amount of skill will make it so you can pull 32 oz of tomatoes off. And even if you argue you might be able to grow plants with a better harvest, then anybody with any skill level would be able to take the bigger harvest, even if they have no skill at all.
  • Stop using a scythe, and start using shears. Shears allow you to quickly break leaves, without the reduced drop rates from using a scythe.
  • No.
  • You can already 1-hit the majority of mobs with a bow and arrow, you don't need anything stronger. Make sure you are fully drawing the bow back.
  • The butchering skill is already tied to fishing. Winding in a line faster no matter your skill level in real life is still going to mostly result in you breaking the line. The real skill in fishing is knowing when to reel, how hard to reel, and when to give some slack, not reeling in as fast as humanly possible.

Edit: Remember that skill is very different from muscle memory or strength. Skills are based on knowledge, not conditioning your body to be super human.

I don't say what player can raise your skills many. Suggested me the skills can mean physical force Player (Run longer. Wear heavy things. Jump on. Swim under water longer). The player can earn in any business experience (How to cut down trees? How to beat mobs? How to grow more crops and how to collect more saplings?). This gives the game more realistic.

Name              |   How many times the maximum value is greater than the original? |

1 submariner    |   x2

2 woodcutter    |  x1.5

3 runner           |  x1.5

4 warrior          | x1.5

5 Hercules        |  2 anvil 

6 sharp eye      |    

7 sculptor         |

8 firestarter      | x2    

9 gardener(1)   | +5 oz 

10 gardener(2) |  x 2

11 jumper         | 3 blocks

12 sniper          | x 1.5    

13 fisherman  

A chance to start a fire and getting  saplings should be lowered for the development of skills.

#11 Being able to jump up more than one block would be crazy, no matter how good of shape you are in. Being able to casually jump up a meter is a little hard to believe, but in that, you would be able to jump higher than a horse can in real life.

#5 Have you ever actualy tried to lift up an anvil? I have, and they are not moved easily. That is to ignor the ablity of players to move several tons of rock and wood at any time without any penalties. To me, it isnt believable to be able to lift more than one cubic meter of rock at a time. Being stronger would be crazy, and inhuman.

The rest are unneccesary, and becoming faster in thoughs is supposed to be the result of technilogical advancement in metals and such.

Many people use the smart moving mod, which can already do a lot more (like climbing blocks, crawling and sprinting). 

I dont want to go into all the skills seperately, some are good suggestions, other not so. I want to point out that skill usually is a combination of both muscle memory and knowledge, depending on what skill we are talking about.

So it would make sense to aquire skills in some way. Knowlegde is very limited in games, as the mechanics of a game have their limitations. That is why devs came up with the idea of XP, combining both muscle memory and knowledge into something called a skill.

A good example would be archery, i tried this with little succes. A lot depend on how you move your body, breathe, how you hold the string, how you release it.... things that would be no fun to actually all have to do in a game, translate this to a skill and you have an experience bar that combines all this little details into something you can master without having to go through all the details.

Second of all i think it would be cool to extend the TFC experience, It is  through some things can be aquired by getting better tools. I play on a server in a town in which we aquired more than enough red/blue steel and we have a fulltime smith. All new players can just pick their tools and get going. So someone new in the minecraft world could just as well mine, quarry or cut trees as anyone else (i know that in mining there is a knowledge factor too, but i think i made my point clear). Besides, after having improved some skills there is little incentive to keep working on them.

I had in mind an addition to the prospecting skill. In the cooking skill you know better your taste profile and the taste of food, in agricolture you know the type of nutrient that a crop needs. I was thinking, maybe when you advance with prospecting, you could get a short list of what ores spawn in a stone type when you press shift on that stone, or maybe the opposite, you know, by pressing shift over the ore, in what type of stone it spawns. This could save you time that otherwise you would spend by switching game-wiki-game when you need a certain ore. It also makes enough sense to have that, because if you get good at prospecting, it's assumed that you know what you're searching for in a certain rock deposit.

I would suggest that you make a thread for your suggestion since it is off topic to the OP and will be lost in this thread. Kitty was very clear this is exactly the type of skill system they don't want and politely explained why. So it is unlikely she or other devs will read this thread.

• There is really no way to keep track of this, and the benefit isn't worth the effort. There are other ways in Minecraft to stay underwater indefinitely without drowning.

What about that massive NBT map each player entity has?

What about that massive NBT map each player entity has?

Storing the data is not the problem. Checking every time that the player is underwater and saving how long they have been underwater is. Going underwater for 1 second does not increase your ability to stay underwater for long periods of time.

Pretty sure there are either events or specific hookable method calls for entities entering and leaving the fluid blocks. mAtmos did provide engines for all that for a long time in any way.

Edit:

I mean, engines that listen to those events, not engines that provide events.

And I was actually referring to the fact that it IS trackable how much distance the player had himself swimming - this all is tracked by the vanilla on the stat screen.

You're missing the point. The only way to train to be able to hold your breath longer is to hold it as long as possible over and over and over again. Very slowly then will you build up endurance.

But the skill system in TFC doesn't represent endurance. If anything, the only thing that does is XP levels, which is why the damage from "drowning" doesn't hurt you as much compared to your max health when you are at a higher level than when you are at a lower one. So by definition of the XP system and increasing max health, you can already stay underwater longer without dying, because you have more health to lose from the drowning damage.

I'm only answering on the part that "there's no way to keep track of this", not'n more. There is, in fact, a way to keep track of almost everything that's happening in the game, and this becomes more and more true as build versions keep climbing.

You're missing the point. The only way to train to be able to hold your breath longer is to hold it as long as possible over and over and over again. Very slowly then will you build up endurance.

But the skill system in TFC doesn't represent endurance. If anything, the only thing that does is XP levels, which is why the damage from "drowning" doesn't hurt you as much compared to your max health when you are at a higher level than when you are at a lower one. So by definition of the XP system and increasing max health, you can already stay underwater longer without dying, because you have more health to lose from the drowning damage.

Have the player able to hold their breath longer if they drown? :P

On the fishing thing, I think it might be nice if when you are experienced in fishing, you get more messages about it, like when you cast the line(or something else I suppose), you can get a message saying thins like 'There seems to be a lot of fish here, you will probably be able to catch a lot', 'You don't see much fish. It might take a while to catch some', 'There is no fish here, you're better off going somewhere else', or other messages like 'The line is getting taunt/stressed/whatever you call it, you might want to give some slack', 'The fish is getting away, reel the line' or something like that, kindof like advanced cooking/agriculture skill giving more information in the field.